• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
November 8 [Election Day]

November 8

I hadn't been asleep all that long before Meghan started moving against me and at first I couldn't figure out why, and then I realized that her and Aric were having sex and trying to be sneaky about it so that they didn't wake me up, and that was really cute. Especially since Meghan was still hugging me with one arm and petting my mane with the other, so I pretended that I was still asleep and probably if she'd been paying attention, she wouldn't have been fooled, but she was more focused on herself and on Aric.

And she hugged me a little bit tighter and kissed my head, and I listened to her breathing slow back down, and I flicked my tail against her leg just once and then laid still again. I was glad that they'd been able to have fun without me.

I woke up too early again, and I was really hot and pushed the covers off me as best as I could, and I sort of pushed against Meghan some just so I could move my hooves, but I was kind of careful because I knew that if I pushed against the wall too hard, I would probably push Aric out of bed.

I estimated the time as best as I could, and when I thought it was pretty close to when Meghan's alarm would start to go off, I started tickling her with my tail, 'cause I couldn't move my wing very much with her arm on top of it. And once she'd started to wake up, she loosened her grip a little bit and I was able to roll onto my belly, and my wing was stiff and numb, and it kind of hurt to stretch it out especially since I was up against the wall and couldn't open my other wing.

I got my hooves under me and hooked one over her shoulder and tried to pull her a little bit closer to the wall, but that didn't work too well until she finally woke up and then she had to get up and go to the bathroom.

When she came back, she looked at her portable telephone and said that she still had a little bit of time left to sleep, and she got back in bed and went right up against the wall and that didn't look too comfortable, so I got out of bed to give her room and she rolled on her belly, and all that movement woke Aric up enough that he rolled over onto his back, and that didn't really leave anyplace for me to be in bed except for on top of them.

And that wound up not being comfortable for anyone, and pretty soon we were all awake, and I got on top of Aric and then Meghan did, too, and that was a fun way to start the morning.

I didn't want to take a shower because I was gonna go flying and Aric said that Meghan could use his shower if she wanted to, but she saw that I was getting kind of impatient to get in the sky, so she said that she'd do it back at campus, and after she'd gotten dressed we both kissed him goodbye and he said he was going to sleep in for a couple of more hours.

The two of us walked back to campus together and I told Meghan that she'd woken me up last night and she got really embarrassed and said she didn't mean anything by it, which was a kind of funny thing to say. Maybe she thought I'd be mad, so I told her that I wasn't.

When we got to campus, I didn't go inside. Meghan helped me put on my flight gear in front of the dorm, and I took off for the Nature Center. I stayed low so that I didn't have to call the airplane directors, and when I got close, I went out over the river so I wouldn't scared the deer but they were gone. I guess they didn't know about Daylight Saving Time, either.

I landed on the path and went around it once at a trot, then when I got to the top, I cantered down the hill and around the end and then galloped along the riverside. When I got to the junction, I took off and flew around the path through the trees, and when I came out the other end, I took off and flew back to campus.

Once I was in the dorm, I stuck my head in the bathroom and there was someone in the shower, so I went back to my room to get undressed and made sure Peggy was awake, then I went back into the bathroom and waited until Ruth came out of the shower.

I had my turn, and I tried to be quick but still when I got out, Peggy was waiting for her turn.

She came back in the room and got dressed while I finished preening—a couple of primaries towards my wingtip were getting loose, but not loose enough to come out yet, I hoped. The outer ones hadn't grown all the way back in yet, and if I lost too many, it was gonna be hard to turn.

Peggy helped me put on my lab coat and then I put my saddlebags over it with my thermodynamics things and goggles and my scrunchie.

When we got to the dining hall, the wafflemaker was still working, and the omelet chef was there, too, so I had one of each again, and shared half a waffle with Peggy.

Everybody was talking about the election, because it was today. And I guess besides the President, people got to choose lots of other new representatives as well, which was kind of confusing to me. It seemed dumb to change everyone like that all at once.

