• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Must Have More Head Than Strong

"And without the Constable or Midnite Bastion?” Jet had said. “Your Jurists are so far away. There really is no hope left.”

Rainbow Dash stood dead still while the information boiled inside her heart and mind. She held a hoof over her pendant, her face awash in silence.

Nilla glanced between the two of them, her mouth agape “I... I just wish I understood. What's going on here?! What are you ponies really here for?”

Rainbow's breaths became firmer and firmer. Her brow furrowed as her nostrils flared.

Jet craned her neck. “Rainbow...?” She lightly trotted over. “Rainbow, what do we do now?”

Rainbow gritted her teeth. With a rush of air, her wings spread.

Jet's pupils shrank. “Oh no.”


A loud clap echoed down into the courtyard of Plaza Topaz, followed by a distressed mare's echoing voice. “Rainbow Dash! Don't!

Several servants peered up, squinting into the glittery haze of night.

Floydien lifted his head, muzzle agape.

A blue streak shot straight north on blazing wings. The elk spotted a brief flicker of ruby light, and then the pegasus disappeared along the city skyline.

Floydien blinked, and his teeth grit. “Awwww spit.”


A cone of air formed around Rainbow Dash's figure. She soared past building faces, rattling windows and tearing flags off their poles. Skimming the rooftops of Val Roa, she made straight for the Royal District, flying faster and faster until the wind heated up with burning friction. Within blocks of the palace, she could already spot wavering rings of emerald light—where thick Soul Sentry battalions continued their desperate search for the two missing monarchs.

“No more hiding,” she sneered, teeth clenched as she stretched both forelimbs forward.

The air around her whistled.

Guards stirred in the streets below, overwhelmed by several successive blasts of thunder.

“You can have the kingdom... the continent... the entire light side for all I care,” Rainbow growled into the mess of turbulence burning all around her. “You cannot have Kera.”

She roared past the final layer of skyscrapers forming the edge of the Sandstone Distict.

Broad courtyards and a thick bronze wall stood between her and her destination. Reindeer marching along the outer edge spotted something incoming and flinched. All of the Soul Sentries instantly turned, their antlers brimming with angry electricity.

Do you hear me?!” Rainbow Dash roared. Her eyes flickered red-on-yellow as her teeth took on a serrated edge. “You cannot have Belle and Pilate's child—”

A winged body flew into her from the side.

“Ooomf!” Rainbow exhaled as her body ragdolled sharply to the left.

A pegasus was shoving her sharply through the air. The two tumbled, flailed, and went sailing straight through the glass window of a two story storage warehouse.


CRASSSSSH!

Rainbow and her assailant went tumbling down an aisle lined with food crates and wine racks stacked high to the ceiling in preparation for the following day's Coronation. As glass and debris crashed around them, Rainbow Dash swiftly kipped up and spun to face her attacker.

A blue pegasus with rainbow-colored hair stood across from her in the foggy starlight.

“No!” the doppelganger shouted, blue face pale and panicked. “Not like this, Rainbow! You have to hold back—”

Fwoooosh! Frowning, Rainbow Dash soared straight past the figure, making for the smashed window. Suddenly, within a blink, Sivrem lurched in front of her, his massive wings blocking her path.

“Kera is safe, Rainbow Dash—”

“Out of my way!” Rainbow Dash brushed past the creature, only to be tugged with four limbs from behind.

“She's s-safe!” Rayvinne sputtered, hissing into the pegasus' ear. “Flying into the palace and attacking Sharp Quill isn't going to solve anything—!”

“Let me... go!” Rainbow frowned over her shoulder. “And tell Chrysalis—I don't care how many drones she's got loyal to her now! Kera's missing, and I'm going to find her even if I have to bust open all the antlers in Val Roa—!” Rainbow sputtered as she found the two of them encased in lavender telekinesis.

“Hrnnngh!” Wingless, Eagle Eye bodyslammed the mare back to the floor with his magic. He stood up and growled. “Dang it, Rainbow, stand down!

“Rrrgh!” Rainbow answered with a savage hoof across his cheek.

The changeling stumbled back, head twisted the other way. Two seconds later, Eagle Eye frowned at her, took five bold steps, and morphed into Big Macintosh. WHUDDD! A cedar-thick fetlock was introduced to Rainbow's skull.

The pegasus spun twice from the impact, teetered into a supply aisle, and collapsed under three crashing crates. As the dust settled, the thoroughly-bruised mare cringed and writhed under the splintery debris. Squinting up at the towering stallion, she murmured, “Who are you...?”

Big Macintosh trotted up, then let loose a heavy sigh. His body shrank while his coat darkened into a rich burgundy hue.

Rainbow's mouth hung open. “... no... no friggin' way...”

“I tapped into the mindspace of the Soul Sentries, Rainbow Dash,” Ebon Mane said. “I almost didn't make it out, but I found what I needed to. The spell on the guards is everything we thought it was: a programmed slice of Mother's hive mind and then some.”

“This is some kind of a trick...” Rainbow shook her head.

“It can't connect with all of her drones on its own, but it can be made to control Val Roans. That's how Chrysalis is commanding the Soul Sentries to do her bidding and turn this kingdom into a prison.”

“You're not Ebon Mane. You can't be.” Rainbow frowned. “If you're really him, then prove it—”

“Dammit, Rainbow Dash!” Ebon snarled with Roarke's face before returning back to a frowning stallion. “No! I will not! We simply have no time! And, to be perfectly honest, you're not in the place to demand it! Now listen and listen tight! I can help you find Kera. I can help you find Eine and everybody! But first thing's first.” He marched over and leered over her, eyes wide. “I know where Mother is. And going to the Palace is not going to get her out of hiding.”

Rainbow Dash gazed at him, eyes blinking. With a shuddering exhale, she squirmed underneath the debris. “Okay, I'm listening...”

“Do you have your sound stone with you?”

“Uh... y-yeah. I think so.”

“Good.” Ebon took a deep breath. “Because we're going to need everypony in on this one.”

“Everypony, as in...?”

His burgundy brow furrowed. “Everypony.

PreviousChapters Next