• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
March 5 [Boyne Mountain]

March 5

I kind of didn't want to get up because the bed was so comfortable and big. It was like having a cloud all to myself. But I couldn't spend all day in bed, so I got up and pulled the window shades open.

The sky was just starting to get light, but all the downhill runs I could see were brightly lit so that you could use the hill at night and not crash into anybody or anything. It was probably light enough that they could have been turned off, although I'd noticed from my morning flights around Kalamazoo that it had to get pretty bright before they'd get turned off, and sometimes during the day if there was a storm they'd be turned on.

The bathroom was much nicer than any of the ones at college. There were fluffy white towels for us, and little bars of soap and bottles of shampoo and conditioner. It wasn't really enough for me, but it was a nice thought.

I wanted to stay quiet and not wake up Peggy too early—not before the sun rose, anyway—so I explored around the room and found that there was a Bible in the bedstand, so I started reading Numbers, since I hadn't been doing a very good job of reading it.

Everybody started getting ready for a trip to the promised land, which is probably where the Garden of Eden is. Moses took a census, which is where people are counted, and then they started talking about the rules for their trip and getting ready for it. When they finally got into the desert, God gave them manna to eat, but they got tired of eating it every day and wanted some meat. He was mad that He was doing everything for them, so he gave them so much meat that they got tired of it, and then He sent down a plague as well.

Before I could find out what happened after that, Peggy woke up. Her telephone can play her a song to wake up with. It starts off quiet and then gets a bit louder—my ears turned as soon as it started, and I was looking her way when she reached out and fumbled for her telephone, then knocked it off the table by mistake. I didn't mind so much; it was playing Renegades and I like that song.

She got all the way awake while she was finding it, and she sat up in bed and stretched out then grabbed some clean underwear out of her bag and went into the bathroom.

Peggy came out of the bathroom in just her clean underwear. Instead of the lacy bras she normally likes to wear, she had a big black one that squished down her boobs which she said was called a sports bra. It didn't look comfortable to me, but she said it was important to keep them under control while she was snowboarding.

She put on the rest of her clothes and then we went to get some breakfast. The restaurant at the resort was a lot nicer than the one at Bittersweet had been.

We'd decided to try the magnets first and see how they worked on actual snow. Peggy fastened my boots (which were labeled inside so that I'd know which one went on which hoof) then she put on her snowpants and jacket and got our snowboards and my helmet and then we headed to the slopes.

All the slopes had names, and the chairlifts did as well. Humans like to name everything. If we did that with clouds, we'd be so busy naming them none of them would ever make it into the sky.

Since we weren't sure how things were going to work out with my snowboard, we started off on something that was pretty easy, but kind of long. It was called Hilda's Hideaway, and it curved down the side of the hill so it was never too steep. Peggy said that there probably wouldn't be all that many people there yet, and she was right: the chairlift was virtually abandoned.

When we got to the top and got off the lift, it took me a little bit to set my hooves right. There were little alignment notches in the metal plates to make sure that I got in the right place on the board—and the makers had fiddled with the placement a bit before I was happy with their location. My hooves kept sticking in the wrong place, and it was tricky to pull them loose again. The magnet would hold on and then suddenly let go. It was like walking in thick muck.

But I got it figured out, and then we slowly started down the hill, with Peggy at my side. She let me set the course. I went pretty much straight down for this first attempt, just to make sure that everything stayed where it ought to.

It was easier for her to take off her snowboard and go over to the chairlift without it, but I had trouble getting mine off, and then it occurred to me that I could just fly with it on. It was really weird; I never thought about how much I move my legs when I'm flying, but I was really aware of it when the snowboard was attached, since it held my legs in a somewhat immobile position.

We made a dozen more trips down the hill before I had pretty good confidence in the snowboard. Peggy did a lot of work with her legs, which didn't work out as well for me—I used my wings to help navigate it. The big difference was that she was crosswise to the board, while I was facing along it.

I thought it was time for something a bit more challenging, and Peggy did too, so we took some of the side paths that went off the main course. Some of them were shortcuts along the inside of the arc, and others took us to a different trail. Peggy took the lead and I followed her, doing my best to mimic what she was doing with her board.