Reese had some charts on his portable telephone that had been written by a man who worked with statistics, and it showed that Donald Trump didn't have a very good chance of winning—not even a thirty percent chance.

Anna said that she had already voted by mail, and she said that Chicago's motto was 'vote early, vote often.' And Peggy and Christine had, too, but Sean said that he hadn't, because he had forgotten to, and Christine hit him and called him an idiot.

And Meghan said that the college was driving people to the polls like they had for the primary, and she was going to do that. I wanted to go with Meghan to see what it was like, but she said I'd probably be bored, because it was mostly standing in line and I would have to wait outside until she was done, and it was just like the primary, anyway.

I walked across the quad to Dow, and it had started to rain just a little bit, and I wished that I had time to fly up and see if it was going to get worse.

In the lab, we got to mix solutions together and watch what they did when we changed the temperature or the pressure, and some of the solutions smelled really bad. I found out that acetone is the same smell that is in nail polish remover, and I didn't like that smell too much. And chloroform didn't smell too good, either. I wish we'd done our lab with things that smelled better. At first I'd thought that humans couldn't smell it, 'cause there were a lot of things that I smelled but none of my friends did, but then I saw Crystal Dawn wrinkling her nose when she took the stopper off her bottle of chloroform, so I guess that they could smell it, too.

And the smells stuck with me when I left class, 'cause they'd gotten on my lab coat and in my mane and tail.

I went back to my room and got out of my lab coat—it was too hot, and it made my belly itch where the buttons dug at my coat. I was kind of glad that I was only going to have to wear one more time. Then maybe Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn could keep it for the next pony who needed a lab coat.

I took out my notes and put them on the desk and then started to do the calculations for the lab. It was always kind of peaceful doing calculations, although I think if I had to do them all the time I would get bored of it. But when it was just enough that my rump didn't start to get sore or my eyes start to hurt from focusing on the paper, it was perfect.

When I got done and had checked over my work, I put the papers away with my class notes, and got out my World War One book again, and read it until lunchtime.

People had taken a little break for Christmas, but when the new year began they started fighting again, and the Germans sent airships to drop bombs on Britain, and decided that they would use their submarines to sink any allied ships around Britain.

The British tried to bombard Constantinople, but their ships got sank, and so they prepared an invasion, and the Turks decided to kill the Armenians who lived in Turkey because they thought that they were working with the Allies.

In Europe, nobody was going anywhere because they were dug into their trenches and couldn't get very far in either direction.

The Germans sunk a passenger ship, and then started using airplanes to fight, and then Italy joined the Allied forces and attacked Austria-Hungary and lost the battle. And then Germany sunk another passenger ship and America got mad so they stopped.

Both the British and Germans were also using poison gas, and Bulgaria decided to join Austria-Hungary and the two countries together conquered Serbia, and when winter finally came despite how many people had gotten killed they made plans for bigger more glorious battles in the next year.

I was relieved to put the book down and get my astronomy book and poetry book for lunch, 'cause those were happier things.

Cedric and Leon were both sad that they'd lost the game on Friday, and I said that next Friday I'd cheer so loud that they'd be sure to win. And Leon said with a pegasus to inspire them, they probably would. And we decided that we should invite Aquamarine to the game, especially because it was the last one of the year. So I said that I could, and Leon shook his head and said that it would mean more if it came from Cedric, which was true.

He said that he would like to write her a letter but it would probably arrive too late, and I said that he could write a letter and then put it in his computer and send it that way. So it would be in his writing, but get to her lots faster, and he said that I was very clever for thinking of it, and I had to admit it wasn't originally my idea.

Trevor had been looking through the book, and he'd found a couple of poems that he thought were good for today. One of them was for me, and it was called Fly Now and Pay Later, and I liked that one. I thought it was good advice to do things when you were young and could enjoy them, although Cedric said that he thought you could think of it the other way, because football players sometimes had to live with injuries and pain for the rest of their lives. And I told him that some weatherponies did, too, and some of us never got old.

