• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,092 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,092

PreviousChapters Next
Why It'd Have to Be Eels?

Another shriek reverberated through the cave, followed by the unmistakable scraping of rock. Josho hurried along, training his horn in one direction and the shotgun in another. Squinting, he studied every corner and crevice that his conjured light touched. Once satisfied that the coast was clear, he motioned with a hoof.

“Okay! Move on down! It's a bit of a descent here, so be careful!”

“Don't move so fast, old stallion!” Eagle Eye called ahead, galloping swiftly to make up the distance. “We've got some precious cargo back there!”

“Right! So look after them like all of your accessories, princess!” Josho barked back at him. “Something's awoken, and I'm willing to put my money on the chance that it's faster than us!” He hopped down several rocky platforms. “I've gotta scout ahead! So move it!”

Eagle seethed, fidgeting in place. “Can never have a merry vacation in Fluffland, I swear to the Spark.” He turned and gestured towards the two deer following. “Watch your step, Your Majesties! We're descending into a lower level! The platforms are small and slippery!”

“That's it, my love,” Lunarius said, helping the regal doe down, holding her hoof in his. “Easy... easy.” Pulses of electricity flickered far behind them, issuing out of the chamber from which they came. “You're doing well.”

“I was in that prison for so long,” Azira said, wincing. “It's... h-hard to move.”

“We can make it out, Azira.” Lunarius gazed deeply in her eyes. “Think of our son, love. Think of Eine. He needs us. All of Val Roa needs us.”

Another roar rolled through the chamber. Eagle Eye gasped. From down below, Josho shouted. “Move our asses!

“Uhm... King Lunarius, sir.” Eagle Eye smiled nervously. “I mean no insult to your grace and poise, but it would be most beneficial if we sped this escape.”

“We must allow my wife to take her time!” Lunarius said with a frown. “There is no sense in escaping if we cannot do so in one piece! So you'll have to be patient!”

Within a second of him saying that, the brightest pulse of energy yet rippled from the chamber above. The red and yellow light of skystone nodes bled down the corridor, illuminating every crevice. Suddenly, the roars grew in volume, coming from various unseen sources beyond the distorted light.

Wincing, Lunarius heaved his wife over his shoulder. “I'm sorry, Azira! But we have to haul tail!”

“Waaaaie!” she yelped, draped over his backside.

“Hnnntt!” Lunarius bounced, hopping down each descending platform like a frenzied mountain goat.

Josho's hollering voice could be heard: “Get a move on!

“We are! Trust me!” Eagle Eye struggled to keep up with the King. “We are and a half!”

Meanwhile, the cave behind them exploded with electrical energy. Several writhing forms came sliding down, gliding through the air like leathery confetti tape.


Outside, hovering above the skystone fields, Booster Spice felt an intense jolt to the Lounge Sphere. Adjusting his goggles, he leaned forward in the cockpit and stared down through the windshield.

Countless bolts of electricity danced between the jagged crystalline structures. The sudden energy disruption increased exponentially.

“What in God's name are they even doing down there?!” Booster stammered.

Soon enough, the electrical discharge was flying straight up.

“Hoboy—” Booster jerked at the controls, lifting Whizzball up.

It was too late. The bands of energy rippled across the ship, sending it into a crazed spin.

“Gaaaaugh!” He seethed, struggling to keep his grip of the steering mechanism. His body rocked between the adjacent seats and the instrument panels hanging above. Through the corner of his goggled vision, he saw the world spinning, and it was getting harder and harder to tell the chaotic sky from the chaotic surface. “Mmmmff... c-come on...”

He tried uprighting the craft, but just as he got level, he witnessed a layer of energy rising up, encompassing the ship. The console lights flickered, and he heard the skystone engine inside Whizzball stutter and stall.

“Oh no. No no no no...”

Soon enough, everything directly outside his window was ablaze with energy distortion.

