• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Roarke Said, "Let My Zebras Go!"

Splintery wood crashed against arid soil.

Roarke and Eagle Eye spun around. They stopped in their tracks and ran in the opposite direction of the slowly trudging exodus of zebras. The Noble Jury and Whizzball loomed overhead, slowly gliding westward as an escort to the solid train of exhausted refugees.

A wagon had collapsed, its occupants spilling out and wincing from the impact. Roarke and Eagle Eye rushed over, helping the various zebras up to their hooves.

“Are you alright?” Roarke asked in a neutral tone. “Is anypony hurt?”

A zebra mare winced, patting Roarke's armored shoulder. “You're too kind. We can manage.”

Roarke's blue eyes narrowed. “I find that hard to accept. Your wagon's veritably decimated.”

“Huh?”

Eagle Eye helped two elderly zebras out of the rear of the craft. “It's smashed to ribbons, girl!” He pulled several planks of wooden debris out from the cart, checking for other survivors. “It'll take an hour to fix this! At least!

“We have no choice,” the mare said. “My grandparents are far too weak to trot on their own and the other zebras have no room in their wagons.”

“Well, we c-can't just leave you all behind!” Eagle Eye stammered. “The goblins could come swinging by any moment, right?!”

A pair of zebra foals whimpered nervously. The mare stood in front of them, frowning at Eagle Eye. “We are hoping to avoid that at all costs.” She exhaled. “We didn't burn our lifelong homes to dust simply because we were bored of the scenery.”

“Look, I'm not trying to step on anypony's hooves! It's just that... that...” Eagle Eye sighed, then turned towards Roarke. “Help me out here.”

“Ma'am...” Roarke paced around the demolished cart. “How important is the bulk of things inside this vehicle?”

“Well...” The striped mare knelt and held her two foals close. “They're all precious to us, of course. Family heirlooms and the like.” She gulped. “But they don't mean anything if we can't find new farmland to live off of.”

“Then, essentially speaking, you don't need the wagon to survive?”

“Roarke!” Eagle Eye protested. “Weren't you listening earlier?!” He pointed at the two shivering elders. “The grandparents can't trot on their hooves like a bunch of the other zebras!”

“Believe it or not, I'm still employing the 'Most Rare' monicker.” Roarke tilted her head towards the heavens. She eyed Whizzball, then spoke into a fetlock-mounted sound stone. “Come in, breeder. This is Roarke. Respond.”

“Scrkkk!” Zaid's voice crackled to life. “You rang?

“No, the other breeder.”

Josho's voice warbled through. “Yo.

“What's your head count on the refugees again?”

“Really? That's all that you called me to ask?

Roarke frowned. “Would you rather I lasso you down by your balls and ask in person?”

“Ahem. It's... h-hard to stay concentrated and pilot this giant black kidney stone at the same time. But... uhhhh... if I recall, the number we determined was somewhere around one hundred and twenty.”

“And just how many of those consisted of the sick, young, and elderly?”

“What are you even getting at, Roarke?”

“The old stallion has a point.” Eagle Eye trotted up to the mare's side. “What are you getting at?”

“The Jury's committed to escorting these zebras to Bountiful.”

“Right. Nopony's questioning that.”

“But we might inadvertently kill them at this rate,” Roarke said. “A long walk such as this in the dry heat will only bring the elderly to ruin.”

“Then what are you proposing?”

Roarke looked up, up at the Noble Jury. She brought the soundstone to her muzzle again. “Other breeder. Come in.”

“Scrkkkk! Whazzzzzzup?

“Zaid, bring the Noble Jury down.”

“Uh. Sure. Okay.” A pause. “What for?”


“Oki doki loki!” Props smiled as she bounced her way from cluster to cluster of families huddled inside the ship's hangar bay. The doors to the rear hung wide open, revealing the desert landscape lingering under a blood-red sunset. “Is every zebra comfortable?! Need more blankets?”

“We're quite fine,” spoke a mare, smiling as she sat besides her two foals and grandparents. She bundled a comforter around her and her children. “You've done so much for us. Thank you.”

“Heeeeey! Our pleasure!” Props curtsied. “Never a frowning face on board the Striped Express!”

Across the hangar, a stallion waved his hoof to gather Props' attention.

“Whoopsies! I'm needed!” Props dashed over. “Noble Jury Flight Attendant Propsy, at your service!”

“My uncle is parched,” the zebra said, bowing humbly. “D-do you have some water for his throat?”

“Can doodly-do!” Props saluted.

“Thank you...” The stallion smiled, eyes glossy. “Thank you so very much. You have no idea what this means to us.”

“I'm starting to!” Props winked. “Coming up with the water!” She backtrotted towards the stairwell. “Sorry for all the stale bread! Our... uh... our cook's far away on a death-defying mission of harmony and friendship! So the best we can give all of you at once is our bulk supply! I'm sure there'll be plenty of flavorable stuff once we reach Bountiful!”

