• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
All Good Things, Coming to End

“Did you really... honestly spend six whole hours shopping for coats and scarves today?” Josho asked.

Ebon Mane giggled while Eagle Eye blushed. The group of Jurists sat in a luxurious lounge besides a balcony overlooking the night-drenched capital. Specks of starlight blossomed across the veil of night in the distance. “Look, Ebon and I are going to be living someplace really... really cold for a while,” Eagle said. “I wanted to be prepared for the long haul up at Ether Point.”

“Yeah! Heehee!” Ebon smiled rosily. “With six different wardrobes!”

“Oh Eagle...” Bellesmith smiled coyly from where she sat beside Pilate and Kera. “I do hope the two of you come to visit often. I'm going to miss you being you.”

Eagle pouted, his lavender cheeks growing red. “So... s-so what if I like winter gear?” He shuddered while Ebon nuzzled him. “All the cloaks, gloves, and furs?” He shrugged. “It's one of the few occasions I have to truly... truly accessorize.”

“Heeheehee!” Props giggled, winking at the others. “I guess if EE stayed here in the desert, he would have built up a collection of multi-colored pith helmets!”

Eagle bit his lip. “...who says I haven't thought of it?”

“More power to you both,” Zaid said, sitting beside Props. “Living in a place that cold would drive me mad.”

“It won't be that bad,” Ebon Mane said with a shrug. “When we're not keeping watch over Mother, we'll be certain to improve the facility in any way we can. According to the llamas' latest report, they dug pretty deep into the mountain, creating a supply station. We could dig further, providing Val Roa with a spacious interior for storing tools on future expeditions.”

“Assuming King Lunarius ever decides to fund a project that utilizes skystone deposits, then that just might be feasible,” Roarke said.

Booster Spice squinted. “Wouldn't that create a conflict with the Lounge?”

Roarke calmly replied from where she stood along the fringes of the room. “I'll be an intercessor, if need be.”

“Roarke Most Rare,” Pilate remarked with a grin. “Ever the wise ambassador.”

“Feh... so long as somepony else is,” Kera muttered.

Belle glanced aside at her. “No longer fond of the royal princess treatment? You do realize that you've earned enough favor with the Val Roan Monarchy to practically become the real thing.”

“Yeah!” Props waved her hooves in the air. “'Duchess Kera Tin Mehjj of Xona!'” She giggled. “Has a nice ring to it, ya think?”

“Yeah, if you like cracked dumbbells,” Josho belched.

“Ugggh...” Kera shuddered from head to tail. “No thank you.”

“Awwwwwww...” Props cooed. “But you make for such a cute, tattooed dollll!”

“It's not the dresses n'junk,” Kera muttered. “I'm just sick and tired of that little fawn leaning on me all the time.”

“Who, Prince Eine?” Pilate grinned. “He does seem rather fond of you.”

“And, judging from the King's rugged looks...” Belle leaned in to nuzzle the filly. “I'm certain he'll grow into quite the handsome buck someday.”

“Ewww! Quit it!” Kera batted Belle's cheek away like a fussing feline, shivering all over as she stuck her tongue out. “I swear, I'd be better off living with the turtles!”

“Uh oh!” Props giggled again. “Somepony has a secret crush!”

“I do not!” Kera stomped her hoof, though she couldn't stop the redness spreading between her muzzle-lines.

“Hrmmmph...” Roarke folded her forelimbs as she sat back on her haunches. “...breeders.”

“Yeah!” Kera mimicked the Searonese mare's pose. “What she said!”

“Perhaps it's a good thing Roarke's taking an extended leave,” Pilate remarked. “Or else Kera might find it fashionable to start replacing her organs with mana-devices.”

“Hey!” Kera grinned wide. “That would be cool!”

Roarke's blue eyes squinted. “Would you be so kind as to procure the alcohol for dipping the bone saws in, child?”

Kera nearly wretched. “Uhhhh... on second thought...” She swiveled towards Belle. “Up for shopping for dresses sometime soon?”

