• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,365 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,365

PreviousChapters Next
February 16 [philosophy is like poetry]

February 16

I got woken up by a weird voice calling out 'Hey, listen!’ I jerked my head out of the pillow and got my legs under me, then almost fell over onto Aric. Beds aren't really made for standing on, and it wasn't helped by him rolling away from me. My wings weren't much use for balance, covered by the blankets as they were, and I began shaking the covers off my back even as I was still struggling to stay on my hooves. It was not a pleasant way to wake up, and it was all the more scary because I didn't know where the voice was coming from.

Aric rolled over and pawed at his bedside table until he found his telephone, and when he tapped the screen, the voice stopped. By that time, I'd managed to fully extricate myself from the covers, which had the side effect of removing them from Aric as well.

That in turn woke him all the way up, and just as I was settling back down, he picked up his telephone and looked at the screen.

'Hey, listen!' it shouted again, and he muttered something under his breath and then answered it.

He said something about a collect call, and then a moment later his face paled and he sat all the way upright in bed. His conversation was super-short, he only said one or two words at a time, things like 'how much?' and 'where?'

I wasn't sure what was going on. Peggy usually didn't speak in less than a full paragraph at a time when she was on the telephone, but a lot of stallions aren't as gossipy as mares, so maybe that was true here too.

When he was done with his odd conversation, he put the telephone down and reached beside the bed for his pants. Without turning around, he told me that he had to go, David (his roommate) had gotten arrested last night and he had to bail him out.

I wanted to know what he'd done to get arrested, and Aric said that he didn't know; David wouldn't say on the telephone, but that a week ago they'd—and then he stopped and told me that it wasn't important, the important thing was that he had to get David out of jail.

Then he pulled on his shirt and slipped his phone in his pocket and kissed me in the forehead and said that he was sorry.

Well, so was I, but there was nothing I could do about it. I just flopped back into the bed and pulled the covers over myself and thought that maybe if I had Victoria's Secret underwear like Peggy I'd be more attractive.

Maybe I was cursed.

I shifted over to the left, to lie on his warm spot on the bed and bury my snout in the pillow which smelled like him. Then I scooped up the pillow I'd just vacated and clenched it to my chest and dozed back off for a little bit.

I woke back up as the first light of dawn was painting the room, and there was no Aric. I could have waited a bit later, but there was no reason to stick around.

After a brief stop in my dorm room, I spent my frustrations in the air. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day, one of those days where you can really see the clouds at different altitudes: a high deck of cirrus clouds, with a lower scattering of cumulus. It fit my mood well; gray clouds as far as the eye could see.

I finished my exercise by stripping off a bit of a wandering cumulus cloud and carrying it back down with me. This time I'd only taken a little piece, and I'd been able to concentrate it into a size not much larger than a pony.

I dragged it into the dorm with me and Peggy poked at it in wonder while I stripped out of my flight outfit.

She wanted to know what I was going to do with it, and I told her that I was going to use it to get an ice-cold shower. Well, she wanted to see that, so she joined me in the shower cubicle and I set it just above and then once I was sure she was clear, I bucked it to knock the rain loose.

Peggy held out her arm like she couldn't really believe what she was seeing, and promptly yanked it back out of the flow, but then she bravely stuck her arm back in. She wanted to know how I did it, so I explained to her how clouds work and how our inherent magic lets us manipulate them and stand on them. If I'd brought a bigger cloud, I could have stood on it, but then it probably wouldn't have fit through the door.

After the cloud had spit out the last of its rain and evaporated, there was a thin skim of ice on the shower room floor—nothing much, just a little glaze—and my wings were crackling with it. The joke would have been on me if the hot water hadn't been working, but it was, and it melted the ice admirably.

Some splashing was unavoidable, and Peggy got wet, which I hadn't intended, but she said that she didn't mind. I think she could tell that I hadn't had a good night, but she didn't say anything or ask any questions, and sometimes that's best.

Then when I was done she looked down at her shirt and said it looked like she'd been in a wet T-shirt contest and laughed. She said that she hoped that she didn't run into any of the boys in the hall between the bathroom and our dorm room, and I offered to get her dry clothes, but she said it was okay, if I could go around flashing everyone, so could she.

