• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,356 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,356

PreviousChapters Next
February 29 [Leap Day]

February 29

Today is a special day. Because the humans can't control their sun, a year takes a little bit more than an even number of days to happen, so they have to make up for it by adding an extra day every four years, or at least that's what Peggy told me.

They ought to have made it some kind of holiday. Something that only comes around once every four years is pretty special. Instead, it was just a normal Monday.

By the time I got done with my normal flight, most of the stiffness in my wing had worked out. I could still feel a bit of tightness in the muscle that even a hot shower didn't eliminate, but it wasn't too bad. More annoying than anything, especially since there was this one spot where my wing muscle sort of tugged as I extended it.

I tried nibbling at the skin a little bit but that didn't help.

I made myself a waffle for breakfast—their waffle-iron was working again—and poured a little bit of maple syrup on my plate just so I could try it. A lot of the food that they serve tastes off, and I didn't want to ruin my waffle by putting the syrup on it.

I'd made a wise choice. The syrup wasn't very good at all. It had a bit of maple taste to it, but it was too sugary. I went back and got some strawberry slices instead and that was much better.

Sean said that the maple syrup didn't taste very good because it was artificial, and I asked him if that meant it came from artificial trees. I knew that in the springtime ponies tapped little spouts in trees and put a bucket underneath, and then they did something else because the syrup in the buckets was watery and didn't taste like much.

Joe and Christine laughed, and Sean said that there weren't any trees—real or artificial—in making fake maple syrup. Just things that tasted vaguely like maple and lots of sugar.

Humans have lots of fake things. There are fake flowers in the dining hall, and there's a fake lobster that they sometimes put out when they have seafood. I wonder if the disgusting fish sandwich I had at the ski resort was made out of a fake fish?

We had another guest lecturer in climate science class. He was named Doctor Thomas Thompson, and he was in charge of the National Weather Service office in Grand Rapids. They watch the weather and make the predictions, and they give people warnings if bad weather is coming. They're not always right, either.

He told us about all the different types of data they got, and how their computer models worked, and then he said that he was about to ask if anyone had questions but there was something he had to get out of the way first.

Dr. Thompson took a coin out of his pocket and flipped it in the air, then caught it in the palm of his hand. He said that was how they made the forecasts—if it was heads, it would be warmer tomorrow; tails, and it would be colder.

That got a lot of chuckles from the class. The weather forecasters misjudge a lot; they haven't got enough observers in the sky to be completely accurate.

When class was over, he wanted to talk to me a little bit. He said that he'd heard from the professor that I'd brought down a cloud, and my ears fell and I admitted it was true. Crystal Dawn—who had been waiting around to ask him something—showed him a movie she'd taken with her telephone, and he was really interested in that. I thought he'd be mad that I'd taken one.

He gave me a card which had his name and telephone number and computer mail address on it, and said that if I was thinking of doing it again, to give him a call.

I was interested in what kinds of instruments the humans used to measure weather, and wanted to know if it would be possible to get a tour of the National Weather Service office. So we decided to do that in two weekends. He said that he'd come down and get me and we'd hope that the skies weren't clear.

The professor thought it would be fun to go, too, and he said that on Wednesday, he was going to announce it as an optional class field trip, which made me happy. Trips are always fun.

Sartre disagreed with some of Nietzsche's ideas, and he didn't like Descarte's idea of thinking as a way of proving that he existed.

Then there were two kinds of being. Being-in-itself, which was all the stuff that exists but can't think and be aware it exists. Things like rocks and trees and snow. Then there was being-for-itself which is conscious and knows it exists, like me. But he thought that being-in-itself made being-for-itself sick, and I didn't understand why that would be so. I can eat a waffle, which doesn't know it exists, and it doesn't make me sick. And I wasn't sure why he thought that the world outside the body is meaningless; if it was, why would we even want to do anything with it? Why would it have to be there?

A lot of the newer philosophers started by knocking down everything that came before them, though, so maybe after the next class it will make more sense. Perhaps he's coming in at a different angle.

I was starting to get the impression that the newest philosophers were more interested in everything that's bad, not everything that's good.

Maybe they were just so focused on the bad stuff that they didn't see the good stuff. Maybe some people were too. Maybe ponies were just happier than people.

I decided that I wasn't going to let him get me down, and I went outside and played in the snow for a while.

We didn't do anything too interesting in Equestrian class, just finished up the Daring Do book. Meghan and Lisa said that I could come over and watch a Harry Potter movie tonight if I wanted to, but I told her that tonight wouldn't be good; I was going to be over at Aric's house.

So we decided that I could watch the movie Tuesday night instead. There ought to be a class on human movies. There are so many of them that are important, and I don't have enough free time to see them all!

Then Meghan asked if I was going to see Zootopia. There had been a preview for it before the Star Wars movie that I saw in the movie theater, and it had looked like it might be interesting. I told her that I hadn't thought about it, and she said that I should see it.

When I got back to our dorm room, Peggy told me that the makers had called, and they said that they'd come up with two ideas. One was to put fasteners on hoof boots; the other was to put metal plates on the board and tie magnets to my hooves.

The magnets would be cheaper, but they weren't sure that they'd hold.

Peggy and I talked it over, and we finally decided to take both options. She could bring her tools along to change what was on the board, and I had enough money to afford it. So she called them back and told them to go ahead with both options so that we could try them out and see what worked the best.

I flew right over to Aric's house after dinner. I thought it would be nice to spend a little bit of time with him before we went to Durach, because I’d missed him all weekend.

Aric was really happy to see me, and he crouched down and hugged me right on the front porch and kissed my muzzle. He asked if we’d had fun and I said that we had and we were going to a better resort next weekend and hopefully I wouldn’t pull a wing muscle again.

He wanted to know where it was, and if I thought massaging it would help. I said it probably would, and so we went up to his room and he massaged my shoulder and then just kept on going and we both completely forgot about Durach.

PreviousChapters Next