• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,106 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,106

PreviousChapters Next
Let It Go, Let It Go

Under the Lounge sphere's outstretched doors, a canvas tent had been attached. Ebon Mane and Eagle Eye slept, shaded from starlight. Their necks spooned with one another as they slumbered silently, their breaths soft and serene. Surrounding the sphere in the valley northeast of Amulek, dozens of changelings lay in a dense circle, their shells dark and glossy in the moonlight.

Roarke was the only one awake. She reclined against Whizzball, staring out while she kept silent vigil over the cluster of shape-shifters. She took several deep breaths, her nostrils flaring. At last, after much fidgeting, she stood up. On remarkably graceful legs, she shuffled across the field, stepping in between the changelings as she approached one particularly anxious figure on the edge of the group.

A single changeling was shivering, its fangs clattering as it struggled to find slumber. While its brothers and sisters remained still as stone, this one shuddered upon hearing the approach of Roarke's hoofsteps. It looked up, took one glance at the metal mare, and gasped. There was a flicker of an orange coat, and soon it was scooting away.

"Shhhh..." Roarke nevertheless stepped towards it. "Be still. It is okay."

"I'm s-sorry!" the creature whimpered, crawling backwards into a tree. There, it curled, covering its face with webbed forelimbs. "Please! I didn't mean for that t-to happen back at Ether Point! It w-won't happen again!"

"Calm down—"

"I promise!"

Roarke grasped its forelimbs, forcing the creature to look her in the face. Stern, Roarke nevertheless kept her voice low. "I will not hurt you."

The changeling stared at her, panting.

Roarke gulped and said, "It's a promise I made. A promise to the mare that I love."

Slowly, the changeling exhaled. Its eyes flickered green, and its shell was replaced with an orange coat. "Reckon I believe ya, darlin'..."

Roarke's eyes narrowed.

The shape-shifter flinched. "I-I'm mighty sorry..." She clenched her green eyes shut as the orange fuzz began to dissipate. "I'll switch back—"

"No." Roarke shook her head. "Don't. Stay like this."

"But..." The thing winced, looking nervously at the bounty hunter. "Why?"

"Because you obviously need to," Roarke said. "And who am I to stop you?"

After several heavy breaths, the orange mare relaxed. It leaned back against the tree while freckles solidified across its muzzle.

Roarke sat across from her. The two stared at one another in reverent silence. Finally, Roarke leaned forward and spoke, "Who... are you, right now?"

The mare bit her lip. "I... I'm sorry, sugarcube." She sniffled. "I have no unearthly clue..."

Roarke leaned her head to the side. "You first appeared when you hugged me." She blinked. "When you were Rainbow."

"Yes. A thousand pardons. It sure wasn't very neighborly of—"

"I'm not grilling you," Roarke grumbled. "I'm just..." She sighed. "I only wish to understand."

"So do I." The changeling shivered, her blonde bangs flouncing with each shiver. "Everythang's all cloudly like, and whenever I try to think about it... I-I plum wear myself out."

"You've been starving for so long," Roarke said.

The mare's green eyes fell.

After a moment of silence, Roarke said, "I may not have much confidence in the strength and courage of these two stallions who've come here to help you, but they are certainly loyal and dedicated equines. If there's anything I've learned from flying with the likes of them, it's that loyalty is the strongest quality anypony could ever hope to embody. I've no doubt that they will show you the way to a bright and promising future."

"Yeah..." The changeling nodded. "Reckon so..."

"It's alright to be scared," Roarke said. "But don't let yourself be too discouraged. You have a future now, and it's glorious. Trust me." Roarke's lips curved slightly. "I know what it means to believe in no tomorrow. And I also know what it means to have that change overnight. It's frightening, yes, but it's also undescribably liberating."

"I... I guess so..." The mare shivered. "It's just... h-happenin' so much all at once. I... I f-feel like I can't handle it..."

Roarke's eyes fell to the wayside.

The changeling covered her eyes, groaning. "I d-dunno how my brothers and sisters are doin' so m-much better than me. I j-just felt somethin', and it's been tearin' me apart on the inside ever since—"

"Ever since what?" Roarke asked. "Since you hugged me?"

