• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,356 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,356

PreviousChapters Next
May 4 [Force Day]

May 4

Not too long after I took to the sky, it started raining, and not a drizzle, but a good genuine soaking rain that farmponies love. I loved it, too; it's a lot of fun to fly in the rain although you have to be careful because it muffles sounds and smells and of course you lose vision, too. And I could stay out in it longer because it washed off all the sweat and so I didn't have to take a shower at all when I was done with my flight, which was a real time-saver. My mane and tail were wet and droopy but even if I'd taken a shower and combed them out they would have looked the same again by the time I got to class, so why bother?

The talk at the breakfast table today was that Ted Cruz had dropped out of the presidential race, leaving only John Kasich who didn't have very many votes and wasn't too popular with anyone. Meanwhile both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton were still competing, and there was some debate at the table which one would win.

I thought it would make sense if all of them competed together; what was the point of having one set of elections to pick two semi-finalists and then another to pick the winner? It would be a lot easier if people could just choose from all the candidates. But I guess that's not the way it works; there are only two parties and when there is a third people get confused.

Before anyone could talk too much about politics, Christine held up her hand and said that what was more important was that today was Force Day, named in honor of Star Wars. Then she reached out and touched everyone's forehead and said 'may the force be with you' when she did.

I didn't feel any different after but that was okay; it was still nice of her.

Professor Sir Doctor Banerjee told us about the phase portrait which is the picture of the orbit in general on the plane. And he said that no matter what, it would make a particular shape, which was a definite structure. Then he explained the bifurcation diagram, which was where you started to plot specific points on the plane to see what that did to system behavior. And after he explained all of it, he brought up a map which showed us easily how the system behaved with a period one orbit for a while, then it had two, then four, then eight, then it got pretty chaotic after that.

This was important because it easily showed us the points where things started to get unstable, and he explained that most likely if we could figure out why it went from one to two, it would be the same reason it went from two to four, and so on. Then he wrote a fourth-order equation on the markerboard and told us to solve it.

That was difficult but a lot of fun. We'd already solved two equations for the period one orbit, and after he hinted that they were roots of the period two equation, it wasn't that hard to solve. Since Sean was struggling, I helped him out in exchange for him writing down all the symbols which I wasn't very good at.

Once we'd all had a chance to figure that out, he showed us several of the different graphs layered on top of each other, and then what we'd been calculating all made sense. We could see how the period kept doubling over time, and when he made the layered graphs again we could see how the original points were still on the line, along with more new ones.

I think that one of the most interesting things about the math class was how many ways there were to explain things that were really too complicated to easily understand, and then put them all together for a pretty good approximation of what was happening.

They had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and Christine said that they would be really nice if they'd made them right but they were too soggy and greasy. Sean dipped his in tomato soup and said that if you ate it that way it was really good.

She said if it was meant to be eaten that way than they would have grilled cheese soup, and he held his hand over her mouth and told her not to say that where they could hear. Then he said if there was grilled cheese soup on the menu for dinner he was going to make her drink a whole bowl of it.

Christine told him that they wouldn't think of that, and he just crossed his arms and glared at her.

Professor Amy told us about personality development. She started off by saying that there were some genetic aspects to it; that people could be born with traits that didn't fit well in their current social setting. That was a lot of words to say that pegasuses weren't happy when they had a groundpony foal. I suppose the same was true with unicorns having anything but another unicorn. I'd heard the earth pony parents didn't mind having unicorn or pegasus foals, though, because they could also be useful on a farm or on a ship.

There was a pegasus who lived in town who did all the thatching work and lived in a ground-house and she liked it. She didn't like flying much higher than roofs, which was weird. I think she just wasn't used to it. But she was really strong from lifting bundles of thatches and sometimes her helper when they had a big job like the roof of the pub.

Professor Amy said that what mattered the most after that was how the child was raised; what the social expectations of the parents and community were, and how the child learned what to adopt. Then she said besides the potential problems with genetic traits, there was a theory that there were three different types of personality: tradition-oriented, inner-directed, and outer-directed. But when she described each different type I thought that each one could apply to me, and when she was done a whole bunch of hands went up and before anyone could speak she said that there were problems with this theory and would anybody who felt that they had more than one of those traits put their hands back down.

Well that was pretty much everyone and she went on to explain that most people exhibited all those traits in their day-to-day life but that it was still useful to know because often in societies there was one type of personality which was the most dominant but that people were a lot more complicated than just sets of labels.

The clock said it was almost time for us to go and I thought it was strange that she hadn't given us anything more than a broad overview because she often told us specific things. Then she said that our assignment was to determine which personality trait was most common in our hometown and why.

I spent the rest of the afternoon outside playing in the rain and splashing around in puddles and I even nibbled at some of the grass that was under the deeper puddles because it tasted the best then, and it was easy to pull it loose and get some of the roots, too. Not too much, though, because it was rude to leave bare patches.

Then I had to take a shower because I'd gotten my legs all muddy.

There wasn't any grilled cheese sandwich soup for dinner; instead it was their normal stuff. I had all warm food because I'd already eaten my greens outside and it was nice to have warm food on a rainy day.

I spent most of the evening working on my homework. I started with Anthropology, where I decided that the pegasuses in my town had mostly inner-directed personalities because we all knew what was right and what was wrong, but second to that was definitely tradition-oriented and I almost made that first. What changed my mind was thinking about how we were a little too practical to stick to tradition when something newer and better came along. A lot of the older ponies were skeptical of it, and maybe that was good; there wasn't any sense in galloping along towards every new idea there was. But if it worked better than the old way then they'd pick up on it, like with reading. Some of the older mares on the weather team complained that in their day they didn't need to know how to read to do their jobs, but nopony griped that all the younger mares knew how and there was one mare on the afternoon shift who had been taught how by her daughters and she was really proud of it and now she liked to read everything she could get her hooves on.

When that was done I decided to see if I could solve the eighth-order equation that would come next, which was really tricky because first I had to figure out how to write it. But since he had given us the others and I'd written them down, I got what looked right to me, and just to verify I used the points we'd already calculated and they worked out so I thought it was probably correct.

Peggy looked over my shoulder and asked if I was learning Greek, and I explained that I was solving the equation for fun and she said that between reading the Bible and solving long math equations I had a really odd idea of fun sometimes.

I was pretty proud of what I'd come up with, even if it did fill a couple pages of my notebook. And I kept on working on it while Peggy was doing her math, but I finished before her. I hoped I had done it right: I was going to have to get to class before everyone else and show Professor Sir Doctor Banerjee.

While I waited for Peggy to finish, I went back to listing off things that I wanted to do, and I was so engrossed that I didn't notice when Peggy came across the room and asked me what I was doing. So I told her, and she laughed and said that I had now acclimatized to Earth so much I was writing a bucket list.

I didn't know what that was, and she told me that was the name for things I wanted to do before I kicked the bucket, which was a human way of saying dying. I said that the list would be a lot longer if I included everything I wanted to do in my life.

She said I was going to be a busy pony and said I didn't mind, and she said that she was free Saturday afternoon if I wanted to go Go-Kart racing and get that off my list.

I told her I was going to see if Aric wanted to go, and she said that the more of us who came the more fun it would be, and then she petted my mane.

After I got done helping her with her math, I flew off to Aric's house, shook myself dry on his porch, and then went upstairs to his bedroom. I probably could have read more of Mark Twain—the book was still where I'd left it—but I was kind of tired, and I thought that maybe if I went to bed a bit earlier I'd wake up when he came home.

PreviousChapters Next