• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,093 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,093

PreviousChapters Next
Treachery, Faith, and the Great Reindeer

General Saikano reached the east wing of the installation in time to spot Chancellor Fishberry's arrival. A thick line of Soul Sentries divided the two figures. Fishberry could be seen gesturing and muttering to the reindeer guards. With a gesture of her hoof, a group of soldiers trotted up and gathered a dormant figure in her midst. Saikano watched as two bound figures—Duchess Arcanista and a pony servant—were placed, shackles and all, on a wheeled slab of metal. With punctuating squeaks, the gurney was rolled west into the heart of the facility, straight past Saikano.

The General studied them emotionlessly, then continued his forward trot. “I trust that you did not harm them?”

“That as far as you go,” was Fishberry's response.

“If you brought them pain, it will make it all the harder for me to interrogate them—”

“I said move no further!” Fishberry snarled from afar, this time raising a hoof. “Cease where you be!”

Saikano scuffled to a stop. His eyes narrowed.

Fishberry frowned. “Yes. Interrogate them. That is what you are good at, is it not?”

“I was not aware that you would be bringing them here.”

“You should be paying attention more,” Fishberry said. “I fear there has been a breach in the Soul Sentry perimeter.”

“I am... nnngh... aware of that.” Saikano rubbed his scalp, wincing. “I've ordered them inward to cover the norther capital. Two of the beacons have been damaged. It has... been a challenge.”

“It matters little. Keep your head in the game,” Fishberry said icily. “We've suffered too many setbacks to fall apart now.”

“Who's falling apart? I'm doing my best down here and...” Saikano nevertheless grimaced. He blinked, and in that blink he saw a charcoal-black coat bleeding in multiple places. “...just what has the Duchess done?”

“Hmmm?”

“Arcanista,” Saikano said. “Of the Province Bountiful. I presume that's who it was.”

Fishberry frowned across the distance between them. “Wasn't it her Constable who attacked this facility? Did you or did you not report that?”

“I'm certain that I did.”

“They are obviously working together. It was an attack on our operation from two fronts. Make that three.” Fishberry's eyes narrowed. “Sharp Quill has lost track of the Prince. Now... everything is in jeopardy. We cannot afford frailty now.”

“No, I suppose not...”

“Have you heard from the allies to the south?”

Saikano glanced behind him. Making sure the coast was clear, he turned back and shook his head at her. “They should be en route. I've instructed the Cartel's forces not to make their strike until two hours after the sunrise.”

“Then there may still be time to salvage this,” Fishberry said. “With the prince missing, we'll have to fall back on our secondary plan.” She frowned into the metal walls of the place. “If we can't appeal to the hearts of this kingdom's populous, then we can make sure to exploit its fear. We can still manifest her will.” She looked up, eyes narrowing. “Nevertheless, I need you to interrogate the Duchess along with your other prisoners. If they have an idea... any idea where the Prince may be located, then that could make a sizable difference here. Proceed with all the skills at your disposal.”

“Interrogate the Duchess...”

“Affirmative.”

Saikano's ears twitched. He heard himself muttering, “Why... must we do that?”

Fishberry's pupils shrank. “Excuse me?”

“Her will...” Saikano's head teetered slightly as he lisped, “Why is it so important...?”

Fishberry's jaw hung open. “I do not believe I am hearing this. Do you even hear yourself?!

“I... I...”

“Her will is everything!” Fishberry snarled, her whispering voice echoing across the bulkheads. “She is the key to this country's eternal glory!”

“I... I know that, b-but—”

Do you?!” Fishberry gritted her teeth. “Because, from where I'm looking, you're practically falling apart! This most recent attack has done something to you, Saikano! And I don't like it one bit!”

Saikano winced, teeth showing. “The Soul Sentries...” He shuddered. “I have them in my control. Just... so many...”

“They must be maintained at all costs!” Fishberry frowned. “If you can't interrogate the suspects, have somedeer assigned to the task who can. I can't do it for you! And neither can Sharp Quill!” She huffed, face red. “The Secretary let his guard down, and now the Prince is missing thanks to his ineptitude. I can't have you be failing too!”

“I... w-will not fail...”

“See that you don't! I'm having to summon an emergency meeting of the High Council tomorrow,” the Chancellor said. “It is my hope to have all representatives and dignitaries located within the High Council building precisely when the Cartel arrives. That should maximize the enforcement of her will. And her will is important. You know this.”

Saikano nodded, shuddering. “Right. But of course...”

“When all of this is done, we will be free. We will be liberated,” Fishberry said. “That's what she's promised us! So... hold on just a little bit more. Have faith.”

Saikano hung his head in silence.

Fishberry sighed. “If you have any trouble, just remember, you can contact me at any time. The Secretary as well. So long as we work together, we will not fail. We have too much on our side to collapse at this point.” She pointed before trotting off. “Interrogate the prisoners. Learn what you can. Add that to the collective memory of the Soul Sentries, and we might recover the Prince yet.”

“Chancellor, do you have children?”

Fishberry scuffled to a stop. She glared over her shoulder. “What does that have to do with anything?”

Saikano opened his mouth, hesitated, then ultimately said. “You... you are right.” He gulped. “I must have faith in her. She will liberate us all.”

Fishberry slowly, slowly nodded. She squinted at him, shrugged it off, and trotted for the distant exit.

Saikano stood on his own, a limp expression hanging off his weary muzzle.

PreviousChapters Next