• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
For Every Storm There's a Calm

The heart of the Val Roan Capital was the perfect portrait of tranquility. Deer, ponies, and other creatures filled the streets of the Sandstone District, murmuring in warm wonderment as families continued to reunite with long-estranged Soul Sentries. Hundreds if not thousands of citizens gawked at the desert skies, at the levitating black spheres and sudden absence of two murderous warships.

While the locals milled about, the warriors from the Tarkington paced anxiously. Seclorum sat squat on the bottom steps of the High Council building, glancing aside at Arcshod and the other two Xonans. Phoenix leaned tiredly against his mace while Tweak bandaged the last of Lucky Strike's crystalline scrapes. Crimson trotted in nervous circles while Josho and Eagle Eye kept their eyes trained northeast.

“Chrysalis is... uh...” Josho scratched his head. “She's maintained n'all, right?”

“Rainbow Dash wouldn't let us down,” Eagle Eye murmured. “Besides, you saw what happened to the Soul Sentries.”

“Still.” Josho shrugged. “What if it's all a ruse on behalf of the Changeling Queen?”

“I doubt it.” Eagle smiled tenderly. “I can't imagine Ebon Mane would have let her get away with it.”

“Heh...” Josho smirked. “So long as somepony's capable of reaching out to that bug bitch.”

“One hundred and thirty-two,” Crimson muttered.

Josho and Eagle blinked at him. “Huh?”

Crimson sighed. “Nothing.” He swiveled about. “I presume that we accomplished what we came out here to do?”

“It would seem that way, Mane McMuscles,” Josho droned.

“Is it just me?” Phoenix leaned into the conversation. “Or did it all seem a bit... I dunno... easy?

“Is that so friggin' wrong?” Seclorum grunted. “It's about damn time something went our way.”

“Without too grave of a cost, you mean,” Crimson said.

“Yeah...” Phoenix nodded, sighing. “But, for all we know, Rainbow Dash could be duking it out to the death with the goblin market or some-crap.”

“You'd think we'd hear something from her by now,” Tweak said from where he sat.

Lucky Strike spoke up, “But with these space lizards here—how could we possibly lose?”

“You can still win the battle and lose more than you'd want to,” Eagle said, once again his eyes locked northeast. “I... just wanna know what Ebon's up to.”

“Keeping Queen Crusty-Pants at bay.” Josho patted Eagle's shoulder. “Just have a little patience. We'll find out what's up soon enough.”

“Heh...” Seclorum smirked at his old friend. “You really are a different stallion these days, Josho.”

“Yeah, well, maybe I just got tired of outgalloping my age.” Josho cracked a few joints in his neck. “I've flown over battles, oceans, and pegasus sex craters. Now I've got a big flippin' death desert staring me in the face.”

“Think it's finally time to holster the shotgun for good?” Seclorum asked.

“I'll be holstering something, alright. Just don't think it's the cannon you're expecting.”

“Please, old stallion,” Eagle Eye grumbled. “Not in front of my former soldiers.”

Crimson and Phoenix could only chuckle.

“Portapotty!” Constable Jake's voice wafted down towards them, along with his foul breath. The large moose descended the steps, smirking at the battle-strewn courtyard beneath everyone's hooves. “Looks like I missed one Hell of a party!”

“Spark alive!” Lucky Strike wheezed, shuddering. “It's a talking mountain with wool!”

“You're cute too, bunny boy.” Jake looked at Josho and Eagle Eye. He opened his mouth again to speak, but stopped. The moose glanced to his right.

Tweak stared back, squinting from beneath the brim of his hat. “... … ...”

Jake blinked, shook it off, then gazed at his friends again. “Figured you could lead this crowd by example.”

“Erm...” Eagle Eye squirmed. “In what way?”

“I mean bow your stinkin' heads, ya pisstakers!” Jake cleared his throat and boomed before the crowd. “All Hail, King Lunarius of the House of Evo!”

Several loud gasps rippled through the crowd. Deer and ponies dropped instantly, lowering their antlers and manes. Josho, Eagle Eye, Crimson, Phoenix and the rest followed suit, remaining as respectful as they could.

Lunarius kept a tall, proud pose as he descended the steps. His broad antlers scattered the sunlight as he tilted his head about, rolling his gaze across the humble masses. Shortly after him, a fair doe and a tiny fawn trotted down.

“His glorious wife, Queen Azira of the House of Evo!” The Constable broke a tiny smile across his slobbery face. “And their wise and totally-not-kidnapped-or-dead son, Prince Eine of the House of Evo!” It was his turn to bow, and he did so with a surprising amount of grace.