As the day went on, it started to get more and more crowded. Each time we got to the top of the hill, I could see that there were more cars in the parking lot, and there started to be lines for the chair lifts. I could have flown back up to the top of the hill on my own, but it wouldn't have been nice to leave Peggy behind like that.

My tummy was growling by the time we finally came in for lunch. The whole lodge was packed with strangers, so I stayed close to Peggy.

A lot of them—especially children—came over and wanted to talk to me, so it took a long time to get our lunch. While we were eating, we were mostly left alone, but there was one little boy in a blue snowsuit that was almost the same color as my coat came over and started petting me before his mother could grab him and pull him away.

Before we went back outside, Peggy put a new memory card and a new battery in the GoPro, and while she was doing that we looked over the trail map (which was probably more for my benefit than hers) and decided that we'd try Mister Moll, and when I was confident with that, we'd take the Black Diamond Rush cutoff.

There were also little areas called terrain parks where we could do tricks. I wanted to try them, but Peggy said that that would be for tomorrow; today it was more important to make sure I had all the basics down so I wouldn't get hurt. I knew she was right, but it's frustrating sometimes to want to do something and have to wait until you have more experience.

But she was looking out for me, and that was important.

We'd talk on the lift about techniques and she'd tell me about other places she'd snowboarded. It was kind of a weird conversation, because we'd have part of it then reach the top of the lift and focus on snowboarding down, and then pick up where we left off when we were in line for another ride to the top of the hill.

I learned that there were a lot of good places to snowboard near Colorado Springs, which is her home when she's not in college. She said that one of her favorites was Monarch Mountain, and the most fun trail on it was called Mirkwood Bowl, which started right at the continental divide and went down the mountain from there.

She said that was also where she'd broken her wrist in a nasty fall, and she'd had to sit out the rest of the season while it was healing, which had been really frustrating, and that was why she wore wrist-guards now.

We ate a kind of late dinner, and then after that, we went back to the trails until the hill closed for the night. I was really sore—but in a good way—and my coat and tail were loaded with snow. Some of my mane had escaped the same fate because of the GoPro helmet, but along my neck it was stiff with ice.

It was uncomfortable walking back to our room in my boots, but I didn't want to let Peggy take them off because that would be more stuff she had to carry.

As soon as we got into the room, I turned on the faucet to the mini-hot tub. I planned to soak in it until all my muscles relaxed.

She said that sounded like a good idea, so she helped me take my hoof boots and helmet off, and then she used the coffee maker to make hot water while I carried the gear over to the desk.

I wasn't sure what she wanted the hot water for; the tub had plenty of it coming out of the faucet, but she said that it wasn't a good idea to drink hot water right out of the faucet. She didn't know why, but her grandmother had told her that.

She had little envelopes full of powder that turned into hot chocolate, and she added a bunch of Kahlua to it, which she said made the hot chocolate better.

It certainly added a nice kick to it, which was good: most of the snow in my coat had melted while I was waiting for the tub to fill, and I was actually feeling a bit chilled, despite the heat in the room. The hot chocolate warmed me right up, and Peggy made us both a second glass.

I got in the tub first and asked her if she was going to get in as well. She said that she had to put on her swimsuit, and started digging through her bag.

I asked her why she needed it; she didn't wear it in the shower, and I didn't understand how this was different.

She stopped rummaging through her bag and finished her hot chocolate then poured herself another. I hadn't had much of my second one yet, because I didn't want to drop it in the tub by mistake and there wasn't a good place to set it.

When she'd finished, she said that I was probably right and it would save her from having to deal with a wet bathing suit.

She took off the rest of her clothes and came over to the hot tub, then turned a little knob that made jets of water start shooting out of the walls of the tub. I'd wondered what the little circles in the walls were for.

She got in across from me and stretched out with her arms on the side of the tub, her drink in one hand. When she saw that I didn't have mine, she got out of the tub and brought it over, setting it beside the tub where she could reach it for me.

We sat and talked and drank hot chocolate with Kahlua until we were both completely relaxed and the bottle was almost gone. I dried off clumsily; between the alcohol and exhaustion, I was staggering on my hooves, and I finally decided that it was too much bother to dry off all the way and crawled into bed still pretty wet. I knew I'd be paying for it in the morning; my coat was going to be all clumped up, but I was too tired to care.

Peggy must have felt the same way; she got into her bed without putting on her normal sleeping clothes.

PreviousChapters Next