• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
When the Goblins Go to Market

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

Jex's face was bloodied and bruised. The imp drooled constantly, his head bobbing with each motion of the goblins dragging him by his arms. He tilted his weary head up, squinting down the line of chanting, yelling figures. Goblins of all shapes and ugly complexions were howling at him, spitting at him, pumping their fists into the air and chanting the same word voer and over again.

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

“Runt!”

At last, the goblins carrying Jex brought him to the center of a shantytown of rusted buildings and platforms, erected in the center of a gigantic gravel quarry. Hundreds if not thousands of imps had gathered around the scene, cheering with bloodlust as Jex arrived at his destination.

With angry grunts, the imps manhandling him threw him onto the stone floor.

“Oommf!” He winced, coughing up blood and clutching his shattered ribcage. He tried crawling forward, but an imp or two rushed in, giving him a good savage kick in the sides. Yelping, Jex rolled over, facing the blinding sun. To his meager relief, a crooked metal leg blocked the bright light, followed by another arachnid limb of rusted construction.

“Silennnnce!” shouted the voice of a goblin security guard.

The chanting finally... finally died down, and in its place Jex's twitching ears heard the muffled hum of age-old cylinders and gears clicking against one another. A bulbous shadow loomed above him.

“Who...” A deep voice crackled through a worn set of speakers. “Who is this runt that the Green Bandits have dragged in before me?!

The crowd answered ravenously.

“Jex!”

“Jex!”

“Jex!”

“Jex!”

The battered goblin looked up, ears tearing from the sunlight.

At last, the bulbous shape came into focus; an animated metal spear on six jointed limbs. It teetered above him like a gigantic black widow. With a hiss, the front panel split open. Steam poured out like a suana, and once it dissipated there sat a wrinkly old goblin with multiple grizzled chins and a metal tube connecting from his mouth to the inner workings of the machine. The living torso of fat raised a flabby hand to silence the crowd, then narrowed his mucus-stained eyes on the imp beneath him.

“And Jexxxxx...” Most of his teeth were missing, and more steam poured out from his throat with each wheezing breath. “Would be so kind as to tell the Cartel why you have become a mere runt today?!

Jex winced. His eyes darted around the crowd. All he saw was barred teeth and clawed fists. At last, with a regretful shudder, he said, “I lost the slaves...”

“You mean you lost my slaves!” The seated goblin's eyes flickered like red embers. “Foolish runt!

The crowd around them whooped and hollered. On loud, clanking limbs, the half-imp paced around the bruised figure. Gravel and dirt sprayed in Jex's face with each heavy step taken.

“If this was just one mission, then it would be forgiveable. I, after all, am a goblin of mercy. Life gave me a second chance, so why not give all of my dear brothers the same!”

“Haman, please...” Jex sat up, wincing. “If I-I just had more resources! If I had some of the things you plan on giving the Lounge, I—”

“But don't you get it?!” Haman spun, leering. The heavy weight of his walker hovered threateningly above Jex's trembling figure. “I already GAVE YOU. A SECOND. CHANCE. RUNT!

The crowd's voices lifted again. The bloodthirsty imps banged their wrenches and tools against the floor and walls of the quarry.

“I gave you... more than any Green Bandit has ever been given, and you shat all over it, ya worthless bedstain!” Haman resumed pacing, digging a shallow trench around the imp with his metal legs. “And why? Because of some... meddling 'Noble Jury?'

“Haman, it's a Skystone ship!” Jex whimpered. “It's more advanced than anything the Lounge has got! Or even Val Roa!”

“Do not pretend to know what Val Roa has or doesn't have,” Haman said as he readjusted the tube running into his mouth. Breathing easier, he pivoted to look at Jex head-on. “Their business is my business. It was your job to find slaves so that we could mine faster and supply the Lounge in time for the upcoming exchange. Now. Where. ARE. THEY?!

“Haman... B-Boss...” Jex shivered. “I-I can get the slaves! We just need to eliminate the Jury! They are—”

“Nothing but ponies, from what your lackeys told me!” Haman frown, chins wabbling. “They aren't even all deer! It is inconceivable that they could have overpowered the hundreds of imps I gave you to do your task with, skystone or not.”