Belle laughed merrily. The chuckles echoed across the room as Zaid, Props, Ebon and Eagle Eye joined in.

This was what Rainbow Dash trotted in on. The petite pegasus stood upon the edge of the lounge, gazing at all of the chatting, laughing ponies sitting together. She placed down Luna's satchel as well as the bag of items Arcanista had just given her. Free of the weight, she leaned against a bronze pillar. A heavy sigh escaped her lips, meanwhile her ruby eyes darted from face to warm face.

Soon, Rainbow's vision fogged. Her ears folded back as a misty cloud spread across her eyes. She sniffled more than once, shivering slightly.

At last—after glancing and past Roarke—she clenched her jaw tight. The pony inhaled deeply, flexed her wing muscles, then trotted straight forward, sporting a devilish smirk.

“Why the hay is everypony sitting around doing nothing?!” her voice cracked. “Did Zaid finally eat up all the grilled cheese?”

Booster turned and grinned. “Hey! Rainbow!”

“Rainbow Dash!” Kera trotted over on rapid legs and gave Rainbow's chest a gleeful nuzzle. “Where've you been all day?”

“Where else, squirt?” Rainbow reached a hoof down and ruffled the filly's emerald mane. “Learning some awesome stuff about the Grand Choke.”

“Awesome?” Kera leaned back, blinking. “How?”

“'Cuz I'll be the first and only pegasus to scale it.” Rainbow winked. “That's how.” She flapped her wings and hovered in the center of the group. “When I'm done with this part of the world, they're gonna be calling it the 'Grand Chump,' I swear to Luna!”

“Hahaha!” Zaid slapped his knee. “You and only you, Rainbow!”

“Arcanista hooked you up, I take it?” Josho asked.

“And how!” Rainbow winked. “Or, if I felt stupid, I could eat myself to death with a bunch of uber bread crumbs. But that'd be pretty anticlimactic, don't you think?”

“I'd say!” Props said. “Have a squat, Dashie!”

“First thing's first...” Rainbow gestured wildly with her hooves. “Where's the cider?”

“The servants brought some about an hour ago,” Pilate said, gesturing in the general direction of a table in front of him and Belle. “We didn't bother partaking yet because... well...”

“That's okay, Stripesy.” Rainbow winked, nevertheless dashing forward and lifting a pitcher. “I wouldn't drink without me either.” A slight giggle, and then she pivoted about. “Say... where's Floydien and Midnite?”

“Beats me,” Booster Spice said, shrugging. “Floydien's been out and about on his own all over the place.”

“Midnite's probably visiting her father,” Ebon Mane spoke up. “Saikano's volunteered to accompany us and Mother on the way to settling at Ether Point.”

“Should be one heck of a cold trip,” Eagle Eye added, resting a forelimb around Ebon's side. “Nothing a good bit of snuggling inside our tents can't fix.”

“EE...” Ebon blushed, fidgeting in protest. “Must you...?

“Yes.” Eagle nuzzled Ebon's cheek, smirking. “I must.”

“Hmmff...” Josho smirked, leaning against a pillar. “That's the Princess I raised...”

“Don't give yourself too much credit, old stallion.”

“Whelp...” Rainbow Dash poured herself a cup of cider and raised the glass. “Guess it's Floydien's and Midnite's loss, eh? Let's drink to the stars.”

“Sure thing!” Props lunged for her own glass.

“Uhm...” Booster Spice blinked under his goggles. “Why the stars?”

“Because there're so dang many of them, ya fuzzhead!” Rainbow stuck her tongue out. In her peripheral vision, she spotted an ice-cold pair of blue eyes staring her way. She gave Roarke a distant smirk, then raised her glass. “So... y'know... to skies red and gold... the evenings and dawns that brought us together more times than they spread us apart.”

“To the Noble Jury!” Zaid shouted, raising his glass.

Belle and Pilate joined in, followed by Eagle Eye, Ebon Mane, and the rest. “To the Noble Jury.” And they all took liberal sips.

Roarke took a deep breath, gazing melancholically beyond the star-kissed balcony. “Amen...”

PreviousChapters Next