• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Echoes In the Well of Silence

Rainbow Dash was trotting before she had even woken up. Her bleary eyes rolled back, and she winced from the stiffness in her limbs.

The mare looked down. Dull gray stone rolled under her at an even pace. She must have descended from the mountain sometime during the night. She simply didn't remember when it was that she embarked... or if she was even cognizant of doing so.

She tried tilting her head up only once, but regretted it. The sunlight was too painful on her tired eyes. She considered sitting down, but something told her that her limbs might ache even more if she stopped.

So, with a brief groan, she fought the urge to retire... and simply kept trotting...


At some point, she couldn't see the stone in front of her.

Rainbow Dash didn't understand why, until she realized that night had fallen again.

She tilted her head up, instantly cracking the stiff joints in her neck.

Stars and more stars.

A quarter moon lingered along the western horizon, splitting the black canvas of the night.

Rainbow felt thirsty. Her ears itched.

She trotted on.


Rainbow sat on a cliff, overlooking a sea of mountains.

She held a piece of Heaven's Slice in her scuffed, bruised hoof... but she didn't eat it.

The mare couldn't remember how long she had fasted at this point. Her exhaustion had risen to such a level that she almost didn't register the pain of hunger anymore.

There was no telling how long she might last without eating, but there was even less knowing how many mountains lingered between her and Yaerfaerda.

She rubbed her pendant, gave the remaining slices a burst of Harmonic energy, and slid them back in her pack.

She laid back on her flank, shuddering, eyes darting between wispy clouds.

By the time her stomach felt hot, she rolled over, picked up her things, and lurched eastward.


Fine fissures ran through the stone earth. Rainbow Dash followed one. She made a game out of keeping her left hooves on one side of the crack and her right limbs on the other.

Every now and then, she'd feel a gust of cold wind and she'd look up with a startled gasp.

Yaerfaerda lingered towards the right of her vision. The fissures had carried her slightly north.

Sighing, Rainbow gave up on the lines and stumbled towards a series of jagged mountains.


Rainbow lay on her side, curled up besides the jutting edge of a plateau's cliff.

Her pack lay beside her, nestled against her limp tail.

She had rolled a blanket out, but hadn't bothered to cover herself with it.

Perhaps it was night, or perhaps it wasn't.

Rainbow Dash was too worn out to feel hot or cold.

She hugged her limbs to her chest, staring into the plains of desolation. Her eyes sloped over the rising peaks beyond.

She said nothing... dreamt nothing...

There was no more sleep. Only lingering.

Time passed, and dust followed along with it.


Rainbow Dash turned the nozzle on a cylinder of Nebulum.

Nothing happened.

She stared dully at it for several minutes, trying to register the significance of its dormancy.

She turned the container's nozzle again.

It had nothing to release.

Rainbow gave the glass jar a firm shake. She put her ear to it. Then, sighing, she tossed the item ineffectually behind her and reached into her bag for the remaining tube.

....clank!

Rainbow gasped, spinning around with wide eyes. She hadn't expected to hear the impact of the container at such a distance. She found herself staring west into a gigantic canyon stretching north and south behind her. Had she just scaled it?

As she continued contemplating this, Rainbow heard the impact again, this time reverberating off of every stone crag and chiseled cliff face in the entire ravine. The canyon was so steep and immense that its echoes magnified the smallest thing by tenfold.

Rainbow sat in place for a full minute, holding her breath as she listened to the Nebulum container's continued echo. It rose like thunder, sounding off louder... then growing faint once more.

At last, she was left with just her quivering pulse.

Biting her lip, Rainbow Dash reached out, grabbed a rock, and heaved it off the cliff. The stone fell out of view. After a moment of silence, it struck something. The canyon sang with a gunshot, growing faint, loud again, then dissipating like an invisible banshee.

Rainbow Dash stared. She hyperventilated. Then, teeth gnashing, she snarled like a canine and stood up, facing the west with a hideous frown.

She screamed.

She screamed loud and long.

The entire landscape vibrated with the resulting echoes. Pebbles rolled off their ancient perches and fell for the first time in centuries. Dust blew, twirled, then settled again.

The reverberations lasted for a blissfully agonizing two minutes.

As soon as they were done, Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and howled again, this time high-pitched and haunting.

A flock of banshees flew unseen circles through the depths of the canyon. They rose up into the wispy yellow sky before Rainbow Dash had any opportunity to see them.

Her ears folded back. She cracked a grin, chuckling, laughing. Then—as her muzzle went tight—she pulled at her facial features, then collapsed on her side as her body let out another scream, wailing this time. She was halfway through the exhale when her lungs caved in, and the shout turned into a sob. Rainbow curled up into a little ball, wheezing as the echoes returned, surrounding her, filling her ears like a busy room full of ponies.

She clenched her tearing eyes shut, drowning in the beautiful noise. Beneath her lids, she saw brief bursts of color:warm, lively, and loving. She hugged herself tighter, teeth gritting as she endured the all-too-fleeting moment. Then, with terrible swiftness, the noise ended. All was silent and cold as ash, and Rainbow Dash could hear her weeping breaths again.

Exhaustion took her before she could be an audience for long.

PreviousChapters Next