And then in honor of the day, Trevor read Election Day is a Holiday, and said that Christine had gotten mad at Sean 'cause he hadn't voted. Leon said that that disrespected everyone who'd fought and died to give people the right to vote. Then Cedric asked if we had elections, and I said that in our village, when we decided that the mayor wasn't doing a good job any more we picked somepony who we thought would do better. I guess that wouldn't work for a really big city or a whole country, though, but it was okay for a small cloud town.

I was a little bit behind when I got out of the dining hall, and Anna was halfway across the quad, so I trotted along until I caught up to her, and then we walked to class together. And Professor Miller introduced the last part of our class which was cosmology, and she said that humans had no idea what the universe was made of.

She told us about spiral nebulae, which had been discovered almost a hundred years ago, and some people back then thought that maybe they were other galaxies that were very far away and it turned out that they were. But it took a while until people knew and they finally figured it out when they built better telescopes.

A man named Hubble had figured it out, and they named a constant after him and also a space telescope.

Professor Miller told us how you measured distance in space, because you couldn't just fly there and bring a measuring chain back, but since the earth moved around the sun, the stars were in slightly different positions when they were observed at different times, and so it was a fairly simple trigonometry, and called the parallax method. But that didn't work when things were so far away, because the angles were so small, so they used the candle method instead.

And that was pretty simple, 'cause you looked at something that you knew how bright it was and then just figured how much less bright the distant thing was, and they had an equation for brightness that she showed us. And it used logarithms, which was nice 'cause they were easy to use.

It was kind of confusing how it wasn't expanding into anything that humans could understand. But then she said to imagine that we were sitting on the surface of a balloon, and if it got inflated bigger, everything moved away from everything else.

So that was a lot to get my head around, but that was how humans understood the universe working.

At the end of class, Professor Miller told us that we could go to the telescope again on Thursday night, and I raised my hoof and asked if we could come late, 'cause I had cheerleading practice, and she said that we could but we'd have to get there on our own.

When we got done with class Anna said that she wished she'd brought a coat, but it hadn't been as chilly or windy when she went to lunch.

I said that it was a good wind, even though it was bringing some cold air with it. And I decided that I was gonna go flying again, not to really get anywhere but just to play around in the wind. There was a lot that you could let it do for you.

So I went back to my room and got my vest and radio and blinking light, but I left the rest of the gear off, 'cause I wasn't going to need it. And while I was there I also checked on my computer just to make sure that there wasn't a storm coming that I didn't know about.

And then I called the airplane directors and said that I was going to fly above the college mostly and asked how high I could go, and they said that I shouldn't go above a thousand feet, which was disappointing. But I guess since I was just having fun in the sky and airplanes needed to get where they were going, I couldn't complain.

I took off from the quad and I had to be a little bit careful down low, since the wind made eddies and vortexes as it went around the buildings, but once I was above it the wind was more direct and predictable.

So I flew into it and then let it carry me up and back until I'd drifted the whole length of campus, and then I dove down a little bit and got a bit of speed into the wind and then tucked my nose down and let it tumble me over, and I didn't do it right the first time and made a really sloppy recovery, because I was out of practice. But then when I tried a second time I got my timing right, and came out of my tumble with my hooves down, and I was even pointed the way I wanted to be.

On really windy days, if you set your wings just right, the wind would pick you up and you didn't have to fly at all, but it wasn't that windy today.

There were a lot of other fun rolls you could do with the wind, and I did them all, and then when I was up there someone started to fly a kite, and I danced with that for a little bit, but not too close—I didn't want to break the kite or get tangled up in its strings.

I had to rinse off before I went to dinner, and then when I got there they had decorated the dining hall with red, white, and blue decorations and the dinner was a special American meal.

When I looked at the choices, though, it looked like that just meant that they had more meat, and more fried things that I wasn't that interested in. Everyone else was, though. Sean was excited that they had bacon for dinner, and Reese had a plate of tater tots that he had drown in catsup. Christine had something that she said were chicken fingers, and I didn't know what those would have been, because chickens didn't have fingers, any more than buffalos had wings. Then the more I thought about what they had, the more I thought that it was all made-up foods, because none of them had what they said they had in them.

