• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
This Could Not Possibly Go Wrong

Kera sat up in her seat, skirts ruffling. Straining her neck, she finally peered through the window of the rattling coach.

Beyond the antlers of flanking guards, she saw the bronze entrance to the Royal Palace. A pair of golden gates opened, allowing a straight path towards the ivory steps leading towards the first floor of the place.

“Hmmm...” Her ears twitched. “Seems harmless enough.”

“Sit down, Kera,” Ebon muttered. “You'll wrinkle your dress.”

“Hmmmph.” She squatted down in a huff, sticking her tongue out at him across the compartment. “Since when were you the fashion stallion?”

Ebon winced. Maintaining his tattoos, he stared out the window and exhaled slowly.

Kera bit her lip. “Look... I-I'm sorry for giving you a gray carapace or whatnot.” She fiddled with her “dainty” forelimbs. “I imagine this is all pretty sucky for you.”

“I've... been in better places.” He gulped. Then a firm gaze fell on her. “But don't be afraid. I'm here to keep a watchful eye over you.”

Kera stifled a giggle. “Don't you get it already, Ebon? I'm never afraid?”

“I know,” he droned. “That's what scares me.”

“Heeheehee...” She leaned back with a lazy grin. “Don't freak out, buddy-roo. That's for Rainbow Dash and the others to do!”

“I'm still very anxious about what we're doing here...”

“Hey!” Kera shrugged. “We're going to see the Prince! What's the worse he can do? Chop off our heads?”

Ebon winced, grasping his throat. “Must you...?”

“Look, this is practically the safest place we can actually be,” Kera said, gesturing. “And bringing the news to the soon-to-be-King himself? That's like five hundred points right there! Jackpot!”

“I just wonder...” Ebon squinted at her. “What inspired him to invite you to the Palace in the first place?”

“I'unno...” Kera shrugged, stifling a yawn. “If I ran a desert city full of space deer, I'd be bored too.”

“Do you even hear yourself sometimes?”

“Nope!” She smirked as the carriage came to a stop. “Here we go. Be princessy!”

“Er... that's your job.”

“With your coltfriend, you're instantly way better at it than I am.”


“See anything yet?” Jake asked, lips dribbling.

“Just a few more minutes,” Midnite Bastion muttered, squatting behind a cluster of boulders along the southwest edge of the Capital. Down a gravel dirt road meandering south, an iron fence surrounded an enormous compound of steel-reinforced concrete buildings. The mountains that surrounded Val Roa acted as a dull brown backdrop to the remote military installation. From beyond the fence, several armored reindeer could be seen pacing and marching in careful coordination. “Perhaps a half-hour, actually.”

“Why the Hell we waiting that long?!” Jake's hairy brow furrowed. “Pancreas! The Prince will be making a stew out of the Princess and her tattooed bug friend by then!”

Midnite turned and glared at the moose. “...what did Arcanista ever see in you, Constable?”

Jake produced a slobbery smile. “It's my handsome physique.”

Spit,” Floydien grumbled from a few trots away.

Midnite sighed, then continued peering over the cleft of rocks. “I have the duty rotation memorized. In less than half an hour, a new pair of guards will take up their post here. I happen to know both of them, and they know me.”

“Is that supposed to help us?”

“If this plan is to work, yes.” Midnite nodded. “Otherwise, we're liable to be mana-blasted on sight by a bunch of perfect strangers.”

“What if they just don't like you.”

“Believe me.” Midnite smirked. “I've made good friends with the deer and elk under my father's command.”

“So you haven't gone steady with any of them, you mean.”

Midnite's smirk turned into a frown.

“... ... ...Whelp!” Jake cracked the joints in his thick neck and pivoted about. “Think I'll go check to see if the coast is clear... uhhhh... on this side of the rocks.” He stumbled off, laying low so as to avoid line of sight with the guards.

Midnite slowly sighed out her nostrils.

Seconds passed.

Minutes.

She glanced over her shoulder.

Floydien sat a few paces away, antlers on. He fumbled with a large burlap cloak, attempting to fit it over his shoulders.

“Oh, for crying out loud...” Midnite scurried over, keeping low. “Here,” she grumbled, yanking the article out of his cloven hooves. “It's just a robe, not a suit. Seriously, did you lose your hoof-eye coordination along with your speech patterns?”

“Some boomers stand to lose things,” he grumbled. “Others simply float in their own spit.”

Midnite clenched her teeth, seething a bit. “Looks like you haven't forgotten everything...”