“Boss, believe me. They're stronger than you think.”

“They obviously must be. So tell me, runt.” Schiiiing! One arm produced a blade that extended to the nape of Jex's chin. “Should I employ them in your place instead?!

Jex gulped, quivering. Nevertheless, he summoned the strength to speak, his eyes trained on Haman's horrid features. “Boss, even if you wanted to take them down, you're going to need a Bandit who knows them inside and out.” Daringly, he pushed the blade down and leaned forward on his knees. “Send me after them, Boss. I don't even have to lead the team. But if you let me lend my eyes and ears, then I can help more Bandits of the Cartel track them down and kill them, Haman! Then the thorn in our side will be gone and we'll continue with the exchange!”

“Stupid runt. The exchange is going to continue whether or not these pretentious heroes are sent to suck on their dead mothers teats.” Haman reached up and scratched his hairy chins. “However... these 'Jurists' sound stupid enough to challenge us if they catch wind of the Northern Campaign.”

“I won't let that happen, Boss!” Jex said, panting. “Just give me one last chance! I beg you!”

“Hrmmmm.” Haman leaned back in the walker. “Very well... you will continue to be the Cartel's eyes and ears.”

“Ohhhh...” Jex slumped back, exhaling with relief. “Thank you, Boss.”

Whurrrrrr-Cl-Clak! One metal arm latched around his shoulder. “However...” Haman glared. “...you've proven to be useless with your arms and legs.”

“No...” Jex stammered, pupils shrinking. “N-no!” Whurrrrrr! He was hoisted up in the air, then slammed back down. He thrashed and wriggled as two more of the metal legs rushed at him, armed with tasers and buzz saws. “No no no no—Please, God, no—”

His screaming could be just slightly heard over the sound of ripped flesh and crackling bone. Haman squinted through the sprays of hot red blood, unfazed. Twenty seconds later, once the task was done, Haman pivoted in his walker and tossed two limbs into the crowd—a right arm and a left leg. The imps cheered and juggled Jex's dismembered body parts, bouncing them gleefully from one end of the quarry to the next with resounding whoops and whistles.

“There... an fair exchange.” Haman let go of Jex, allowing a pair of guards to drag his writhing, bloodied figure towards a shack across the clearing. “You still have a leg to hop to your commanding imp's comands.” A slobbery smile. “And a hand left to wipe his subordinates' asses.

The crowd hollered and laughed. As the imps gradually broke up, returning to their tasks all across the quarry, Haman lingered in place, rubbing his chins and thinking.

“Hrmmmm...” He turned and whistled towards the nearest guard.

The imp walked up, holding a rifle. “You called, boss?”

“With the slave shortage, just how behind are we in paying those damned lizards?

“We need twenty more tons of ore, boss,” the goblin said. “We could reel most of the Bandits back in to work double-time in the mines, but that will deplete our forces by nearly half.”

“And we need them ready for the Northern Campaign.” Haman inhaled, then breathed out a cloud of steam. He blinked. “How many Bandits do we have enlisted from the Northeast Tribe?

“Easily fifteen hundred strong, boss.”

“Do they have women and children?”

“Oh, absolutely! You know how those Northeasterners love to breed.”

“Hmmmm... indeed.” Haman pivoted about. “I want you to send five companies. Round up all of the families left in their hovels and send them down into the mines.”

“Right now, sir?”

“Don't question me, runt.”

The goblin winced and nodded. “Sure thing, boss.”

“Besides...” Haman shuffled off on rusted limbs. “It's not like their husbands and sons are going to survive the attack anyway. Now go.” He glared, breathing steam. “And send all available forces to track down this 'Jury' and murder them. Meanwhile, I'm going to be talking with our contact. Things are coming down to the wire, and if there's anything I hate it's a last second business deal.”

CLACK! And the plates of his bulbous cockpit slammed shut.

PreviousChapters Next