• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,543 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,543

PreviousChapters Next
405. Rapier by Donraj

***

Twilight made an experimental thrust with the slender blade.

“I always snickered at Blueblood for spending so much time practicing with these,” she commented. “It just seemed so pointless.”

Twilight paused for a moment. “That pun was not intentional.”

Celestia grinned as she worked her own weapon through a dizzying practice routine.

“They’re actually quite deadly even without augmentation. Especially back then; my little ponies knew enough about medicine to handle slashing wounds by that point. Puncture wounds not so much.”

Twilight cocked her head as she considered that. “…That makes so much sense,” she said, clearly embarrassed she hadn’t considered that particular context.

“Their major weakness was that they were utterly useless against armor,” Celestia continued. “They actually first saw use by toughs and street gangs well before they caught on with the nobility.”

Twilight nodded a bit absently as she started channeling magic into her sword the way Celestia had described. As the link between it and her horn took form the rapier began to glow of its own accord.

"Which isn't to say that their reputation as useless ornamental weapons is unjustified in the case of the sporting versions that came later," Celestia concluded as her own sword lit up with golden light. "But yes, they were perfectly effective even before we realized they could deliver pinpoint magic attacks if used as a focus."

Celestia whipped her rapier up into a ready position and smiled. Her face had a slightly predatory expression at odds with her usual gentle wisdom and authority. "And that's why we're here."

Twilight mirrored the Princess's stance. "Focused study," she repeated for the thousandth time.

Celestia nodded, quick and curt. "Power will never be a problem for you, Twilight Sparkle. What determines your success will be how well you can learn discipline and control."

Both ponies bent their knees slightly as they prepared to lunge.

"En garde!"

PreviousChapters Next