• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,358 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,358

PreviousChapters Next
February 14 [Valentine's Day]

February 14

It was nice to wake up in a room full of my friends. Aric was stretched out on my right side, being a comfortable wall, while Sara was on my left. I'd somehow slid off the pillow Aric and I were sharing and wound up in the cleft between the two, which wasn't doing my neck any favors, but that was all right. Aric's hand was on my shoulder, while Sara's arm was wrapped around my barrel. There was no way I could move without waking both of them up, and that thought comforted me.

I would have guessed the night before that I'd be the first to wake up, but that clearly wasn't the case. I could hear the shower running, which told me that someone else was an early riser. From my position on the bed, I couldn't tell who it was, and I didn't feel like straining my neck any more than it already was to find out, so I just closed my eyes again and pressed my muzzle against Aric's chest.

I didn't really fall back asleep again, but I sort of drifted in and out. I heard the bathroom door open and felt the cloud of hot air and steam drift out and mingle with the stale sleep-air of the hotel room, and then I heard the low voices of Kathleen and John-Jacob as they came out of the bathroom together and wove around our sleeping friends to find their open spot.

That was enough to start waking everyone else in the room. Aric yawned and looked down at me with sleepy eyes, and Sara shifted against me in a final rebellion against waking, but it was too late. Pretty soon the room was full of the sounds of people yawning and stretching.

One of the things that's annoying about a group in a room like this is that there's only one bathroom, and aside from Kathleen and John-Jacob, no one was inclined to share. At least our bathroom in the dorm has several toilets, although only the one shower. So there was a bit of discussion over who was going to bathe and use the toilet and when, but that all got settled pretty quickly at least.

All of us girls had to have help getting dressed, which I thought was a bit unfair, but Aric mentioned that he couldn't put on all of his armor by himself, either. Human hands make short work of most clothing, even with the little tiny fasteners that humans like to put on their clothes.

Kathleen said, as John-Jacob was lacing up her bodice, that back in the Middle Ages, most women that wore clothes like this would have servants to help them get dressed. She chuckled and said that we'd probably never had that problem, and I told her that in fact almost all the clothes I'd ever worn had required another pony to help me get dressed.

She was curious about what kind of clothes we wore, and why, so I told her about the special flight suits we sometimes wore, and of course the barding that the Guard wore, and on top of that there were formal dresses for balls and galas and so on and I had the one that I'd brought.

So John-Jacob asked if I was planning to go to any of the school dances, and I told him that I hadn't known that there were any. He said that there were, but he didn't know when, on account of having graduated the year before. It was something to look forward to!

Once everyone was dressed, we went down to a common room in the hotel where they had breakfast. It wasn't much—Sara said it was called a Continental Breakfast, which consisted of bagels, sorry-looking half-squished muffins in a plastic wrapper, and packets of oatmeal. There was also a big urn of overbrewed coffee and little cheesecloth sacks of tea.

It was the worst breakfast I've ever had, and if it had been later in the year I would have just gone outside to graze. But, I suppose it was better than nothing.

When we were done eating, we piled back into our cars, and drove back to the fairgrounds.

Aric said that today there wasn't any heavy weapons fighting so that we could do whatever we wanted to. He said that there was going to be a fencing tournament, and that Sara was one of the fighters, and I thought that would be fun to see.

It wasn't starting right away, so we wandered around for a little bit. Just like yesterday, a lot of people came over to talk to me and there was one little girl who said she really wanted to ride the horsey. Her mom kept telling her no and was holding her back by the collar of her dress, and I finally said that she could if she wanted to. She was pretty small so I didn't think that she weighed all that much.

I had to give my glaive to Aric—there wasn't any point in risking her getting injured on it—and the mother asked if I was sure it was okay, and I said that it was, so she picked up her daughter and gently set her on my back, being careful of my wings and my costume.

The girl immediately grabbed onto my mane and told me to 'geddyup.' Then she kicked me in the barrel! I had to restrain myself from just bucking her off—I'd actually dropped my rump before I realized what I was doing.