We didn't have any more time to talk than that; I got dried off and preened while she got a set of fresh clothes and went off to take a shower (after telling me that I'd gotten half of it done for her).

Her good humor made me in a better mood, and it only improved when I got to poetry class. Conrad could put a smile on anypony's face.

He began by reading us a poem called You Want To Grow Old Like The Carters. I didn't know who they were, but the poem made them sound like very good people. One of the students asked if Conrad was making a political statement, and his eyes twinkled (just like the Carters!) and he said that if serving the poor instead of playing golf was a political statement, then he guessed he was.

And then the student bristled and he was about to say something else—and I bristled, because I could feel a bit of tension in the room, and then Conrad looked right at me and asked me if I would be so kind as to read When You See Water to the class. So I did.

I knew about rivers, and I knew that rain and clouds and streams and rivers and snow and fog and oceans and springs are all the same thing, even though they look different and serve different purposes and I thought of the little cloud I'd taken this morning down from its place in the sky and I'd made it pour itself into the drain but then it would go back to a river or a stream and then to the sea and the sun would warm it or a pegasus would lift it and soon enough it would be a cloud again, repeating the cycle over and over again. Sometimes the water even gets captured in an engine but it doesn't stay there for too long before it's free again.

Then he had another student read Turning Madness Into Flowers, which was about how when people die they become oil. That seemed like an odd thing to become, although I knew that some plants could be squished to get oil out of them. Sometimes there are metaphors which I don't quite understand.

He left us with a final poem, called She, and it made me think of Peggy, even though it was written for Gloria Steinem. I thought I ought to read it for Peggy and see what she thought.

I didn't have a whole lot of free time in the afternoon, since I was meeting with my philosophy teacher. I read the letter from my sister, who was doing well and thought that I was very brave for visiting such a crazy place as America. She had a lot of questions for me, mostly about flying (since I'd told her all about how I had to take a test and wear special clothes), and of course she wanted to know if I had found a humanfriend yet and if so what was it like.

I told her about how organized the sky was here, but not in the way she'd expect, and told her about Aric and the nice weaponsmith I'd met and my new glaive and moonstone necklace and caparison, and I also included Acceptance because I thought it was a very good poem and maybe I needed to be reminded to let whatever will be, be.

When I met with my philosophy professor, she explained to me how humanity had always been coming up with ideas about if there was a God or maybe several gods, and that as far as she understood it, the two major questions were always where did we come from and where did we go after we died. She said that different cultures approached those questions in different ways.

I said that Liz had told me I ought to read the Bible and that would tell me who God was and the professor sighed and said that that might not have been the best approach. I wasn't sure why she would say that; I thought Liz had given me pretty good advice, even if I was having trouble understanding everything in the Bible but I hadn't made it very far yet.

So the professor told me that faith and science were two different things, and that sometimes philosophy tried to be science even if maybe it wasn't, while faith was faith, and didn't need science to prove it. She also told me that it was important to be aware that all the philosophers only understood what was known at the time they lived, and their philosophy reflected it.

She said that she understood I would have problems comprehending it fully; she didn't think I knew enough about human history to fully grasp the cultures that had produced the men who wrote the philosophy, and it was important to be aware that there wasn't necessarily a 'right' answer. Philosophy was about the understanding of ourselves and our societies.

That sort of cleared things up for me. Philosophy was sort of like poetry, in that it was supposed to make ourselves look at things in new ways that we hadn't considered before.

She said that she'd never heard anyone make that comparison before. So I felt pretty proud of myself for that.

After dinner, I did my homework and then checked my Facebook and found out that I had a whole bunch of messages and people who wanted to be new friends because they'd seen my YouTube video and it was kind of overwhelming. By the time I was done talking to all of them it was getting pretty late at night and I was about to turn off my computer and go to sleep when I got inspired and took out the card that the weaponsmith had given me and sure enough I found him on Facebook (my computer is so clever) and asked him to be my friend.

I was kind of nodding off at the computer, so before I got a reply from him I told it to sleep, and then I went to bed myself.

PreviousChapters Next