• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
July 5 [Battle Creek]

July 5

Meghan got up after the second time her alarm went off like always, and then I set out breakfast and helped groom her for work and this time she finished her breakfast before the car came to take her away.

We waited on her porch—there was a hanging couch but it wasn't hers so we couldn't sit on it—and she said that we should have a spa day again soon, and maybe in the evening we could use her hot tub. I thought Thursday might be a good day for that, until I remembered that there was a chance of thunderstorms. So we decided to be safe and do at least the hot tub part tomorrow, and we'd just have to see when we could get time at the salon.

I reminded her that I was leaving on Friday to go to Lansing, and wouldn't be back until Monday evening. And she said that was when she had her conference so that was part of the reason why she wanted to go to the salon before that.

She rubbed my head when the car came to get her, and I nuzzled her hip and then when she was gone I flew back to my apartment and put on my flight gear.

While I'd had a nice lazy weekend with Meghan, now it was time to work my wings and then in the afternoon I was going to go shopping with Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn again.

I had an urge to fly east, so I took off and went low over town, until I was across the Kalamazoo River, and then I started following the railroad tracks until I got to Comstock. I thought that was far enough away from the airport that I could easily get clearance, and I did. Dori said that she'd missed me over the weekend, and I asked if she'd seen me on TV and she said that she had. She told me that CNN had picked up on it, which I guess was a good thing although I wasn't entirely sure what CNN was. And then I told her that my intention was to fly to past Augusta and she reminded me that I might fly into Battle Creek's airport zone, and gave me the frequency for their tower. She told me I ought to contact them no later than Augusta, and once I was past Galesburg to monitor their frequency.

Well, that was something I hadn't done before, but I guess I should have.

I picked up altitude and followed the railroad tracks, since they were a straighter guide than the river. And I was all the way at my ceiling by the time I got to Galesburg, so I flew in a big circle and changed my radio to their frequency and just to be safe I advised them of my intentions.

They said that the sky was clear and to monitor the general aviation frequency until I got to Augusta so I changed my radio again and waited for a break in traffic and then announced my position and my heading to anyone who was listening, and when I got to the right point in my circle, I kept going along the tracks.

I had to circle again while I was changing my radio, then when I got it they gave me clearance to proceed along the tracks and to maintain an altitude of ten thousand feet. So I did, and pretty soon I saw the airport off to my right and it was pretty exciting to be that close to it. I saw a funny stumpy-looking airplane that had dull olive paint zoom under me and land and I hadn't thought before that how the airplane directors might have aircraft go under me. So after that I paid a lot more attention to my altimeter.

I went a little ways further and then I got permission to turn around and I saw another one of the stumpy airplanes go down for a landing but instead of stopping on the runway he flew along it and then went back up in the air like I'd done to get my flight license.

I thought that they were really busy at the airport, so I didn't ask for permission to descend until I was near Augusta again, and then they told me that I could but to switch back to the general frequency once I got under five thousand feet.

So I did a nice, slow gliding descent, with a big loop at five thousand feet. Nobody objected to me going down more, so I continued losing altitude and finally landed at a parking lot near a bend in the river.

I went down the little ramp to the water and the water smelled okay so had a good drink, then I waded in a little bit further to cool myself down some, but kept my wings up and dry.

Then I walked around the parking lot a bit before taking off again. I went in a mostly-west direction until I was over the railroad tracks again, and then I followed them.

I was almost back to Kalamazoo when I saw a train coming my way, and it passed under me in a bright silver flash and then I turned and watched it until it disappeared around the corner in Galesburg. That was the train I took to see Aquamarine, and now I'd covered a portion of its route. For some reason that made me feel really satisfied with myself. It was almost like I knew the train's secrets.

I took another break near the karaoke bar that no one wanted to take me to. It was closed; it didn't open until the afternoon, but I peeked through the glass doors. Then I flew the rest of the way home, keeping low enough that airplanes went over me and I could land whenever I wanted to.

The shower felt really nice on my wings—a few days of hardly flying really made me ache the next time I put in a long flight—and when I was done I dried myself off and relaxed in the papasan for a little bit, then I ate a light lunch and waited for Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn to arrive.

