• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
March 13 [Daylight Saving Time]

March 13

Today was a special day, although I didn't know it when the day began.

When Aric and I finally got out of bed, he went around and started changing all the clocks in the house. I asked him why he was doing it, and he said that today was the first day of Daylight Saving Time, then explained to me how in the springtime, every clock was set forward an hour, and then in the fall they'd be set back.

I wanted to know why, and he said that he wasn't sure. He said that it was kind of stupid, since you had to get up an hour earlier, although in the fall it was nice because you got to sleep an hour later. He thought that it had been started during the war, and then they'd just kept on doing it, although there were some places in America that didn't, which made things even more confusing.

I couldn't see it being an idea ponies would go for, especially if the only benefit was that you got to get up an hour earlier, and I couldn't imagine why people did it. Everyone I knew liked to sleep late except when there was something really fun happening, like snowboarding at Boyne Mountain.

Aric said that sometimes tradition trumped practicality. When people have done something one way for a long time they don't like to change even if the new way is better. I guess that’s true; a lot of ponies are that way too.

We walked down the street for a late breakfast together at Nina's, and then went back to the house. He didn't want me to leave and I didn't want to either, but I had to study and work on my essay. So we came up with a compromise where he drove me back to campus and I got all my notes and then we took them back to his house.

He promised not to be too much of a distraction, and he said that he had assignments he had to work on, too, so he sat on his bed and did stuff on his laptop while I sat at his desk and started writing my essay for philosophy class.

I'd decided to write about Kant. He was kind of the dividing line between philosophers that I agreed with and ones I did not and maybe if I examined his work a little more deeply, I'd see why the newer philosophers had gone wrong.

It was nice to study together with Aric, and it was really fun to take the occasional study break. After the first, he just put his shirt back on so that he wouldn't be cold, and covered the lower half of his body with his blankets.

By dinnertime, I'd gotten most of the essay done, and Aric and I had gone over my climate science notes one more time. I was feeling pretty good about the upcoming exams.

He gave me a ride back to campus, and we carried my stuff back up to my room. Then he said that since he was here, he might as well go to dinner with me.

He had to move Winston—it wasn't allowed to be in the parking lot because he didn't have a proper parking permit for it. He said that only students who lived in the dorm could use the dorm parking lots, and that there was a lottery on those spaces because there weren't enough of them.

There was a spot open behind the dining hall where he could park, and we went in the back way.

We ate in the dark room with all his Durak friends. They were a bit surprised to see him, since he didn't eat at the dining hall all that often because it was kind of expensive if you didn't have a meal plan like everyone else there did.

Everyone chatted for a while after dinner was over, then people started trickling off to do more studying.

He thought it would be a good night to walk around town for a little bit, and I thought that would be interesting as well. I'd flown over it plenty of times, but I'd never walked through it.

I did cringe a little bit as we walked past Walgreens, but Aric was with me so I knew it would be okay.

Even though we could go whichever way we wanted to, he followed the traffic directions. We went to where the two one-way streets came together, and stopped at a little tiny coffee store called the Water Street Coffee Joint, which is where David’s girlfriend Angela works. She was there, and we chatted a little bit and Aric bought himself a coffee and asked me if I wanted one, but I thought if I had one it would keep me up all night.

When we walked back outside, he pointed down to a round metal lid and told me that he knew what was under that. He said that those were the storm drains, David had decided that they ought to explore them, so one night they'd gone in there. He told me that if I was interested, maybe we could do it later in the year, when the snow had melted—it was too dangerous to go there now, because we could be trapped underground.

I wasn't sure I'd want to go. The thought of being underground was kind of scary. But he insisted on at least taking me and showing me where the entrance was, so we walked a little bit further, past the big sign that welcomed people to Kalamazoo, and crossed the street by a gas station, then went through a dirt parking lot.

He used his telephone as a flashlight so we could get down a little embankment, and then pointed to a big concrete arch and said that was it. A small trickle of water was coming out of it and going into the river.

I didn't like it; it looked like the kind of place a monster might live. It also smelled stagnant, like a swamp or bog.

We'd just gotten back to the top of the embankment when a bell started clanging. A moment later, I heard a train horn that made me practically jump out of my coat, and a spotlight swept across us.

He put his hand on my back to reassure me, and we watched as a train rumbled across the bridge just north of us, crashing and banging as it went.

I hoped that all trains weren’t that loud. The one I’d followed in the air hadn’t been, but maybe I wasn’t close enough to hear it that well. Maybe it was that loud up close.

When we finally got back to campus, I walked with him to Winston and gave him a kiss, and then he drove off for his home. As much as I wanted to spend the night with him, I’d have to be up early for final exams . . . even earlier than I’d thought, because of Daylight Saving Time.

PreviousChapters Next