“What means the charcoal boomer?”

She glared up at him. “What this charcoal boomer means is that she can tell when her past lover hates her guts.” Her teeth showed. “And she would really wish for him to drop the tortured victim act and just say it out loud! I mean, for God's sake, Floyd, you barely even look at me!”

“Floydien cannot simply shed the wounds of the stabby-stabs,” he muttered. “Maybe Floydien was a non-Floydien boomer in another life, but that was a shimmer and a half ago.”

“So...” Midnite smirked bitterly, wrapping the robe around the large elk's frame. “What you're basically saying is, after all you supposedly went through, after five long years of wandering aimlessly across the earth, sea, and sky, you don't have any connection to Floyd, the Duke of Sehlp?”

“Yes yes yessss.”

“What a charmingly easy tragedy to endure.” She glanced up. “Tell me. How's Simon?

Floydien's face instantly paled. His ears drooped as his red eyes darted towards the distant mountains.

Midnite stared up at him. She blinked several times, then hung her head. “Look, Floydien. I'm s-sorry... that was really pushing it. I can tell.”

Floydien exhaled heavily. “The shimmer glimmer never stops hungering.” He gulped. “Floydien has a duty to his friends... his Nancy Jane—”

“Nancy Jane?!” Midnite clenched her teeth, looking up once more. “That didn't exclusively belong to iron and skystone, y'know!” She leaned forward. “Rainbow's told me a lot in the last twenty-four hours. It's almost impossible to believe. All this time, you've been zooming around in a skyship? Battling... flying managliders and making friends with winged ponies?! Arcanista goes on and on about how much you've been tortured, but that sounds like an incredible afterlife to me.”

“Floydien is more alive than dead. Charcoal boomer need not concern herself—”

“Yeah, cuz I ran out of that years ago!” She shuddered, eyes glossy. “Y'know, in a lot of ways, I thought it was just karma. I mean... I always knew my father would do something melodramatic when he finally caught up to... well... us.” She gulped. “But I never thought... th-that is I never meant...” Her words trailed off.

Floydien simply stared at her.

Her voice shook. “You really... truly don't remember? Do you?”

Floydien slowly shook his head. “Duchess boomer has tried. Color Wheel and her friends have tried. Floydien only has one Nancy Jane and that Nancy Jane has only one Floydien.”

“Yeah. So I've gathered.” Midnite chuckled bitterly, then hung her head. “I think, in a lot of ways, it would be easier... y'know?”

“What would be, she spits?”

She sniffled, shoulders shaking. “If you had just stayed gone...”

Without hesitation, Floydien said, “Duke Boomer is still gone.”

“Yeah, well...” She rubbed her muzzle dry. “That doesn't make anything friggin' easier.”

“Perhaps if charcoal boomer concentrated only on the reindeer stabs up ahead—”

“Just answer me one damn thing.” She looked up, frowning. “If the Floyd I knew is gone... like... truly gone...” She shivered. “If something super-evil and cruel way out west ripped his soul completely out of the husk of the elk I once loved, then why—why in God's name are you back?!

He stared down at her calmly. At last, he said, “Because Floydien wants to know who the Duke boomer was as much as charcoal...”

Midnite stared at him. Several seconds in, she cackled, her face breaking into a painful grin. She glanced off as a tear or two ran down her muzzle. “Who was he...?” She wiped her face again, sighing. “He was... eccentric. Optimistic. Passionate.” She gulped. “He was also a friggin' idiot, sticking his big goofy nose in places where it didn't belong... like the faces of angry High Council Members... or... or the summer home of the Val Roan General's daughter.”

Floydien slowly tilted his head to the side.

She shuffled a bit closer, gazing up at his neutral expression. “He was supposed to be a super smart, responsible Duke. To me, he was like a completely klutzy kid. A trouble-maker. Every hour we spent together, I was trying my damnedest to keep him in line, to remind him just how serious everything was. Little did I know that he was slowly... breaking me... freeing me...” Her lips trembled as she reached a daring hoof towards his robed chest. “Because of him, I learned to live a little more each day, and what I wouldn't give—even in spite of all the crap that went down—for just one chance to tell him... to show him how much I—”

OKAY!Fwooooosh! Rainbow flew in between them, smirking. “Those guards are finally switching, Midnite!”

In the span of six milliseconds, Midnite had leapt three meters from Floydien staring in the opposite direction. “Ahem...” She straightened her dark mane. “Erm... great. Stupendous. Let's get this show on the road.”