The many-many zebras murmured their thanks and appreciation.

Props hummed as she trotted into the stairwell. More zebras were seated on the various platforms between the steps. She stepped over a pair of foals chasing each other, giggling at their cuteness, before pausing at an intercom. “Heeeeey Zaidy Waidy!”

“Scrkkkk! Moshi moshi!”

“How's Nancy handling?”

“Whelp, like a dream! So long as it's a slow and sluggish dream that doesn't make any sudden moves!”

“Are the extra passengers weighing us down that much?”

“Ha! This ship's handled worse, I'm sure! Like—maybe if we were carrying all of the hundred plus zebras, then sure. Ahem. I'm more worried about shorting out the tome inside the energy core.”

“Just keep flying straight and steady!” Props chirped. “We'll get to Bountiful even if we have to crawl!”

“I'm only crawling on all fours for you, Blondie.”

Props' face scrunched up. “But don't we always walk on all fours?”

“Err... you know what I mean.”

“Teeheehee! I never do!” Props smiled. “Anywho, off to get some water for one of the elder zebie-zebies!”

“Goddes, I love it when you talk desert.”

“Uh huh.” And she clicked the intercom off and bounced her way towards the kitchen on the second deck. As she did so, she passed by Booster Spice trotting down the stairwell.

“Hey!” He rushed forward and tapped a striped shoulder. “Hey, Pilate! Have you got a firm trajectory on—?”

The stallion turned and blinked at the goggled pony. “I'm not 'Pilate.'”

Booster Spice winced. “Er... m-my bad! Sorry to bother you.” He turned and cleared his throat, tapping another zebra's shoulder. “Hey. Pilate. Could you check to see if we're—”

“My name's not Pilate.”

“Gosh darn it!” Booster Spice hissed. “Finding the navigator would be so much easier without the sudden penguin convention!”

“Hey! Booster!” called a feminine voice.

Booster glanced down towards the bottom of the stairwell.

Belle waved from where she and Pilate crouched beside an elder zebra, tending to her bruises with a first aid kit.

Booster scampered down, breathless. “Boy am I so glad I found you...”

“Honestly, Mr. Spice?” Belle smiled, wrapping a bandage around the zebra mare's leg. “My beloved is the only one with a metal plate and the O.A.S.I.S. sphere.”

“Yeah, w-well...” Booster's cheeks puffed red. “Easy f-for him to tell the difference! He's blind!”

Pilate chuckled and shook his head.

Booster glanced nervously at him. “What?”

“Nothing...” He waved his fetlock, smirking. “I'm not touching that one.”

“What's the all-important message that needs delivering, Mr. Spice?” Belle asked.

“I-I just wanted to check with our navigator to make sure we're on the right course.”

“Last time I checked with Zaid, we most certainly were.” Pilate nodded. “Why? Is something amiss?”

“I'm spotting lots of dead trees to the south,” Booster Spice said. “But, according to the path you laid out, our route back to Bountiful should be mostly barren.”

Belle blinked at her husband. “Is it possible that we somehow veered off course?”

“I'm certain I gave Zaid explicit instructions,” Pilate remarked. “Or—rather—Roarke on the ground, did.”

“Well, that's just the thing.” Booster Spice gulped. “I think Zaid's following Roarke and the other zebras... on the ground.

“So... by following the caravan, the Jury has flown off course?” Belle said.

“That's what I'm thinking.”

“Hmmm...” Pilate stood up with Booster's assistance. “Shouldn't be too difficult of a problem to fix. I'll have to communicate with Roarke, though. It'll be up to her to convince the head of the caravan down below to angle the exodus north a bit.”

“Well, the sooner the better.” Booster shuddered. “I still have no clue how the residents of Bountiful are going to react to this... visit we're arranging.” He gulped. “Or the Duchess for that matter.”

“I doubt there'll be an issue,” Pilate said with a smile. “We'll help the refugees build a printing press.”

“Huh?”

The blind zebra blinked. “That way we'll blend in.”

Belle giggled, rolling her eyes. “Oh beloved...”

“Forgive me. I was in the moment.”

“I'll consider it,” Belle said, moving on to check on the next family.

Booster helped Pilate up the stairs so that they could trot towards the cockpit. They passed Props as she scurried down into the hangar with a pitcher of water. Nopony was anywhere near the engine room... nor the door that hung open with a slight crack. As a result, none of the Jurists were within earshot of Props' communication array when a familiar voice began crackling to life.

“Props...? Propsicle? Are you there, lass? I... scrkkkk... I've gotten this bloody thing almost fixed! It's been quite the struggle, but we've nearly crossed the Wastes! Are you there?! Please respond...”

Silence.

The array flickered again.

“Propsicle? Helllllllo?

More silence.

Scrkkkk... dammit... probably shaggin' that smelly bum's tail off, the silly tart...”

PreviousChapters Next