• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,544 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,544

PreviousChapters Next
467. Floccinaucinihilipilification by Knight of Lycaeus

***

“Celestia?” Twilight asked as she levitated a wooden box into the room, “There’s an unlabeled box here that I had found among some of your stuff. I was trying to tidy up, but I don’t know what’s in this box.”

Celestia got up and walked over from she was reading over a last minute proposal from a petitioner. “Let me have a look Twilight”, she said as her magic took the box from Twilight’s magic field.

Celestia looked at the small box and after a while she smiled slightly. She walked over and placed the box down on her desk clearing away some of the piled up paperwork.

Twilight sighed, “I did just organize that.”

Celestia kissed Twilight lightly, “I know and thank you for doing that. But I believe I know what is in this box. That I think will be worth a few misplaced forms.”

Twilight looked at the piles that had just been shifted onto the floor. “I should reorganize this, again. Just to make sure nothing important got misplaced.”

Celestia nuzzled Twilight before using her wing to draw the other Alicorn in, “That can wait a few minutes.”

Twilight grumbled, but said nothing as Celestia’s magic carefully pried the box open.

Most of the box was filled with a few letter and few small trinkets. The age and design of what was in the box varied greatly from items that were relatively more recent to things that were far older.

However the last item to come out of the box wasn’t anything Twilight had expected. It was carved from wood that much she could see. But otherwise there wasn’t anything distinct or unique about it.

“Celestia”, Twilight said as the last item was carefully levitated onto the desk, “what is that? It looks almost the same colour as the box, but the box looks pristine and so I don’t think it’s a broken piece from the box. Otherwise I don’t see anything special about it.”

Celestia laughed slightly which caught Twilight off-guard.

Celestia looked a bit sheepish when she caught Twilight’s glare, “Ah sorry, I wasn’t laughing at you. But rather I was laughing at the fact that we both devalued this little item the first time we saw it. There is actually a long story involved with this, one that begins before Unification.”

Twilight’s ears perked up, “Something from before Unification? Could I hear about it?”

Celestia shook her head, “The story in full is far too long to share with you right now. However I can tell you of what happened the first time I found this statue.”


“Father, what is this?” asked the filly to the Unicorn standing nearby.

The sand coated Unicorn turned and carefully lifted the small item from the filly’s hoof.

“Mother had asked that Luna and I helped to clear away some of the things in the house. I found this while cleaning. Before I could throw it away, Mother told me to bring this to you. I am not certain why. There doesn’t look to be anything special, it looks like any other.”

The Unicorn nodded as he examined the small object. In his magic was a small wooden statue of a Knight in full barding. The statue was rough carved with a few chisel marks that had not been smoothed out, the sword it held was dented and askew, and it lacked the paint work that one would usually find on statues such as these. In was as the filly said it was an unremarkable item. Of no worth or value, yet the stallion smiled.

He bent down and nuzzled the confused filly, “Thank you my daughter. I had feared that I had truly lost this.”

The filly as her father nuzzled her although she was still confused by the rough and simple statue. “Is it that special to you?” she asked.

He stood up and placed the statue down on a nearby table, “It is. This was given to me as a gift by somepony close to me a long time ago.”

His eyes glazed over as he became lost in the memories before shaking his head slightly, “That is a story for another day my daughter. Come, let us go and help your mother and sister with cleaning up.”

The filly nodded and ran back to where her mother and sister were working. However the stallion lingered for a bit as he looked forlornly at the small statue. A small yet powerful reminder of the life he left behind and the friends he had lost. The war with the Imperium wasn’t over; the one who had taken his brother still lived and gaining power if rumours were to be believed.


“Now I understand why you said it would be a long story,” Twilight commented.

“Far too long, the war lasted quite some time”, Celestia said as she went back to the box. Carefully she pried the base of the box free to reveal another hidden space.

“My father dabbled in carpentry all his life and the box was originally his. One thing that he was fond of was working in subtle designs into whatever he made a fact that my mother loved and one that frustrated her to no end. This box was made to house his prized possession and one of those was his journal.”

Celestia lifted a faded and worn book out of the box.

“He told me the story a few times in my life and understandably he disliked sharing the story. Yet he wrote it all down in here, the journal he carried with him during the war.”

Twilight carefully took the journal from Celestia mindful of its age.

“Did he ever tell you who?” Twilight asked tentatively.

Celestia looked at Twilight before sighing, “He did. That is also part of the story and it is equally as long, but it would be best to hear my father’s story first. For now I think we should put this all away and later we’ll spend some time reading his journal before I tell you the second half.”

PreviousChapters Next