“Uh uh. Best that we wait a teensy bit longer,” Rainbow said. She pivoted about, smirking at the elk. “Or else they might think we showed up when the shifts rotated on purpose.”

Floydien slowly nodded. “That makes sense to Floydien.”

“Uh. Yeah. Same here,” Midnite muttered.

“You sure they'll let us in?” Rainbow asked. “I mean, we're taking a pretty big risk here.”

“I... uh... I don't think so,” Midnite said, fidgeting where she stood. “If anything, it'll confuse them. The real trouble will come when or if information of our presence reaches our father.”

“Saikano?”

“What am I, suddenly? The daughter of the Lounge?”

“Right... right...” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “So, long story short, we'll have to look in on the whole Soul Sentry program as soon as we get inside...”

“Best not to waste any time,” Midnite said. “The Duchess' Constable is a renown hero around these parts. I'm sure he'll win the trust of most guards within the facility.”

“You mean he'll distract him with his mooseness.”

“Precisely.”

“Good. Whelp, since we're settled here...” Rainbow Dash whipped out her sound stone, gave it a good rub, and spoke into its glowing surface. “Might as well give the Jury the yellow light.”

Floydien frowned. “And find out who's piloting Floydien's Nancy.”

“I'm pretty sure it's still as much Zaid as it was Zaid before, Floydien.”

“Rnnnnghhhh...”

The sound stone flickered and crackled. “Scrkkkkt! Hello?

Rainbow grinned. “Ding Dong? Heyyyyy! It's the Rainbow Dash show! Starring Rainbow Dash!”

“Rainbow! Hello!” A beat. “By the Spark, you sound chipper.”

“I'll say. Looks like we're about to make some headway.”

“Do tell. We're all ears over here.”

“Very well. Floydien, Jake, and I met—”


“—up with Midnite Bastion!

Pilate, Bellesmith, Props, and Zaid crowded around on the open hangar of the airship just outside of Bountiful.

Zaid blinked. “...who?!”

“Scrkkk! General Saikano's daughter! Y'know... uhhh... Floydien's significant other from... er... pre-Floydien.”

“Ohhhhhhhhh...” Zaid nodded.

“Is she handsome too?” Props asked.

The others glared her into silence while Rainbow's voice continued:

“Anyways, Midnite knows something's funky about Saikano, as well as Fishberry and Sharp Quill. She's gonna help us sneak into a military compound here in southwest Val Roa where many of the Soul Sentries are being... uh... 'recruited.'”

“Yikey's and a half!” Props exclaimed.

“Sneaking into Saikano's compound?!” Bellesmith wheezed. “Great Spark, Rainbow Dash! That sounds really dangerous!”

“What the devil are you doing that for?” Pilate chimed in.

“Guys! Relax! According to Midnite, Saikano has a big hoof in the mind-zapping process of these guys! You wanna bet that's a big chunk of Chrysalis at work? You all know how she got into the heads of the ponies her brood replaced!”

“Yes, but even still...” Pilate gazed worriedly into nothingness. “If you already know that, then what is the purpose of sneaking into such a shady installation?”

“Think about it, Stripesy. If this is the place where Chrysalis channels her inner fart gas into these creeps, then maybe there's a way to disrupt the manaflow!”

“In other words,” Belle thought aloud, “A chink in the armor.”

Props grinned. “Do I smell a bubble bursting?”

“Guys, this may be our big opportunity. What say you head east towards the perimeter surrounding Val Roa's West Gate—”

“And look for a break in the green fart shield?!” Zaid grinned. “Can do, Rainbow! I already like where this is going!”

“It all depends on what we're able to do in here! So don't count your parasprites before they've barfed! Keep a safe distance from the perimeter... a safe distance. I don't want anypony crashing on account of me failing to deliver!”

“Wait wait wait!” Props blinked. “What about Team Whizzball?!”

“When was the last you heard from them?

“About an hour ago,” Belle said. “They've made visual contact with the skystone fields. It'll take them three times as long to land as it did to find the place, I'm sure.”

“Try to contact them again. Tell them about the change in plans. If things fall through, I'm guessing there'll be only a tiny window of opportunity for the Noble Jury to pass through the perimeter. They may not be able to join us for the big shindig.”

“Awwwwww...” Props slumped, pouting. “Poopikins.”

“I'm sure Mr. Josho will be let down,” Pilate said with a smirk. “Eagle Eye, on the other hoof, will be properly relieved.”