At least they still had the salad bar, and nothing in that had changed too much.

I relaxed in our room for a little bit and then I went to cheerleading practice. Elaine hadn't brought my uniform yet, and Sandra said that she'd gotten a telephone telegram from her, and she was in line waiting to vote, and she'd be over with it as soon as that was done.

So I didn't get to try it on until the very end of practice, because even though she showed up during our last section, none of us wanted to stop to let me put it on, since we were all working together really well. I was being tossed up in the air high enough that I could almost reach the ceiling without even flapping my wings, and I was kind of imitating the moves of the team's other fliers, but also doing a couple of twists and tumbles that only I could do.

And when we were done with practice and the team went off to the locker room, I got to try on my new uniform, and even though the fabric was stretchy it was hard to get my wings in, and I also had to have Elaine help me with the underwear, but when I was dressed it felt pretty good. It was a little bit loose in the chest, 'cause it had been made for a human girl, but it pulled in pretty tight and Elaine said that nobody would notice.

So I moved around in it and flew around the gymnasium once, just to make sure that it didn't interfere with my movement at all, and it didn't, so me and Sandra both thanked Elaine for her work and she said that she was lucky she'd asked after the play and not before.

I had to be helped back out of it, and then Sandra folded it up and put it with the rest of the team uniforms. She said that I should wear it tomorrow and Thursday to get used to the routines while I was wearing it.

I went back up the hill to our room, and Peggy was sitting on her bed, and she was doing homework but she also had her folding computer open and there were people talking about the election. Peggy said that they would get the election results as each county counted the ballots, and then they'd add them together and figure out who had won.

Trump was ahead, but she said that was to be expected, because a lot of states that were going to vote for him had had their votes counted already, and that there were some big states that the votes hadn't all been tallied in yet, like Florida and North Carolina and Michigan and Pennsylvania, and she said that things would change soon.

But she started to get worried when Florida was called for Donald Trump, and as the night went on, Clinton never caught up. I could hear people yelling and cursing in some other rooms in the dorm when states were called, and I was starting to get a little bit nervous, because I could kind of feel a sort of tension and Peggy finally slammed her computer closed, and just fell back on her bed and said that she didn't understand people sometimes.

And I was worried, too, 'cause the angry man at Walgreens had said that Mister Trump was going to build a wall to keep ponies out and so I thought that might mean that I'd have to leave and I didn't want to leave. So I told Peggy and she hugged me and she said that I was going to be safe at least, because even though it looked like he'd won, he didn't get to actually be president until January, and I'd be back in Equestria by then.

She said that she couldn't believe that people could be so stupid, and now all she had to hope for was that Trump got caught doing something that he shouldn't and got impeached. And then she sighed and said that she wondered if her parents had felt the same way when President Bush won over Al Gore.

I thought that maybe things could change because not all the states had been counted yet, but she said that it didn't matter; even if every state in the West voted for Clinton, it wouldn't be enough for her to get the victory. Then she said that tomorrow I'd be seeing a lot of really unhappy people on campus, and maybe I'd even get a chance to see a protest.

I told her that I wanted to avoid those, 'cause Cayenne had gotten arrested at one and wasn't allowed to go to political events any more, and Peggy thought that was really funny.

She said that tonight would be a good night to get really drunk, but I didn't think so, because of class tomorrow. And then she said that tomorrow we'd have to see who the first person was that said that they were going to move to Canada.

It was still noisy in the dorms, and I was having trouble sleeping, 'cause all of a sudden someone would shout and I'd stick my head up and try and figure out where it had come from, and Peggy was having trouble, too, and she said that she could sit with me until I fell asleep, and I think that she just wanted to not be alone, so I turned back the covers and she sat with her back against the wall and my head on her lap until I convinced her to lie down and be comfortable, and I nuzzled her cheek and then put my wing over her and she put her head against mine and the two of us fell asleep together.

Author's Note:

I was unable to find either of these Ogden Nash poems online.

PreviousChapters Next