Eine glanced about, breathless. His amber eyes sparkled to see everyone alive and well, including the Soul Sentries, whose faces registered emotion and reverence.

When, at last, the royal family had reached the edge of the Courtyard, King Lunarius cleared his throat and spoke firmly: “Citizens of Val Roa, you may rise.”

Everyone stood up, smiling wide. Some murmured in awe; others sobbed in joy and contentment. Every warm set of eyes within the Capital fell upon their benevolent rulers.

“The Queen and I have been gone for far too long,” Lunarius said, drawing a hush from the crowd as he spoke with boundless authority. “As a consequence of diabolical meddling, we were forcibly separated from the kingdom that we've been sworn to protect! But—as it would so happen—God has not short of miracles in our absence. Someway, somehow, Providence delivered us a cabal of heroes—the Noble Jury—and it is because of their intervention that this City survives the plot of its aggressors without a scratch on it!”

Up above, Duchess Arcanista emerged atop the High Council Building's steps, accompanied by Kera, Nilla, Mamunia, and Jet. The servants gazed in awe at the gathered crowd. When they turned to look at the Duchess, Arcanista's eyes were welling with tears.

“The monster that sought to enslave this city and spread suffering and misery has been neutralized, Lunarius continued. “She is now a prisoner of the state, and she owes her fealty—as well as her very life—to us. If the very devil can be pacified, then what's to stop the glory of Val Roa from shining everlastingly?! From this day forth, may we never risk losing our kingdom to oblivion! We've always stood upon the desolate dunes of the Grand Choke, representing civilization's endearing spirit within this continent. Now it is up to us to make sure our future never sees a day nearly as dark as this one, for our children's sake... and their children's children's...”

Midnite Bastion emerged behind Arcanista and the others. She stared at the Royal Family and the loudly cheering crowds gathered below. A deep sigh ran through her figure. She looked aside, and her gaze narrowed.

Floydien stood along the fringes of the courtyard. He was the only creature not staring at the King, Queen, or Prince. His antlers framed a head that was locked upon the southern cityscape.

Chewing on the edge of her lip, Midnite galloped swiftly down the steps.

Arcanista's head jerked aside, spotting the mare as she reunited with the Duchess' sibling.

Midnite Bastion came to a stop, pausing with a nervous fidget. At last, she cleared her throat, trotting closer to the elk's flanks. “Floyd...?” She winced slightly, then spoke louder. “Floydien?”

The elk continued to gaze south.

So, calmly, she sat beside him, speaking below the roaring noise of the cheering Val Roans.

“What is it? What's wrong?” She shuddered, forcing a smile across her dark muzzle. “We... uh... we won, didn't we?”

Floydien's brow furrowed. At last, the pilot muttered, “Floydien has been here before...”

Midnite blinked.

“...only, Floydien wonders...” His ears flickered as his red eyes turned moist. “...is Nancy truly gone from Floydien's life for good?”

A sad sigh escaped Midnite's lips. She sniffled, the murmured, “I'm so sorry, Floydien.” She fought a lump in her throat. “It was I who left you.”

His eyes fell to the concrete below upon hearing that.

“I... I sent you away,” she murmured. “I supported the lie of my death... out of loyalty to my father.” She quivered, tears flowing. “A father who is no longer here... who never r-really was...” She shuddered, rubbing her face with a forelimb. “I don't blame you for leaving. I... I never could, Floydien, I...”

He slowly turned to gaze at her.

After a few quiet sobs, she found the peace to mutter, “I envied you, y'know. I refused to believe you were dead. Deep down, I figured, you were just off... being yourself. Or finding a new self. And... and I envied that. That freedom... that lack of attachment that you were supposedly enjoying. But now... now that all that's ever meant anything to me is gone, I...” She shook her head, fighting another wave of sobs. “I don't want that freedom! It's... it's too bizarre. Too crazy. I... I don't know where to go...” She whimpered. “I don't know what to do...”

She hung her head, quivering where she sat.

To her surprise, a strong hoof rested on her shoulder, gentle and warm.

She looked up, muzzle shaking.

Floydien gazed at her. Deadpan. “Then there are two boomers that are now Floydien...” He slowly nodded. “Yes yes yes...?”

Midnite stared at him. She smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek. Exhaling, she leaned against his large side, shutting her eyes as she fought more pent-up sobs.

Floydien kept a forelimb draped over her as he weathered her shakes. Meanwhile, he gazed south, staring calmly at the desert skies beyond the bronze summits of Val Roa.

PreviousChapters Next