“Darn it! Keep 'er together!” He pulled back hard, attempting to ascend. Instead, Whizzball did the opposite, plummeting swifter and swifter towards the jagged landscape below. “Awwwwwww sushi.”


By now, the bedlam inside the caves was deafening. Josho and Eagle Eye no longer needed their horns to light their paths; it was so bright that they could see the tunnel ahead of them as they evened out on a solid floor. With each passing second, the glowing lights behind them intensified.

“They can't be far behind us,” Lunarius said, galloping with Azira on his back. “All of them are alerted!”

“Then you'd best take point!” Josho stepped aside. He looked at Eagle Eye as he backtrotted. “We gotta get the head hauncho of Val Roa out of here!”

Eagle gulped and nodded. “I know.”

“So whatever ugly motha is chasing us, we'd better slow 'em down!”

Schiiing! Eagle Eye unsheathed his sword and shield. “I know.”

Josho stood flank-to-flank with Eagle Eye, squinting into the brightening energy field. “Here they come. Someone or something really wants a manabullet sandwich...” His voice trailed off and his mouth hung open.

Eagle's eyes twitched.

Out from the anomaly, several serpentine bodies emerged, only they weren't slithering on the ground. They swam through the air in rippling motions, their tails thrashing wildly behind them. As they came closer, the two unicorns could see their mouths brimming with fangs. They resembled oceanic eels, only they had sharp needle-like spines sticking out of their backs and bellies at regular intervals. These slender “poles” sparkled with electrical blue bands that jumped from one spoke to another—ultimately ending in the cranium and electrifying the beasts' jagged teeth till they glowed.

Josho exhaled, his lips limp. “Wasn't expectly crap like that.”

Eagle whimpered. “I know.”

All at once, the eels shrieked. Neck crests flared with reptilian scales. Finally, with bolts of skystone energy jumping from their spines to the surface of the cave walls, they accelerated, swarming towards the two unicorns.

Eagle held his shield up while Josho aimed over it. With two successive blasts, he sent one eel reeling. Two more “swam” past its writhing body, viciously propelling themselves at the stallions. Josho stepped back while Eagle lowered his shield and telekinetically swung his sword in a high arc. He lopped off the head of one beast—which caused it to exploded with skystone energy.

“Ooof!” Josho and Eagle Eye were knocked back several feet. By the time they got up, three more eels were diving towards them. Josho got off a good shot, but when the blast punched a hole in the unlucky serpent's hide, that creature also exploded, sending a violent tremor through the cave that caused the stalactites overhead to fall all around the stallions. The two of them had to duck low to avoid the random forks of ensuing electrical discharge.

“Old stallion, I think—”

“Yeah! I get it!” Josho winced, already pulling back. “The less we kill these bastards, the better!”

“Join the King!” Eagle hollered, holding his shield up as he trotted backwards. “Best that I beat these back!”

“Are ya kidding?” With a slight grin, Josho twirled his gun around, reached in, and started swinging it magically so that the butt of the rifle smacked several creatures across their jaws, holding them back. “That's as far as you go, ya ass-munching light-bulb huffers!”

“Don't... m-make them... more mad!” Eagle gnashed his teeth as sparks of energy spat out from all sides of his shield.

“How the Hell did Chrysalis even put these creeps here?!”

“You don't suppose they're chaos monsters, do you?!”

“As in there's chaos metal nearby?!”

“Yeah!”

“I doubt it!” Josho said.

“Why's that?”

“Cuz they're all sparkly and bright, not creepy and necrotic!”

“Since when were you the expert on floating death eels?!”

“Since one morning back in Green Slope when I stupidly decided to step out of an outhouse and begin this dumbass dance!” An errant spark struck Josho in the shoulder. “Aaaugh!”

“Careful!” Eagle hollered.

“You tell them that!” Josho nudged the smaller stallion and the two of them backtrotted more swiftly. “Move! Move! Keep the snake party at bay!”

“Dear Spark, what I wouldn't give for a cave full of fluffy kittens one of these days...”

PreviousChapters Next