• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,544 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,544

PreviousChapters Next
457. Tacent by Ultra1437

***

Look at them, having the time of their lives. That should be me with her, not Twilight!’ A voice yells in my head, shattering my thoughts. I blink twice, and release my grip on the bannister keeping me from falling over. My crossbow sits next to me, unloaded but strung to fire at a moment’s notice.

I looked down from my vantage point, spying on the two princesses’ romantic picnic. I keep telling myself it’s to protect them, but that lie keeps feeling more and more flimsy by the day. Maybe… maybe one day I’ll work up the courage to say something, but what chance do I have against one of the Elements of Harmony, and fellow ruler?

My shoulders slump. ‘No chance, that’s what.’ I lamely think, forcing myself to look away just before Twilight leans back to kiss Celestia. They’ve been happily dating for six months, two weeks, and three days now. No, I’m not obsessed. I’ve just been good at keeping track of time.

The longer you wait, your chances with her dwindle…’ the voice helpfully adds. This time, I don’t even bother looking away as Celestia kisses Twilight. The blow to my heart hurts, but it’s a common pain now.

I managed to catch Princess Luna spying on one of my dreams about Princess Celestia, and she assured me that she will not reveal my feelings to either of them. Either way, I’m not sure if she was telling the truth or lying, but nothing has been said yet.

A bush rustling nearby startled me from my thoughts. My muscles move automatically, years of training honing them to a subconscious action. My hand snaps to the crossbow and the other draws a bolt, slamming it into the channel and arming the weapon. My wings flare as I call out, “Who goes there?”

I take wing as the bush continues to rustle. I set down loudly, announcing my presence and aiming at the bush. “Come on out, I know you’re there.”

The bush’s only response was to stop suddenly and squeak. I slowly close and finally see somepony inside the bush. White fur, purple mane, and probably terrified.

Lowering the weapon, I kneel down and glare at the pony, my training still driving my body. “This area is off limits for the evening. Please leave.”

The pony, no mare, looks into my eyes, almost as if she’s searching for something. She’s terrified, yes, but in only a few seconds it fades. Naught but a few seconds later, she’s bolted upright and apologizing profusely.

I get a good look at her, though I ignore her words. She’s thin, but not overly so like some of those so-called ‘supermodels’. She has a white coat, similar to Princess Celestia’s, and her mane and tail are styled as well, though I can’t recall the style’s name. She looks beautiful, but has a subtle, hidden strength to her.

In the middle of her apology she reaches forward.

Instinct kicks in and I bring up the weapon. “Ma’am, this area is off limits. Please leave. I will not ask again.” Her pupils shrink and she freezes, just like a normal pony would.

“I’m terribly sorry, sir. Princess Luna told me to meet a guard out this way.” She reaches into one of her pockets and fishes out a note. “She said to give them this note.”

Right.’ I cocked an eyebrow, “And you hid in the bush to get my attention?”

A blush furiously drew across her face before she looked away. “I… may have actually tripped into it.”

“Oh.” She passes me the note.

Try taking Rarity here out. You both will find more in common than you realize.

Besides, you owe me. Your replacement will arrive shortly and relieve you.

PL

I sigh. ‘Of course she’s doing this right now. Well, it’s a direct order, and she is beautiful.’ Subconsciously, I hope Luna is right.


“Love, was that Rarity being escorted away?”

“Maybe.”

PreviousChapters Next