• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,544 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,544

PreviousChapters Next
406. Sublety(2) by Donraj

***

"And so that is why you should allow me to use the money from my district’s recent royal school tax to pay for the renovations to the town boardwalk," the petitioner concluded. "The projected increase in revenues for local businesses will easily make up for the temporary shortfall while also allowing us to continue integrating vocational training with the local education system."

Twilight was just about to lose her struggle to suppress a yawn when Celestia reached down from her throne and nudged her with an outstretched wing. The little filly jerked as her mind returned to full alertness and then some. She was trying to formulate an excuse when Celestia spoke.

"Twilight, how would you handle this case?"

Twilight stammered for a moment before falling silent. She reviewed the facts and arguments from the presentation she had been half listening to and came to the conclusion that she was missing crucial data.

She also looked absolutely adorable in the process. Even the jaded and greedy aristocrats clogging the Day Court couldn't help but feel their hearts warmed just a bit by the serious expression on their Princess's precocious pupil's face.

"Senator," Twilight Sparkle said with a foal's version of gravitas, "What exactly do you mean by 'vocational training' in this context?"

The senator smiled condescendingly. "Secondary school students in our district will spend part of the week interning at various local businesses involved in the renovations. This will provide them with valuable first hoof experience at various trades as well as allowing them to make connections with employers that will lay the foundations for their future careers."

Twilight scrunched her face into a frown as she pondered this. The proposal did make some sense.

"And that would also let them begin developing financial independence," Twilight noted. "How much would that be paid? Would part of their wages come from the renovation budget?"

The senator stammered for a second at the unexpected question. "Well, that is, foal labor laws prevent them from being paid but the experience will be highly educational."

Twilight's brow furrowed. "Which businesses would they be working at and in what capacity?"

The senator looked uncomfortable. "Well, many of them would be engaged in basic service and clerical duties but the businesses in questions are pillars of the community such as..."

He proceeded to rattle off a series of names, clearly eager to change the subject. Twilight looked startled.

"But Senator!" she said. "Don't you own large or controlling shares in all of those companies?"

The senator was starting to sweat. He tried to cover it with a smile. "Yes, well, that's how I was able to work out enough internships for..."

The senator trailed off lamely. Princess Celestia picked that moment to cut in.

"Senator, what is the status of the repairs to the local school buildings the tax was originally levied to fund?"

The senator grabbed the new topic like a drowning pony seizing a life preserver. "They are proceeding quite nicely," he said with a dismissive wave of his hoof. "The worst problem is mildew in a few of the older libraries, and we can always just buy new books—"

The senator was cut off when a purple aura of unicorn magic plucked him off his hooves and sent him flying out through throne room doors and up in a parabolic trajectory that Celestia calculated might well terminate outside the city and well away from the mountain itself. She looked down at her furious student and forced herself not to smile.

"Subtlety, Twilight," Celestia chided.

PreviousChapters Next