• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Necessary Things To Do For Tomorrow

“Boss!” An imp ran up from the lower decks of the Gamma ship. “We've got the skystone engines online!”

“Then what are you waiting for?!” Haman snarled, heaving in his metal walker.

“We... er... we have to ascend in order to clear the mountains, sir.”

“Are you kidding me?!” Haman spat, his teeth showing. He leaned forward in his steamy seat. “We need the forward momentum to evade the Lounge!”

“But sir, if we don't engage the skystone engines, then we'll never—”

“Engage them now, damn you!” Haman shook a metal claw. “No mountain is going to stand in the way of—”

“Incoming!” several goblins yelled as they ran for the stairwell leading below deck.

“Huh?!” Haman spun about, frowning. “Who is it? The Lounge—?!” His eyes blinked as a slender shadow passed over his obese features. He looked up, his glossy eyes reflecting the dull green hull of the Tarkington.

The vessel briefly blotted out the sun. When the goblins' vision came into focus, they spotted the port side doors of the Tarkington hanging wide open. Basso and Booster Spice were both manually heaving a pair of large shells out of the ship with their bare hooves. Just as quickly as the Tarkington passed over, it cruised off for the far horizon. The pair of explosive shells, however, fell true.

KA-POWWW! The front starboard propellers disintegrated instantly. A veritable layer of metal melted while goblin bodies flew. The rest of the imps rushed towards the far end of the ship, clinging for dear life as the battleship made its deathly plunge for the earth. Haman lost his mechanical footing, and his mech suit rolled wildly across the ash and flames of the top deck like a huge cracked egg.


“Ha ha ha!” Prowse howled as he steered the Tarkington about in a wide arc. “Suckle on the teats of sweat sassy death, ya bloody sods!” He spat. “That's for denting up Aatxe's ship!”

“Mr. Prowse,” Zetta spoke, trying to remain calm as she gripped the ship's mana array. “If you swear by him one more time, you may very well cause the world to implode.”

“So long as them imps fall into the earth's bumhole first!” Prowse smirked over his shoulder. “Way to go, laddies! You're my first choice if ever I reform a caber tossin' team!”

“Yes, well...” Booster Spice dusted his hooves off and smirked out the windy doorframe. “Only if there are less explosives involved. Right, big guy?”

Basso was too busy wincing. “I certainly hope we didn't hurt them too badly.”

Booster grimaced. “Are you for real?” FWOOOSH! “Whoah!”

Booster and Basso winced as a trio of black spheres soared past them, immediately circling the Haman's battleship as it descended.

Zetta gulped. “What do you suppose they want?”

“What else?” Prowse grunted, frowning. “To finish the bloody day.”


Down below, the Gamma ship struck sea level, where it unceremoniously scraped to a smoldering stop deep inside a canyon pass. The starboard side was covered in flames, but for the most part the ship was still mostly intact. Even from a high elevation, imps and soot-stained goblins could be seen hobbling out of the wreckage.

Roarke's cold blue eyes reflected Haman's figure as he struggled to get up on gyrating metal limbs. “Alright...” She took a deep breath, clinging to the front lip of the open sphere along with Jex as the vessel circled and circled over the wreck. “Bring us down, slowly.” She glanced aside at the Lounge leader. “Stay elevated, and prepare to fire at the battleship upon my signal.”

“Right...” The leader nodded, his visor trained on Haman's figure as he sneered into his helmet. “We shall remove this filth once and for all.” He waved a gloved set of claws at his subordinates. “All cannons... aim at the Cartel's leader—”

No.” Roarke glared aside. “Leave the one called Haman be. His fate is mine.”

“Really?” The leader cocked his metal head aside. “Must you truly be the one to kill him?”

“Yes.” Roarke frowned. “I must.” Suddenly, she snaked a hoof around Jex's waist.

The imp gasped as she dove clear off the front of the Lounge ship, carrying the breathless imp with him.


“Rnngh... mrmmffhglllrkkk-kkt—tkkkt!” Haman spat and bled as he struggled to heave his suit upright. One metal claw at a time, he pulled himself off the hull of the burning ship. All around him, imps were scattered, sprawled across the arid stone and wheezing for breath. “Mrmmghht... help me...” He snarled, his suit venting steam in several places. “H-help me, you insufferable runts!”

No goblin made a move towards him. Instead, the crew of the Gamma ship gasped and jolted back upon seeing Roarke land in an agile roll. The metal mare stood up, tall, her forelimbs and flanks armed with a bare assortment of Lounge tech. She set Jex up on his prosthetic leg. Somewhat dizzy, the former Cartel thug teetered while Roarke trotted forward, icily glaring Haman's way.

Several imps instinctively trained their weapons on her.

“Do it and you'll die faster than you can scream,” Roarke hissed, not slowing her marching gait for even a blink. “And my brothers in the sky will see to it that there are no ashes left to bury.”

The goblins still kept their weapons aimed at her, though many of them visibly shivered.

“You've failed in every endeavor... lost on every front... collapsed upon every stride...” Roarke droned as she trotted straight through the nervous gauntlet. “Are there those among you who still think it is our fault?” She finally came to a stop, shaking her head. “No. My business is not with ending the Cartel.” She pointed a hoof. “It's with ending him.”

By this time, Haman had finally stood up. He grimaced at the sound of his name, then swiveled about in his battered, creaking walker to face her.

“Leave us be,” Roarke muttered to the imps on either side of her. Slowly, she trotted up the burning hull of the downed ship. “I am about to give each and every one of you a better future.”

PreviousChapters Next