• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
Super Bowl Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday

This morning I made sure that I got up on time. Sleeping in is nice, but then I don't get as much done as I want to, plus I feel sort of sluggish all day.

It was another nice day—although a bit chilly. I took a brief trot around campus to limber up, and then went back to my dorm to get my flight vest.

While I was there, I decided that I'd try one of the cans of anchovies as a pre-flight snack. There was a little ring on the lid that I could pull with my teeth, which was really convenient. Peggy has a can opener, but it isn't very hoof-friendly.

They were just as tasty as I'd hoped they would be, even if they were only fillets. I swallowed them down whole and then used my radio to call the airplane directors and get flight clearance.

I zipped around in the sky for a while, not really doing anything other than stretching my wings. I would have flown for longer, but my light stopped blinking, and I'm not allowed to fly without it unless I stay close to the ground.

I wasn't really disappointed, though. I'd made a couple of nice laps of downtown Kalamazoo, and I kind of took the long way back, just made sure that I stayed low where airplanes weren't allowed to fly.

It's interesting how the perspective changes depending on your altitude. The main part of Kalamazoo is in sort of a depression, with hills around it, and when I'm down low, I can't see very much of it, just some of the tall buildings and smokestacks and of course the college bell tower.

There are other spindly towers that are cell towers and television towers, and I'm supposed to stay away from them because they can put off dangerous radiation. They have lights on them so that they're easy to see.

When I got back to the dorm I took off my flight gear and went to the shower. I didn't have to wait to use it, 'cause there wasn't anyone else awake. Even Peggy was still asleep, and so when I got done in the shower and went back to my room I groomed myself quietly 'cause I didn't want to wake her up.

I spent most of the morning studying—there was a climate science test coming up on Monday, and I was still having trouble remembering the human names for things. Then I helped Peggy a bit with her math. We went to dinner a bit early, so that we'd have time to get over to Aric's for the Super Bowl.

I was happy that she wanted to walk there, 'cause it gave us time to talk about the game. Peggy gave me a brief run-down of how the game is played, and who the two teams playing were. I asked if Kalamazoo had a football team, and she said that the city didn't, but Michigan had one called the Lions. She said that they were the worst team in the NFL.

She told me that the teams that were playing in the Super Bowl were the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos, which were not the same as the Western Michigan Broncos. She hoped that the Broncos would win, because they were her local team back in Colorado.

We were not the first guests to arrive: Keith was already there, along with Christine, Sean, and Donald (who plays Durach with us). I also met his roommate, David, who lives in the basement, and his other roommate Sara, who was really short. She was happy to meet me and petted my mane. He has a third roommate named Douglas, but he was out of town, Aric said.

There was a big television set up in the front room, and a couple of couches facing it. One of the couches was huge, and a hideous gold color; the other was smaller and more threadbare. There was also a chair which he called a Lazy Boy that had silvery patches all over it. Peggy said that was duct tape, and David said that you could fix anything with it. Since that wasn't enough room, there was also a rug and blankets on the floor.

In the next room back were stairs leading to the second floor, and there was also a big table set up with snack food and bubbly soft drinks. The center of the room had a silver barrel of beer sitting in a pool full of ice to keep it cold.

That was my first stop. Aric said it was Bell's Oberon, which I liked. And he had lots of red cups which were called Solo cups, and they were plastic so if you dropped them they wouldn't break.

A bunch more people showed up, and pretty soon there were several conversations going on all at once. It got a little confusing because there were also several men on the TV talking about what the game would be like, and how well the teams had done in the season. It reminded me of listening to the smalltalk in pubs back in Equestria—if mares weren't complaining about stallions, they were talking about sports.

Then it was time for the game to start, and everyone found a spot in the living room. Since there wasn't enough couch space to accommodate everyone, some people had to sit on the floor.

That felt like the most social spot to me, so I joined the group on the floor. It was kind of tricky to move around, since there were cups of beer and plates of snacks that had to be avoided, but we managed.

Aric gave up his seat on the couch to join us on the floor, which was really nice of him, and worked out to my benefit, too. (He'd said that I could sit next to him on the couch, but I didn't want to crowd Sara.)

Peggy sat down next to me, and said that she was going to make sure that there wasn't any hanky-panky, and Aric raised both of his hands up in the air and said that he wasn't doing anything.

By the end of the first quarter, things had kind of settled down. Peggy was happy because the Broncos were winning, and I was happy because I was snuggled between Aric and Peggy. I was resting my head on his leg, and he had his hand on my back.

Everyone got up and stretched out during halftime. Aric said it wasn't really worth watching, because the announcers would recap what we'd just seen, and then there was a concert that probably wouldn't be any good. Sara and Keith got in a good-natured debate on the merits of Beyonce's music, while pretty much everyone else took turns at the bathroom.

Aric's house has two; one upstairs and one downstairs. The downstairs one is right off the kitchen, and there is a frosted glass window in it to let light in. A couple of the girls went upstairs, while the rest of us just waited our turn for the downstairs bathroom.

We had more beer and more snacks during the concert, and just talked about stuff, then when it was time for the game to start again, everyone got back in their old places and watched the rest of the game.

Peggy had told me that usually, people get up during the commercials, but they're special in the Super Bowl and so we ought to watch them. There was one for Budweiser which had horses in it (it even said Not Ponies, as if people wouldn't know the difference). There was kind of a hush that fell over everyone; I think they were waiting to see how I'd react to it.

It was kind of weird, but I'd just seen them for a moment, and couldn't really make much judgment on them from that. And it wasn't like I didn't know that there were horses on Earth.

So I said that if they were smarter, they'd be in college drinking Oberon and watching the Super Bowl, and everyone had a good laugh.

By the third quarter, some people were leaving. Keith went home with Christine and Sean and Donald, and Sara went up to her room for the night, and everyone who was left (mostly the people who had come late that I didn't know very well) sort of re-arranged themselves.

The Broncos wound up winning, which made Peggy very happy.

Then the other people started leaving. We moved to the vacant gold couch, and Aric turned off the sound on the television. It was kind of funny watching the people on the screen doing stuff that we couldn't hear.

When Aric got up to use the bathroom again, Peggy said that it was probably time for us to go—it was late, and we both had classes tomorrow. I agreed . . . but I didn't want to. I was enjoying Aric's company too much.

She muttered something under her breath when I said that, and moved over so that she was sitting right next to me on the couch. She asked me if I was sure about what I was doing, and that it wasn't just the beer talking.

I said that I liked him; he was nice and funny and just fun to be with.

She sighed and said that if that was how I felt, that was how I felt. She told me to not do anything that I'd regret, and then told me that she was going to sleep on the couch just to make sure that I'd be all right.

When Aric came back in the room, Peggy looked him right in the eye and told him that if he did anything to hurt me, she was going to rip his dick off and beat him to death with it. Then she reached up under her shirt and pulled her bra out her sleeve, lay down on the smaller couch, and pulled a blanket up over herself.

So Aric and I took the bigger couch for ourselves. We could have gone to his bedroom, I suppose, but I didn't want to leave Peggy alone in the living room.

He stretched out along the couch, and I snuggled up against his chest, then he put his arm around me and we fell asleep like that.

PreviousChapters Next