• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,366 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,366

PreviousChapters Next
February 26 [bell choir]

February 26

I woke up in the middle of the night totally confused. Even before I opened my eyes I could smell that I wasn't in my room or Aric's room, and it took my tired brain a minute to figure out where I was. Then I saw the spill of blonde hair on the pillow and even without even being able to see her face, I knew it was Meghan.

She was sort of crowded into bed, since I'd fallen asleep almost in the middle of it, and she'd gotten under the covers without even waking me. I must have been tireder than I thought I was last night.

Maybe I should have gone back to my room, but instead I just got under the covers and closed my eyes again.

I woke back up at my usual time. Meghan was still rolled with her back to me, so I nuzzled her shoulder but she didn't wake up. I probably could have prodded her with my hoof, but that would have been mean.

I got out of bed and let myself out of her room as quietly as I could, then went back to my dorm room for my flight clothes. It was really a poor day for flying—there was heavy wet snow gusting around—but it was a worse day for trotting. Orange snow-trucks might spray me again if I was on the ground, but they couldn't get to me if I was in the air.

The airplane controller was reluctant to let me fly, because the visibility was so poor, but she finally relented when I promised to stay under a thousand feet, which isn't all that high at all. Airplanes can't fly that low over the city unless they have special permission, so I'd be safe from them if I stayed low.

Right away I noticed that the blinking light had a very odd effect on the snowflakes: it would look like they stopped whenever the light flashed, and then when it was off they were moving normally again. At first, I tried to tune it out, but the more I flew the more disorienting it became, and I finally had stop and take stock of my situation. I could turn it off, but I wasn't supposed to ever do that. The one time its batteries had worn out was something that I couldn't have anticipated, but pushing the button on its base would be a deliberate action that might make them take away my flight privileges if anybody saw, and I didn't want that to happen.

I tried closing my eyes whenever I thought it was about to blink, but that was nearly as confusing, and I finally had to land. I couldn't fly like this.

So I shut off the light and told the airplane director that I was back on the ground again and then I flew my normal trotting route without the light. Any airplanes that were flying that low were going to hit trees and all the wires that criss-crossed the street.

When I finally got done and landed, I felt fifty pounds heavier with all the snow caught in my coat and on my wings and in my mane and tail. I shook as much of it off as I could before I went into the dorm, but I was still melting by the time I got to the shower. The hot water fixed that right up, and it was really good at melting all the ice out of my vanes.

In climate science class we took a test, and at the end of it the professor told us that the good news was that this was the last test we'd have besides the final exam. There was some groaning at the words 'final exam;' I guess humans don't like them either.

It's funny how quickly time goes by. It was hard to believe that we were almost done with the class—only two more weeks. Already people were talking about Spring Break, and I was looking forward to it myself.

Nietzsche . . . my attention wavered in philosophy class. I felt really bad; I'd been dutifully taking notes like a good pony and the professor was talking about the Übermensch and how people should ignore those who wanted to get away from earth (which offended me just a bit) and I just got inspired and started writing a little poem about Nietzsche.

'I think therefore I am' says Descartes.
'You are not,' says Nietzsche.

'God gives us divine laws,' says Aquinas.
'God is dead,' says Nietzsche.

'This is an ideal chair,' says Plato.
'There are no ideals,' says Nietzsche.

'Everyone can agree on virtues and morals,' says Aristotle.
'Morality is the herd instinct in the individual,' says Nietzsche.

'That's not rain,' says Nietzsche.
I lean over the cloud. 'It isn't.'

Then I turned the page before anybody saw I wasn't paying attention and listened to the professor explain how the Nazis had misinterpreted Nietzsche's philosophy. All I could think was that I was really looking forward to moving on to Sartre.

Some Fridays in the dining hall they try to make something nice for dinner, and other Fridays they don't. I've discovered that you can guess which it's going to be by what's on the lunch menu. If it's the same thing that you already ate once for dinner, then they're planning something special. But if it's something new, they'll serve mostly the same thing for dinner. Today they had leftovers from yesterday's dinner, which was a bit of a letdown, but meant at least they would have something special tonight.

I apologized to Meghan for taking up so much of her bed but she said that it was okay. She asked me if I was coming to the handbell concert tonight, and I said that I was. Then we spent all of class working through two chapters of Daring Do and the Marked Thief of Marapore. I was going to say that they were reading the books out of order, but it really didn't matter. Anyway, I'd watched Star Wars out of order and was watching Star Trek out of order, so maybe humans didn't like things in order.

Dinner was maybe Mexican and maybe Tex-Mex and maybe Southwestern; everyone called it something different. But it was tacos that we could make ourselves, and choose what went into them or on them. There were two shapes of tortilla chips and taco shells and soft tortilla circles and then all sorts of different things that could be put in them or on them. Nobody at the table had the same idea; Sean had tacos full of meat and cheese while Joe made a plate of chips with all the ingredients on top of it and he called that a salad. Christine rolled up the tortillas into a round tube like a spring roll which she said was called a burrito, and Peggy just had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I just put a little bit of everything except the meat on my plate because hooves aren't very good at rolling up burritos, and the taco shells kept falling over when I tried to use them.

I liked it; it was like Taco Bell food, and that had been really good. There was a Taco Bell near the Maple Hill Mall and I was going to go there someday all on my own.

After dinner, I convinced Peggy to come to the bell concert with me, and we went over to the chapel ten minutes before it was going to start. Instead of the individual seats like the theatre has, they had long benches called 'pews,' which were a lot more friendly. We could sit right next to each other without there being a barrier in the way.

There were several long tables with brass bells on them all arranged from biggest to least, and there was nobody up there until it was time for the concert to start, then a short man with a goatee and glasses came out and announced the concert, and the bell-ringers came in.

I expected Aric to be down by the big bells, but he wasn't. He was near the small ones, and when he picked up four I understood why. His big, clever hands could hold more bells if they were small.

I told Peggy who most of the people were—I knew Aric of course, and Meghan and Becky and Lisa and Amy, and that right there was half of the choir.

They played a bunch of songs, and they switched positions now and then. There was one song where Aric was playing big bells, and another where Becky played six at once, which was amazing to see. Usually they swung the bells and dampened them on their shoulders or breasts (Aric and the other boy were at a disadvantage when it came to dampening the bells) but sometimes they hit them with mallets while they were on the table.

My favorite piece was In the Hall of the Mountain King—it just kept on getting faster and more frantic right up until the very end. Peggy liked Danse Macabre the most, which had the biggest variety of ways to play the bells.

(I've heard that there are even bigger bells in the tower but those had to be rung with a rope.)

Aric was sad that I wasn't going to spend the night with him, since I had to be up early to get to the skiing mountain with Peggy.

All of us hung out for a while at a little restaurant under the main dining hall called the Quad Stop. They offer free milkshakes for rejection letters, and there is a whole wall covered with them. It was kind of sad to see, but I guess everyone whose letter was up there had gotten a free milkshake.

Aric shared a bit of his Stewart's Ginger Beer with me, which really burned my throat and nose, and I sneezed right after I drank some. He thought that was hilarious, then he drank the rest of the bottle to show off.

It was a little late when we said our goodbyes and Peggy and I went back to our dorm room.

Before I went to bed, I copied my little poem about Nietzsche onto a new piece of paper. I thought maybe Conrad would like it.

PreviousChapters Next