“Then I guess we'll have done some good for the world.

“Uhm... Rainbow?” Belle spoke up. “At the risk of sounding like a mother hen—”

“Which you are.” Rainbow's voice crackled as she cleared her throat over the leylines. “Right now, Kera and Ebon are in the safest place they could possibly be.”

“Well, she's not in my arms, so you've lost me, Rainbow...”

“The Palace, ya Ding-Dong! Kera and Ebon got invited to the Palace!”

Zaid whistled. “Snazzy Wazzy! Might we ask what in the Hell for?”

“Prince Eine of the House of Evo wanted to meet with her in person. Seems like Kera's speech shook up the High Council pretty good. Now the most important deer in all of Val Roa wants a word with her. Can you believe that luck?”

“It is most certainly... fortuitous,” Pilate muttered. “And the Duchess?”

“She's off to have a conversation with Fishberry.”

“What for?”

“Just 'cuz. Best to keep our targets on their tippy-hooves as we root out this whole conspiracy from the ground up.”

“Okay, Rainbow, say we do pass through the perimeter!” Zaid exclaimed, his voice echoing off the metal bulkheads of the Jury's hangar compartment. “What then?”

“Head towards the southern mountains! That area is pretty desolate and abandoned. Hundreds of square miles where nopony and nodeer will be bothered to find you. So long as you don't head so far south that you run into the Soul Sentry perimeter again, you should be safe to wait out.”

“Wait out for what? I mean... are there any other nasty-wasties we should be on the look out for?”

“Well...

“Rainbow, if you know something potentially jaw-dropping, now would be a good time to inform us,” Pilate said.

“If all goes well, and we expose Chrysalis' lackeys for the traitors they are, then we'll have this whole mess wrapped up by sundown. But if it goes into the Coronation tomorrow, then we have a situation on our hooves.”

“What kind of a situation?” Props asked.

“Huge freakin' floating metal situations armed to the teeth with cannons a'plenty.”

“Do you mean...?”

“Goblins, Props. Looks like Saikano's been helping the Green Bandits of the Southern Cartel pay off the Lounge for some skystone. Let's just say, if worse comes to worst, we're gonna need some air superiority within the Val Roan Capital.”

Belle took a deep breath. “Well, that's exactly reassuring, Rainbow Dash...”

“It wasn't exactly my plan to make things down to the wire, Belle, but that's the hoof we've been dealt. We've worked well under even worse pressure before.”

“Rainbow Dash, about the goblins and their... erm... skystone edge.” Pilate cleared his throat. “We're not entirely in the dark.”

“Heh. I guess word travels fast. Whoops! Jake's back. He's giving me the signal. I think it's our time to make our move.”

Belle nudged Pilate. “Erm... Rainbow Dash!” the zebra sputtered. “Hear me out! “

“Sorry, Stripesy! A patrol is headed this way! We gotta move!”

“It's about Roarke! She's—”

“Head for the perimeter! Look for the green mana to fade! I'll contact you soon as I can!” And the signal crackled into obscurity.

Pilate gnashed his teeth. He tilted his head towards the other jurists.

Belle sighed. “Well, she's certainly adorably stupid when she's in superheroine mode.”

“Wouldn't have it any other way,” Pilate sighed. “It doesn't seem fair to Roarke at this rate.”

“You think that's gonna stop the metal mare any?” Zaid remarked.

“I... suppose not...”

Zaid smirked. “Then let's only worry about the ponies who deserve it. Like us!” He stood up, cracking his joints. “Come on, ya melon fudges! We've got a date with disaster!”

“Woohoo!” Props bounced her way towards the engine room. “Team Anxiety, for the win!”

Belle helped Pilate onto his hooves as the couple stood on the end of the hangar door. “Just to think...” Belle murmured aloud. “Our little Kera... the guest of a Prince.”

“You say that as if it's a bad thing.” Pilate smiled. “If you ask me, it sounds like the best progress this mission has had yet.”

“I suppose... still...” She chewed on her lip and glanced awkwardly at him. “You think we should be worried?”

“Only if this Eine possesses a swimming pool full of grasshoppers.”

“True. Very true.” Belle turned and trotted towards the stairwell. “Still, it's a shame to leave a place as peaceful as Bountiful behind.”

“You're telling me you don't miss living upon the precipice of constant death and danger?”

“Yes, but it's so much more fragrant here.”

“Forget about it, Bellesmith.” Pilate felt around, grabbed a lever, and yanked it. “It's zebra town.”