She kicked me again and leaned forward, and I guessed that meant she wanted to go forward, so I gritted my teeth and started walking. I was totally off-balance; she wasn't all that heavy, but there was a giant weight on my back that was randomly moving and I kept feeling like I was going to fall over.

Her mother hovered next to me, arms ready to grab the child, while Aric just started laughing so hard that he almost fell over. He had to bend down and rest his arms on his knees.

Well, we got things worked out after I'd gone a little way down the hallway, and the girl on my back was getting pretty enthusiastic about how she was riding a pony. I kinda got more into it, even though she kept squeezing her legs against my side, as if that would motivate me.

Naturally, all the noise attracted a bit of a crowd, and I was a bit embarrassed, but everyone else seemed to be having a good time, so I just went with it. Aric had gotten over his fit of laughter and took out his phone and started taking a movie of me, which motivated me to look really good, so I started to really lift up my hooves like the fancy unicorns in Canterlot do, and high-stepped back down the hallway, with the girl on my back shouting gleefully the whole time.

When we got back where we'd started her mom took her off my back and gave me a big hug and then she asked Aric if he could send her the movie.

After they exchanged their computer mail addresses, we went back to the hall where all the fencers had been setting up. Keith asked where we'd been, and I said that I'd been giving a little girl a ponyback ride.

Nobody believed that until Aric showed them the movie, and they thought that it was hilarious. Donald said that Aric ought to put the movie on YouTube if I didn't mind, and I said that would be okay.

The fencing was totally different from the heavy weapons fighting. There were just two opponents at a time, and their movement was a lot more restricted. They wore thick mesh helmets and had their bodies covered in a fabric armor, so it was a little hard to tell who was who. Luckily, I could see Sara's hair sticking out below her helmet—and it turned out she was the shortest one to compete as well.

The fights were more like a ballet, I thought. Sometimes the two opponents would taunt each other—one man wore a sock-puppet on one hand and used it to taunt his opponent (that wasn't a very good strategy; he lost). Sara used her short height to her advantage: she had a little shield which Keith said was called a buckler, and she ducked under her opponent's blade, blocking it with her buckler, and then went straight in for his chest.

She advanced through four rounds before she was finally beaten by a man who faked an attack, and when she went to block it, he came around even lower than she had crouched, and she pretty much ran into his sword.

She was in pretty good spirits about the whole thing, though. Aric told me that he'd taken some fencing classes with her, and that she was pretty hard to beat (he never had) but that she used her favorite opening move a little too much and probably the man who had beaten her had expected it. And he also said that she was the only person who had ever broken a sword on him.

Everyone found a spot in the main hall—where the market had been—to sit down for lunch, and we passed around more of the bread and cheese and what was left of the summer sausage. Keith got out his cards and we played a round of Durak while we were eating, and that was a lot of fun. I could kind of forget that we were in a boring modern building and imagine that this was how people had acted a few hundred years ago.

Kathleen said that there was a workshop on making clothes that she wanted to attend, and I thought that would be interesting. I didn't think I was going to make my own clothes, but I was curious about how it was done, so I told her that I'd come along, and John-Jacob said he would as well. Aric wasn't interested at all, but he told me that I could go if I wanted to, and he'd just find something else to do.

That kind of bugged me, but I chalked it up to drowsiness (nobody got a lot of sleep last night) and went off to the class.

The lady in the front of class really covered what I thought were probably the very basics at first—but a lot of classes do that. She explained where to get patterns and where to find appropriate fabrics, and then moved on to more advanced stuff, like how to modify patterns and what sorts of historical books would have pictures of period clothes in them. She said that we were lucky to live in Kalamazoo since Western Michigan University had a very good Medieval Studies department, with lots of books and experts.

When that was over, we went back into the main hall. Aric had found a spot at a table and was playing a game he called The Viking Game with Malcolm. Aric said that one side was supposed to protect their king and let him escape, while the other side was supposed to capture him. I watched the game until it was over—Aric won (he said that he usually did). I wanted to play, but it was Donald's turn first and even though he said that I could go, it would be rude to cut in line.

