• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,092 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,092

PreviousChapters Next
Where You Would Least Expect It

“The manasensors are coming up with identical readings along the mountain ranges due east of here,” Zetta said. She turned and looked over her shoulder. “The energy field is dissipating.”

“Lemme guess.” Prowse hobbled down the length of the Tarkington. “They're retreating east?”

“Affirmative.” Zetta nodded, turning back to her manaconsole and twisting a few dials. She studied the data being relayed to her via blinking diodes. “Looks like the Soul Sentries are being herded inward.”

“Hrmmff...” Seclorum frowned, standing beside Arcshod and the other two Xonans. “Dayum cowards.”

“Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves, General,” Crimson said.

“Former General.”

Crimson smirked slyly, levitating a mug of steaming coffee across the cramped confines. “We're at war with Chrysalis, not the unwitting victims of Val Roa.”

“Easy for you to say!” Seclorum spat. “She's controlling all those glowy-eyed deer, isn't she?”

“That remains to be seen,” Crimson said.

Josho spoke up from where he sat, polishing his shotgun. “And even if they are, I doubt they're doing so willingly.” He glanced up. “Imagine how quickly the kingdom will shape up once it realizes its elite soldiers have been working for a giant bug monarch all this time.”

“I still think it'd be easier to punch and explode through the whole lot of them.” Seclorum squinted at Josho. “You used to think the same thing too. What happened to you?”

“You wanna know what I think?” Phoenix remarked.

“Pffft. No.”

Phoenix smiled and spoke up anyway “I think he's been hanging around the little princess too long.”

“I heard that,” Eagle Eye muttered from where he sat with a blanket around his shivering shoulders.

“That's why I said it!”

Eagle sighed. “Now that I did not miss...”

“Are you certain?” Crimson knelt down before the petite unicorn, hoofing him the mug of coffee. “I can imagine a few Franzington locals who miss saying it.”

Eagle Eye took the mug with a thankful smile. “That's all behind me. Believe it.”

“I'm inclined to,” Crimson said. “According to Mr. Booster Spice, you're quite the one-stallion-army these days.”

“I hold my own these days, Crimson,” Eagle said. “But I'm still a team player.” He adjusted the folds of his blanket, fidgeting. “How... uh...”

“Booster Spice? Recovering nicely,” Crimson said. “Tweak and Lucky Strike's home-grown medicinal recipes can do quite the trick.”

“Well, that's good to know. Considering that they're... uhm...”

Crimson chuckled. “They know how to treat non crystal ponies. Don't worry.” He smirked. “Besides, they've had plenty of practice.”

Eagle leaned forward, blinking. “How is that going by the way?”

“What? Aurum? It's doing wonderfully. Didn't I already convey that?”

“I guess you did. It's just...” Eagle sighed, smiling weakly. “You have no idea how wonderful it is to know that sort of information. I mean, I headed east for a reason. I meant it when I said that I needed to find a home for my own. But...”

“You're a concerned soul, EE. It's quite alright,” Crimson said, finally sitting down across from him as the Tarkington's bulkheads shifted and hummed around them. “My family's as healthy and secure as they've ever been. They're practically siblings and cousins to Tweak's clan, now. Between Franzington's military experience and the crystal ponies' tenacity, we've made a truly safe haven for most ponies and non-equines wanting a safe place to live after the Confederacy's balance of power shifted.”

“Are... are things still harrowing in Led—” Eagle winced. “I mean Luxmare?”

Crimson chuckled lightly. “Things couldn't be better. It's like day and night. There's no Council wanting my and Phoenix's heads. But, more importantly, the Confederacy recognizes both Franzington and Aurum as sovereign nations. The days of aggressive annexation is over.”

“That's just... so hard to believe.”

“It took a while, but the sort of things Rainbow Dash and the Jury did along the Eastern front have had a lasting effect on the entire continent.” Crimson smiled. “Zetta and Basso told me all about it in great detail. Rainbow Dash actually took out a giant chaos dragon! I almost wish I was there to see it myself.”

“Yeah, well...” Eagle Eye shuddered. “Not all things went quite so...” He gulped. “...smoothly.”

“But... uhm...” Crimson leaned forward, eyes narrow. “Are you doing well for yourselves? For the most part, I mean.”

“Aside from being split up in half-a-dozen places on the verge of a Val Roan Apocalypse?”

“Eheh...” Crimson shifted his prosthetic limb. “Right. Aside from that. How have you been doing, EE?”

Eagle Eye nodded, gazing deep into the bulkhead. “I'm in a nice place, Crimson. A wonderful place.” He gulped. “It wasn't always a nice place. It took more than a few rough bumps. But...” He sighed, gazing up with glossy eyes. “I'm in love. Tried and true love. All that needs to happen now is for us to find a place to rest our heads and... start a new life together.”

