• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Persist, With Or Without the Wind

It was midday.

The sun was high, hot, and baking.

Mountains loomed against the Grand Choke's horizon, thick, dark, and oppressive.

Rainbow Dash was gliding eastward, thoughtless and soundless.

She breathed in and out, navigating the arid landscape with ruby eyes and dull blinks. All of the sudden, she dipped. Rainbow Dash winced, squinting curiously. She looked all around, ears perked and twitching. She sensed no shift in the wind, no air distortion responsible for the sudden turbulence. It was almost as if—

Rainbow dipped again, savagely so. She gasped, flapping her wings wildly. They provided no lift, and she plummeted harder.

The mare yelped in surprise. She fell towards a cloud, flailing her limbs towards it. She plunged through the mists like a fuzzy blue anvil.

Her heart beat a million miles per second. Nevertheless, she kept her cool, taking a deep breath as her body twirled about. Her eyes faced the surface of the earth sailing up at her. With expert muscles, she stretched a hoof against the forces of gravity and rubbed her pendant.

A flicker of ruby light emanated from her neck. Suddenly, her wings sliced through the air—but barely. It was just the lift Rainbow needed, and she utilized it.

The wind whistled past her as she flew up, barrel-rolled, then glided swiftly—yet smoothly—towards the desert floor.

She could only wish her landing was just as graceful. Her hooves grazed the dusty ground, but failed to slow her in time. She rolled forward, somersaulted, and tumbled for a full five seconds. At last, her body slid to a stop, forming a dusty trail of dirt and sediment behind her.

The mare coughed and sputtered, wincing painfully. After a full minute, she finally stood up. With a grimacing expression, she shook the dust out of her mane and looked back at her wings.

Rainbow flexed her feathers. She could move them normally. Her muscles weren't stiff that day; she hadn't lost the ability to flap her wings. And yet, try as she try to catch air with the appendages, they consistently failed her.

Her breaths grew frantic. She galloped forward, performed a running start, and jumped high—wings spread. They refused to even glide, and within a second she collapsed again, grunting in pain.

With a shudder, she stood up, gazing thinly at the wasteland all around her. She brought a hoof to her neck and rubbed the pendant. This time, the ruby glow lasted less than five seconds—the shortest she had ever witnessed it. She fought a lump forming in her throat, standing in place as she let the gravity of the situation set in.

Minutes passed... an entire hour... during which Rainbow Dash stood in dumb, silent shock.

Nostrils flaring, she turned and looked west.

A dim horizon of uneven stone stretched behind her.

Her ears folded. The lump in her throat melted away, replaced by a furious frown across her face.

Cracking her joints, Rainbow Dash turned east... and began trotting.

Her lone body formed a blue dot across the desolate brown skin of the Grand Choke. In the distance—forming shadows against the sky—several eastern mountains rose to savage heights.

Rainbow continued trotting.

PreviousChapters Next