And the hangar doors whirrrrrred shut behind them.


“Guys!” Midnite Bastion trotted up to the huddled group, wincing. “We really gotta make our move now,” she hissed. “The patrol will be on our asses any minute!”

“It's okay.” Rainbow nodded, pocketing the sound stone inside her saddlebag. “I got the briefing over with.”

Floydien squinted. “Floydien thought he heard some remarkable spit right at the end.”

“Huh?”

With a sigh, Floydien stared off into the distance. “Forget it. Let us shuffle shuffle already.”

“Right...” She glanced around. “Does everypony know their places?”

“I can fit all four of them with just my butt!” Jake said with a grin.

Rainbow glared. “I mean do you know your roles.”

“Pffft... how hard can it be?” The moose winked, then shoved Rainbow towards Floydien. “Now get into friggin' 'camouflage.'”

Rainbow Dash took a deep... deep... deeeeep breath. “Duaaaaaaah...” She swiftly ducked under the folds of Floydien's thick burlap robe. “Celestia this is gonna smell.”

"You'd better believe it," Jake burped.


Minutes later, three sets of trotting hoofsteps strolled up to the outer gate of the military compound, accompanied by the rattling of chains.

The two reindeer guards craned their necks to see from their posts. At first, they saw an enormous set of moose antlers. Then, they saw a petite pony-shaped shadow. At last, a slumped figure shuffled between the first two, limping on manacled hooves.

“Halt!” One guard trotted forward, glaring. “Not another step!” Once he came close enough to discern the figures' faces, he scuffled to a stop. His eyes squinted. “Commander? Commander Bastion?”

“Sergeant... so glad to see you.” Midnite Bastion trotted up, noticeably breathless. She saluted as the guard did. “I spent the last thirty-six hours chasing down a suspect who attempted a raid on the Bronze Armory to the southeast. That's when I ran into Constable Jake.”

The two guards exchanged glances, then looked at Midnite, dumbfounded. “The Constable Jake? Goblin-slayer?”

“The one and only!” He gave Floydien's robed flank a heavy kick. “Found this joker trying to make off with a bunch of Grade-A Explosives! Probably wanted to make a big splash on the Coronation! Does he look familiar to you?”

“Uhhhh...” The guard at the gate scratched his muzzle. “Should he?”

“Don't you know?!” Midnite Bastion gawked. “This is none other than the long lost Duke Floyd of the House of Sehlp! Presumed dead for over five years!” She turned back and glared at the elk. “Guess we now know what he was really up to all those seasons that he was presumed dead. Hrmmph... would-be terrorist. How despicable.”

Floydien glared back. “All stabby stabs must die in a thousand fires of death death.”

“You see?” Midnite turned back, sighing. “Raving mad. Such a shame. His sister, the Duchess of Bountiful, would be devastated.”

“This... this is beyond us, Commander,” the guard said. “If this is really who you say he is, the High Council will want to know right away.”

“No.” Midnite Bastion shook her head. “With the Coronation happening tomorrow, it'll take too long for the Council to deal with his most recent treachery.” She smirked. “I intend to take him straight to my father's barracks. Tell me, is the General in?”

“Saikano? Absolutely, Commander.”

“But... uhm... he is rather busy at the moment—”

“Too busy to review a report from his own daughter?” Midnite glared. “It's my job as an agent of Val Roan Internal Security to make sure the news of this suspect's capture is presented to the General right away! This goes above and beyond my reputation as a soldier. Too much delay, and the very security of Val Roa may be at stake!”

“Yes, Commander. We understand, Commander.”

The other guard began opening the gate. “We will escort you there.”

“There is no need.” Midnite glanced back, smirking. “Constable Jake of the Southern Provinces has the suspect under control. Isn't that right, Jake?”

“Mmmhmmm!” Jake gave Floydien's flank another kick. “Shackled like a polar bear in a beef warehouse!”

Floydien shuddered. “Kill... all... stabby stabs...”

“Uhhh...” One guard gulped as they slowly trotted through, escorting the thickly-robed elk. “What about those things?” He pointed at Floydien's antlers. “Are they sufficiently mana-suppressed?”

“Don't worry!” Jake drooled and yanked the antlers off. POP! “There! That'll do the trick!”

“Unnnnngh...” Thud! One guard fainted.

“Sergeant!”

“Hrmmmff...” Midnite rolled her eyes as she passed on through. “Wuss.”

PreviousChapters Next