“It was the cook, was it?”

Eagle Eye did a double-take. “Why... yes. Ebon Mane! How did you know?”

“Call it a hunch,” Crimson said with a slight smirk. “You two seem the right... er... size for each other.”

Eagle giggled. “I always knew you had built-in gaydar.”

Crimson shook his head. “Nah, if that was the case, I'd figure you'd fall for Jasper Clark.”

“Heeheehee.”

Crimson took a deep breath. “That... that large dude, Seclorum's friend.”

“Hmmm?” Eagle blinked. “Oh, you mean Josho?”

Crimson's eyes thinned. “He is... treating you right, I hope?”

“Yes, Crimson. Josho hasn't sat on me and crushed me to a gazillion powdery lavender bits.”

“Buh?”

Eagle suppressed another giggling breath. “When you met him, he was fresh off the deck of Prime Enforcer's Shell's battleship. He's a waaaaaaaaaaay different stallion now,” the young unicorn explained, gazing over Crimson's shoulder. “He's saved every Jurist's life in more ways than we can count. And I bet...” He chewed on his lip. “...I know that I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for him.” He added in a muttering tone. “I wouldn't even want to be alive.”

Crimson nodded. “I guess I should know better than to assume otherwise by now.”

“It's okay.” Eagle smiled. “You're just concerned for me. I find that touching.”

“You've grown in so many ways, EE. Far be it from me to think that you were the same unicorn I parted ways with months and months ago...” His words trailed off, and he gazed down the length of the Tarkington.

Eagle Eye cocked his head to the side. “What?”

“I... I was tasked with delivering a message. But, seeing how you're doing and where you are in life, I... I'm not sure if I really should.”

“Crimson, so much could change at any moment.” Eagle grimaced briefly. “I... I-I don't even know if fate will let me see Ebon again anytime soon. I... I-I could definitely use whatever good news I can get.” He blinked. “It... is a good message, is it not?”

“Well, I suppose you could say that.”

Eagle Eye stared.

Crimson cleared his throat. He shuffled closer, speaking so that only the two of them could hear. “It wasn't just my family and Phoenix's that moved to Aurum, EE. So many other members of the Franzington Clan made the trip across Foxtaur and the Ravine to dwell in this new promised land. Many of them made the choice after much thought and deliberation. Others... did so with only a little bit of convincing on my part, especially after I... told them how brave a member of their own had been in... in...”

“Crimson,” Eagle Eye whispered. “Is... is my family in Aurum?”

Crimson simply stared at him.

“Are they okay? I mean...” Eagle gazed aside, blinking. His eyes darted back to Crimson. “This message. It's from them, isn't it?”

“It's from your father, EE.”

The unicorn bit his lip, his eyes hardening.

“He... he says that he's sorry,” Crimson remarked. “For... for everything. He... uh...” The stallion brushed his mane back and sighed. “...he extends his hoof... in both respect and reconciliation... if... if you would so choose to take it.”

Eagle's gaze fell to the floor.

Crimson cleared his throat. “I told him not to put his hopes up.”

“And he shouldn't,” Eagle muttered, jaw clenched. “After all he's done to me... after practically disowning me...” He gazed up, eyes thin. “Now he wants different? As if things can just change like that?

“A lot can change in a short time, EE,” Crimson said. “Be it due to war or to peace. I think the latter has surprised him... shaken him up. He's a changed stallion. I can see it in his eyes. He's unsure of the future... frightened of a world with so much tranquility. I... I believe he's found time to reconsider his attitude about the only son who was willing to stand up to him.”

“... … ...” Eagle shuddered from where he sat.

“It could be a new home, EE,” Crimson said. “But, I can only imagine it'd be a prison all the same, if your heart wasn't in it.”

“My heart belongs to one soul,” Eagle Eye said. “But... I can't imagine... that is... I couldn't think of him.. of us...” He grimaced. “This is just so unexpected. I—”

“A signal!” Zetta suddenly gasped. “We're getting a signal!” She spun. “It's Rainbow Dash's sound stone!”

“Hot damn!” Josho stood up, holstering his weapon. “Now we're getting someplace!”

“She needs everyone around to listen!” Zetta said. “Sounds like we have a new game plan!”

“Better fetch the King and Queen for this,” Seclorum said, trotting across the Tarkington.

Crimson glanced behind his shoulder, then at Eagle Eye. “Uh... EE...?”

“Yeah, I get it.” The unicorn sighed, shrugging off the blanket as he took one sip of the coffee and stood up tall. “Soldier on. I'll deal with all that later...”

PreviousChapters Next