• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
April 19 [The Ballad of Reading Gaol]

April 19

When I woke up Aric wasn't quite awake yet so I went under the covers and by the time I was done he was awake.

While he was getting his energy back, I asked him about his trip and he said that it had taken longer than he'd planned because on the way down David gave him bad directions around Columbus and then he had gotten stuck in road construction near Charleston and then on the way back they had gotten off to a late start and then the radiator had started leaking and he'd limped it along until they got to Lima because there was a store there that had a new radiator but it was too late at night for the store to be open so they had to spend the night at the hotel and get it in the morning and then fix it before they could go back on the road again.

He said that it was all his fault; he knew that the radiator was not in very good shape but he hadn't anticipated that it was going to fail or else he would have fixed it before they left.

It sounded like the kind of adventure that is fun to talk about after it happened, but not so fun when it's happening. Lots of sailorponies told stories like that and sometimes it was hard to know what parts were true and what they were making up.

I kissed him and told him how glad I was that he was back, and then I teased him with my tail a little bit until I let him pin me on my back and get on top.

When we were done I got in my flight gear while he got dressed and he said that since it was a nice day wouldn't it be funny if I took off from his room and I thought that would be pretty funny, and it was something I'd wanted to do from our dorm room but there was a screen and I wasn't supposed to anyway.

He held the window open for me and then helped boost me up on the windowsill which I think was an excuse to get his hand under my tail one more time before I left, and then I pitched out and opened my wings really fast.

It turns out that flying out of a window isn't as easy as I thought it would be. If the window had been wider and taller it would have been a lot easier.

There were some low fluffy clouds and I circled several before finding just the perfect cloud to play with. I went around the edges of it and knocked some of the weird bits off and then set to work shaping it into a cloud-pony. It took a special kind of skill to get clouds just right and I hadn't ever been all that good at it, but by the time I was done it was a passable pony, and it would probably keep its shape for a little bit. At the rate it was drifting, I thought it would still be recognizable until it was out of Kalamazoo, and there was something satisfying about the thought of hundreds of people looking up and seeing my hoofwork.

At lunch, I sat with Trevor and Cedric and Leon and told them about the cloud I'd shaped and Trevor asked if we did that in Equestria and I told him that we did sometimes. Leon said that that was messed up, that clouds were supposed to be fluffy things that floated through the air and people guessed what they looked like. Cedric said that he was jealous that he'd never had a cloud shaped after him and I said that I wasn't much of an artist but I could try.

Leon shook his head and said that clouds weren't black enough; that that was just another example of the man putting them down. Cedric said that Leon didn't know anything about being put down by the man, unless he meant the time that he got kicked out of Rugby Grille in Birmingham for not wearing a suit.

I wasn't sure who the man was. Cedric said that it was anyone who exercised authority over you that you didn't like, and I asked him if that meant that the FAA was the man because they made me ask for permission to fly and there were places I couldn't go even if I wanted to. Leon said that I was being put down by the man. He said that we both knew the struggle, and he put out his fist so that I could bump it with my hoof.

Cedric just shook his head and said that we were both idiots, and Leon said that that might be so, but he'd rather be handsome than smart. I said I was pretty and smart and Cedric nearly choked on his drink.

Conrad told us that we were going to go back to England with our next poet and that we were going to spend the whole day on a long poem. It was called The Ballad of Reading Gaol, and it was about the time that Oscar Wilde spent in prison for loving another man.

I didn't like it.

The very thought of being imprisoned frightened me and it sounded like a terrible terrible place and yet the words were so compelling that I couldn't help but listen. And when it got around to my turn to read my voice wasn't much more than a whisper because I could see the terrible place in my mind.

We discussed the poem after but there wasn't anything that I thought I needed to say; the poem had said it all. Even the classroom walls felt confining and for the first time ever I was happy when the class ended and I could go.

I didn't want to wait to go back to my room and get my radio or my jacket or my blinking light; I needed to be free so as soon as I set hoof on the sidewalk outside the building I took off and let the sky embrace me and I flew until was high enough that I couldn't see the people on the ground any more and then I found a little cloud and I sat on top of it and tried to think of nothing but the spread of land below me and the unreachable top of the sky above me.

Peggy had told me that some people might not like it if they knew I was having sex with Aric, but the thought that they might not like it so much that they would put me in a jail had never occurred to me because that just wasn't right. Nobody could be that cruel, could they? But Conrad had said that it had happened and he wouldn't be making that up.

Suddenly I felt very alone.

In the sky I was free, but none of my friends were there—none of them could go there. So I abandoned my cloud-perch and glided back down to the ground and I went back to my room and Peggy was sitting at her desk listening to music on her headphones and even though it was kind of rude of me I just stood up and hugged her.

She took off her headphones and set them on her desk and asked if she needed to rip anyone's dick off. I said it was probably too late for that—Oscar Wilde had written the poem over a hundred years ago—but she had gotten me to smile, and I told her about the poem and how much it bothered me.

Peggy hugged me and said that things were different now than they had been back then. She said that there was still a long ways to go, though, but in America at least what happened to Oscar Wilde couldn't happen any more.

That sounded to me like she was holding back so I asked her if there were still gallows and if people were still hanged and she said that she didn't think that hanging was done any more, which was reassuring.

But I got the sense that she was still not saying everything and I was about to ask her what she wasn't telling me when she reached out and ran her finger over the dreamcatcher I had made and said that she really liked it. So I told her how I'd gotten the idea from a store in Chicago and Rebekka had helped me make it and I was going to make them for all my friends with the feathers I was shedding.

She thought that was a very good idea and so after dinner when she was done with her math homework and I had checked it over for mistakes she helped me finish my second dreamcatcher, and I'd meant for it to be for Aric but when it was all done I knew in my heart that it ought to go to Meghan.

PreviousChapters Next