• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,544 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,544

PreviousChapters Next
358. Adventures in Home Ownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks: Melody by Honey Mead

***

Adventures in Homeownership with Sunny Skies and Dusky Sparks: Melody

Winter and all it brought had come to Equestria at last. The pegasi had been diligent in the weeks before, moving in thick clouds filled with the first snows of the season. Cold air from the north was guided south, cooling the air until the lakes and rivers began to freeze.

But that had been weeks ago, and now the season was in full swing. Not an inch of ground, save those kept clear by plow and shovel, were devoid of the glistening white snow still falling in its gentle way. Streams of smoke wafted from nearly every chimney in every house, adding streaks of grey contrast the white clouds that still blocked the sun's light.

Outside of Manehatten, in a tiny suburb easily forgotten by the world, there was one house that none who saw would ever forget. It was not large by any means, nor particularly impressive in any way. Rather, the moment one's eyes gaze upon it, it would become the symbol of what it was to be a cottage, a pure and complete representation of the concept, with its thatched roof and cross-hatched walls.

From its doughs hug tiny, multi-hued lights, now covered in ice from the daily cycle of thawing and freezing, giving them a sparkling quality that no manufacturer could hope to recreate. Similar lights were woven through the shrubs and along the stone wall that surrounded its snow covered lawn, leaving the unshoveled path still discernable by the negative space they left. Upon its door, an ivy wreath hung, with pinecones and nuts and a little red bow.

Its windows were covered in a light dusting of frost with small drifts of snow piled against the ledges. All the windows were dark, save one, where a warm orange glow poured out.

Through that window, the cottage's living room could be seen. A fire merrily burned beneath the hearth where more strings of light and streamers of evergreens drooping here and there about the mantle and the doors. Stuffed in a corner, large only compared to the size of the room, was an evergreen tree with small candles perched amid its decorated branches, their flames dancing and swaying in the not quite still air. Beside the window, a small gramophone played, its volume so low that only the melody of the Hearth's Warming carols could be heard.

Two mares laid before the fireplace enjoying its warmth. A white pegasus with a soft-pink mane and a dark-purple coated unicorn with a mane of lighter blues. The pegasus had a wing draped over the other's side, holding her tight as they both sipped at steaming mugs. The unicorn's horn glowed a sparkling violet, holding a book before her muzzle. She read from its pages, her lips whisper to her lover while her eyes scanned.

Reaching the end, she set the book aside and turned to face her partner. The lovers shared a kiss before cuddling all the closer and crossing their necks. Their eyes closed and in moments they were asleep, chests rising and falling in harmony as they dreamed.

PreviousChapters Next