I watched intently, so that I might get an idea what the strategy was. The king's side had only half as many pieces, so it seemed at first like that might be a big disadvantage, but it wasn't really. Once Aric got some of Donald's pieces captured, he moved the king out of the center of the board and rather quickly made his escape to a corner square.

Then it was my turn, and I hoped I could put on a better showing. Aric explained all the rules to me, and we began.

I knew that once he got the king free, the game would be over, so I concentrated on pinning him towards the center of the board. Donald had tried to protect the corners, but that hadn't worked out very well for him.

I didn't win, but I did better than either of the other two had. I got Aric down to only four pieces plus his king when he finally made his run for the corner, and if I'd managed to have had one more piece on the left corner, I think I would have beaten him, but he caught me out when he ran to one corner and then switched directions when I responded.

Then we changed sides, and I won easily. I got my king out before Aric even had time to set up a good defense, letting him capture a couple of my soldiers to open up a path for me. He didn't see it coming, and by the time I was halfway down the board, there was no way he could win. I had open lanes to all four corners.

Kathleen said that we were all going to go to Denny's for dinner because it was a tradition. Aric said that Denny's was a great restaurant because it was open all the time, and because you could get breakfast whenever you wanted to.

We were quite a spectacle when we came in. The hostess didn't know what to make of us: nine people and one pony all dressed up in medieval clothes. When she saw me, she went back to talk to someone else before seating us and finally a man in a suit with a gold badge came over and looked at me than looked at Aric and then back at me.

He said that animals weren't allowed in the restaurant. I don't know what came over me, but I stomped my hoof on the ground and flared out my wings and told him that I wasn't an animal, I was Silver Glow, of the second ile of Commander Hurricane's hipparchy. It had impressed the girl at Val Day, so maybe it would impress him, too.

He got a really funny look on his face then. He looked around at all of us and kind of slumped down and then said that he supposed it would be okay if I ate at the restaurant, as long as I was housebroken.

I didn't know if I was, but Aric said that I was, and that was good enough for him. He took a pile of menus and led us off to some tables in the back, well out of the way of the other customers.

All through dinner, he kept an eye on us. I think he thought we were some kind of troublemakers. Our waitress liked us, though; she kept saying how cute I was and she wanted to know if I was the same pony she'd seen in a YouTube video playing in the snow. I said that I was, and she said that I was simply the most adorable thing she'd ever seen and asked if I would give her my autograph.

I couldn't say no, so I signed her little notebook for her and she gave me a big bosomy hug, and all in all it was a great dinner.

I really would have liked to spend the night with Aric, but I had some homework I still had to do, so I had him drop me off at my dorm. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he kissed my forehead and told me that it had been a fun weekend, and I agreed. He asked if I'd be playing Durach tomorrow, and I said that I would, and if he didn't mind I could stay over after; he said that would be nice. Then he drove off and I went back up to my dorm room.

It was only when I was halfway up the stairs that I realized I might have some trouble getting undressed by myself.

Luckily, Peggy was back, and once she was done telling me how awesome my costume looked, she helped me take it off. We caught up on how our weekends had been—I told her about the girl I had given a ride and the waitress at Denny's and the weaponsmith who had sold me the glaive, and she told me about the fancy restaurant her boyfriend had taken her to and how they'd spent almost the whole rest of the weekend in the hotel room, and that it had been fun and really sexy to have the curtains open and look over downtown Kalamazoo and nobody outside could see them or guess what they were up to.

I said that I hadn't gotten that lucky over the weekend, and Peggy hugged me and said that was okay, it would probably take Aric some time to get used to the idea, and maybe we ought to talk and figure out what each of us wanted out of the relationship. That was pretty good advice.

Then I sat down and finished all my homework and wrote in my journal. It was pretty late by the time I was finished, and I knew I was going to be tired in the morning.

PreviousChapters Next