• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,543 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,543

PreviousChapters Next
169. Fishing by Sankt Kaiser

***

The sun shined brightly above a small Equestrian lake where a rowboat with three colorful ponies talked without a care in the world.

“How does this work?” Celestia looked down at a young filly with a curious glance. She was fiddling with a rod and reel tangled up in a maze of clear line. “And why can’t we use magic?” she whined loudly as a hook nicked her ear.

The regal mare’s horn lit up and freed the foal from further entanglement. She was about to answer her question but was swiftly interrupted by her prized pupil.

“According to this, halieutics originated in coastal Centaur tribes. Their opposable thumb made this possible.” Twilight stated her muzzle buried deep within a book. “It’s rather fascinating to be honest! Using fishing rods instead of nets, the Centaur avoided over-fishing and only caught enough to supply their populous and trade with inland tribes.”

“But we have hooves!” the filly exclaimed dramatically waving hers up in the air. Celestia giggled at her young progeny.

“It’s supposed to be a fun bonding experience for both parent and foal.” Twilight smugly retorted. “Are you having fun?” A yellow magic aura surrounded the old book and hurled it across the lake in response. “My book!” Twilight Sparkle screeched ready to dive after it. Her first instinct was to glare at the child, but to her surprise it was the great princess who looked away with guilt.

Celestia raised a great wing and pulled her student close with the child between them. “It is nothing more than a dusty old book, you will not miss it.”

“But it was a first edition!” the purple alicorn pouted.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia said raising her fishing rod, “This is our first trip with Starswirl and I intend to have fun. Memories as precious as this should be savoured.”

Starswirl was too preoccupied wrangling with the reel to care. With a great growl she snapped the object in two. “INTO THE DEPTHS WITH YOU!” she yelled in the Royal Canterlot voice as she threw it into the lake.

Shaking her head woefully, Celestia raised the rod out of the water and repaired it with ease. She handed it back to the huffing foal and said, “Be still little one. There are many things in this world that will stand in your way,” a bright red floater in the distance bobbed in the water, “But with patience and a little hard work,” Celestia’s hoof held onto the reel firmly as she wound it, “You will reap the rewards!”

Twilight’s first edition copy of Fishing for Foals popped out of the water clinging to Celestia’s hook. The three stared at it dumbfounded and broke out into a hysterical fit of laughter.

Author's Note:

Another new author! Let Sankt Kaiser know what you think in the comments!

PreviousChapters Next