• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
That Which We Are Here For

“Scrrkkk! Roarke!

Roarke raised the soundstone to her muzzle. “Rainbow.”

Jex squinted in time to see a prismatic figure streaking south over the Val Roan skyline. A ruby pulse of light emanated from beneath the distant pegasus' throat.

“If your scaled buddies are still in the partying mood, there's Haman to deal with in the south.”

“Affirmative.” Roarke glanced aside at the naga leader standing beside her. “By chance, would you approve of helping us dispense with the Cartel?”

“As Quezaat is my witness, nothing would bring us greater glory.” He raised a gloved set of claws and hissed into his helmet. Brothers! Let us purge these skies of filth, once and for all!

The other lizards grunted in one accord as the sphere and several of its sister ships rotated south, glinting in the sunlight.


“Why haven't we uncoupled yet?!” Haman growled as the Gamma ship still lurched in place, locked with the other vessel in midair.

“There's been significant damage to the port side hull, Boss!” an engineer shouted up from the lower decks. “The bulkheads have hooked together! It will take several minutes to dislodge!”

“Sir!” another imp shouted, holding a spyglass in one hand and pointing north with the other. “All Lounge spheres have redirected course!”

“What?!”

“They're headed this way, sir! All of them!”

“All of them?!” Haman's plump face paled.

The Cartel's crew stared north, quivering in fear. A veritable flock of black spheres soared towards that location.

Haman took a deep breath. He glanced at the other ship stuck against theirs, then at the series of port side cannons. Snarling, he pointed with his flesh hand. “Aim the cannons at the other ship's deck and fire!”

“S-sir?”

“If the hull won't get unstuck, then we'll blast them apart. The skystone will take us far away before the Lounge can intercept us.”

“But... but Boss!” One crew member shivered in place. “There are dozens of goblins on board that ship! Our brothers—”

Haman clamped a metal claw around the gasping imp's neck. “Did I or did I not give you a message?!” Hyperventilating, Haman merely flung the goblin behind him and bounded forward. “Damn you cowardly runts! I'll do it myself!” He stood in the middle of the deck and stretched his metal limbs out as far as he could. This way, he was able to commandeer two cannons—both of which he swiveled towards the deck of the adjacent ship. “Prepare to engage the skystone engines on my mark!”

The engineers working to uncouple the vessels from the other ship looked up. They shrieked in horror and scrambled in every direction.

Glaring, Haman triggered the cannons without remorse, rendering both flesh and metal to ribbons.

P-P-POWWW!

The members of the Cartel flinched all across the gamma Ship as the sister vessel imploded from an enormous plume of flame. Then, with a sickening groan of shattered metal, what was left of the blasted battleship peeled off the Gamma ship, its hulking weight drifting towards the Val Roan apartments below.


“Whoahhhh!” Zaid gasped, his blinking eyes reflecting a bright plume of flame. “Hold your sky horses, blood Goddess!”

Belle stuck her head into the Noble Jury's cockpit. “What in Spark's name is going on now?”

“See for yourself!” Zaid pointed out the windshield.

Belle gasped. “Good heavens! Did the goblins do that to their own ship?”

“What is it, Belle?” Pilate asked, leaning towards the cockpit's door frame.

“Beloved, it would appear that the goblins are panicking at the Lounge's approach,” Belle said. “They just shot their own kind out of the sky.”

“Scrkkk! Hey hey, guys guys!” Props' voice crackled over the intercom. “I just detected a huge surge of skystone energy! Did we take down one of the baddy-bads?”

“Not exactly, Blondie!” Zaid said, gazing at the half-ruptured battleship as it plunged towards the city below. “I think this battle just got ten times uglier.”

Belle gasped. “Oh no...”

Pilate's metal brow furrowed beneath his Ocular Array. “Where's the vessel falling?”

“Those apartments,” Belle murmured. “Who knows how many Val Roans could be huddled inside... hundreds... thousands...”

Zaid switched frequencies on the intercom, eyeing the slender bullet-shape of the Tarkington in the distance. “Hey! Uncle to sexy-legs! Do you see what we're seeing?!”

“Scrkkk! Aye. But our steering is off. We can't get our arses over there in time.”

“In time for what?!” Zaid cackled.

“Why, it's our fault we let the battle get this close to the bloody city to begin with! If I had my way, I'd shove that battleship out of the way, by all!

Zaid bit his lip. He turned and looked over his shoulder at Belle.

Belle's muzzle had paled. She stared forward through the cockpit window. At last, she felt a gentle zebra hoof on her shoulder, and she exhaled. With steely eyes, she reached forward and spoke into the intercom. “Props, we're going to need full power to the skystone engine... even if it causes the book to short out.”

“Are we doing what I think we're doing?”

“The Val Roans are not going to taste any death today,” Belle said. “Not if we have anything to do with it.”

“Mr. Zaid,” Pilate said. “You think you can pull this off?”

Zaid was already jerking at the controls, bringing the battered ship around. “I was born to pull this off. Blondie! We're gonna need a steam burst on this too!”

“Okie Dokie Lokie! I'll keep you guys informed about the status of the tome!”

Belle and Pilate braced themselves as the ship dramatically spun around, aiming its bow towards the side of the smoldering, drifting battleship. The target was within a hundred feet of the fragile rooftops below.

“Beloved,” Belle murmured, pausing to gulp. “If this doesn't work—”

“We're the Noble Jury, Belle,” Pilate said. “It's going to work.” He drew in close, nuzzling her. “Why else would we be placed here?”

Belle shuddered. “It's just that... I-I want so badly to see Kera again. Rainbow...”

“Shhh...” He smiled, resting his cheek against hers. “Don't panic.”

She shut her eyes, bracing herself.

The zebra tilted his head towards the pilot's seat. “Mr. Zaid...?”

“Hope you emptied your stripes,” Zaid said, already tightening his muscles as he steered the Noble Jury towards the bow of the collapsing Cartel ship.


FWOOOOSH! Several Val Roans craned their necks to spot the shattered shape of the Noble Jury rocketing towards the falling battleship. Multiple Lounge ships soared in the same direction, but their skystone engines weren't carrying them half as quickly towards the dramatic scene.

Among the crowd, Floydien stepped forward, his red eyes narrowing.

“Nancy...”

PreviousChapters Next