The creature avoided her gaze. "I'm awful sorry! I... I-I just couldn't help myself. I... I..." The changeling suddenly gasped.

Roarke was hugging her. Softly. "Shhhh..." Roarke spoke gently, her voice calm and neutral. "Then stop trying to help it."

The changeling clenched its teeth, shivering.

"Simply relax," Roarke said. "My friends are here to help each and every one of you. So why shouldn't I?"

At last, the changeling caved. It clung to Roarke, burying its freckled face in her shoulder as quiet sobs escaped its lungs. Finally, with a shuddering breath, it murmured, "Thank you, sugarcube. Thank you so m-much..."

Roarke was merely silent, gazing off into the dark treeline as she held the shape-shifter close.

"She lurves you," the creature drawled. "She lurves you so darn m-much..." Sniffles.

At last, Roarke murmured, "You're one of them, aren't you?"

The creature hung in silence.

"You're one of her deceased friends," Roarke said coldly. "The companions that she lost back in Ponyville?"

The changeling exhaled, nuzzling her face into Roarke's shoulder. "Yes," she said. But then, seconds later. "And no."

Roarke blinked at that. She leaned back and stared at the changeling's tear-stained face. "No?"

The shape-shifter took several calm breaths, relaxing in Roarke's embrace. "I... I-I was somethin' different, sugarcube. Somethin' special."

"To Rainbow Dash?"

"I can sense that she'd never say it out loud," the changeling said. "But it was a love so strong that she had to keep it secret. Her loyalty's like a two-edged sword, all strong and steel-like, but it cut both ways, ya reckon? It's enough to tear a pony in two..."

"And a changeling in a million..."

"I wouldn't rightly know." The shape-shifter gulped. "All I can say is that it hurts. It hurts somethin' awful. And I h-haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since—"

"You sensed it in me."

The changeling looked up, lips quivering. "It's in you, darlin'. Rainbow Dash's love." She gulped. "And it's so strong and fillin' and scrumptious. But..." The changeling winced. "It hurts to much at the same time. I... I-I dunno how to handle it! If everypony we ever meet in this world is like this, I-I dunno how we'll ever fly right by Ebon's standards. I—"

"Does Rainbow Dash still love her?" Roarke blurted.

The changeling merely stared at her.

"I..." Roarke winced, but nevertheless spoke, "I need to know... is our—" She gulped. "Is her love really split apart like you say?"

The shapeshifter stared at Roarke. Slowly, its body grew more and more limp. A distant spark illuminated its eyes.

Roarke's voice lifted with a touch of concern. "What—....? Are you—...?"

"Does our l-love ever die, Roarke?" Imre's voice said. The changeling's orange fuzz turned to a pale scarlet. "Do we leave enough to share with others?"

The metal mare sucked her breath in.

The changeling's eyes rolled back. With a tiny whimper, it slumped forward in Roarke's grip, its dark body trailing with green smoke. "Nnnngh... g-guh!" It sputtered. "S-sorry... can't... c-couldn't hold on—"

Roarke clenched her eyes shut. "Then don't try." She seethed. "Let it go."

"I... I-I want to h-help," the changeling sobbed. "You are both so precious. So loving and tender—"

"It's not your love," Roarke hissed. "Feed all you wish, but let go of it. Don't be consumed by what you consume. Your life is your own, do you understand me?" She swallowed hard, carressing the changeling's translucent, gossamer mane. "You deserve to live your own life. So let go."

"But... b-but..."

"I promise you that you'll be safe. Trust me."

The changeling cried quietly. In a flash, its coat turned blue, and Roarke saw that she was caressing a prismatic mane. Within a minute, the coat dissolved back to a black gloss, and the changeling finally stopped shivering. When it spoke next, it was with a sob... a tranquil sob.

"Thank you," the creature mewled. "Thank you s-so much..." It clung to Roarke like a foal, murmuring. "I understand now. I... won't let the feeling consume me."

Roarke stroked the creature's shoulders as she nodded. "That's a very good thing," she said, sighing out her nostrils. "I... I wish we all had your tenacity." And she gazed up into the starlight with a distant expression.

PreviousChapters Next