I probably ought to have read another chapter of the Bible, but I thought I'd do that tomorrow—I'd have a shorter flight, and then do it in the morning, where I'd have time to get all the way through another chapter uninterrupted.

They'd both seen me on TV, and when I asked what CNN was, Miss Cherilyn told me it was a cable news channel that did national news, instead of a local channel like WWMT. She said that she thought I'd make a great weatherpony, and she asked Mister Salvatore what he thought and he said that a piece like that might bring the nuts out of the woodwork and I wasn't sure what he meant by that.

Then we got to talking about flying, and I said that I thought I ought to get some bottles of water like people always had 'cause I got thirsty and Mister Salvatore said that I should get a camelback.

Meijer didn't have them. We looked at the sporting supplies—which Mister Salvatore said was his favorite section of the store—and there weren't any. There was lots of other stuff, though, like golf balls and tents and shoes with caulks and fishing gear.

I told him that I didn't need any of that to fish; I just watched from above and dove down when I saw one that looked good swimming too close to the surface and he said that I probably ought to have a fishing license then. So we went to the counter and I got one (all I had to do was give them my plastic money-card and fill out a form) and he gave me a pamphlet that said what kind of fish I could and couldn't catch.

Then he said it was probably silly, but he really didn't want to have to explain me to the DNR. And he asked if I hunted for anything besides fish because I guess you needed a special kind of license for that, too, and I said that I didn't.

He said that there hadn't been nearly as many headaches when Action Shot had been here but he was smiling when he said it.

We got more food for my apartment and also a mat for the bathtub so my hooves wouldn't slip as much. It had suckers on the bottom like an octopus that would hold it in place. And Miss Cherilyn said that since I bought so many vegetables maybe I would enjoy shopping at the farmer's market and when she told me that the people who grew the food also sold it, I agreed that was where I wanted to go. So she told me she'd get directions to it.

After we'd gotten everything we went back to my apartment and put it all away, then got back in the van and went to a store called Dick's and they had a camelback and it didn't fit all that well but then Miss Cherilyn got the idea to cross the straps and that made it much better. It would fit under my flight vest and would let me carry lots of water.

When we were driving back home, I told them how I was going to Bay City to see the ships next weekend and said that I already had bought train tickets for myself. And then I said that I still wanted to fly to Chicago and Mister Salvatore said that he needed to know ahead of time because Chicago had a very big, very important airport. And he wanted to know how far I could fly without landing and I said that I wasn't sure. It was different on Earth, 'cause I couldn't go up and rest on clouds, and it was a little harder to fly so he got kind of thoughtful for a bit and said that if I was going to do it, he'd want to charter a boat to follow me along and that way if I had to land I could land on the boat.

Well, I thought it would hurt my pride to have to land on a boat, but I guess I could understand why he was worried. A lot of parents didn't like their foals flying out over the ocean; even my mom had told me not to when I was little. I'd thought that was unfair because she did all the time, but she said that there were lots of ponies who flew too far and got lost and then drowned when they couldn't find land and couldn't find any clouds.

And I guess she had a good point. We never patrolled out very far without being in a group. We weren't always close, but we were close enough that we could keep an eye on each other.

So I said that I thought having a boat was a good idea, and I promised that I wouldn't do it until we'd scheduled a good time for it and then he said that he thought maybe it would be easier to go from Chicago to South Haven, because the wind usually blew from the west, and so that would help me.

He was probably right, but it felt like it would be more satisfying to go to Chicago, rather than the other way around.

We went to Bilbo's for dinner. I wouldn't have minded just going home and having something light, but he really wanted to eat there and I did like their pizza and beer.

I told them over dinner how Gusty had gotten a role on Orange is the New Black, and reminded them that she was going to come back to put on her play in Stratford and he said that it was something he was really looking forward to because getting us into Canada was a real treat.

Our waiter had seen me on TV as well, and he asked really nicely if he could take a selfie with me and so I did. I asked Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn if they wanted to be in the picture, too, but they didn't.

We really took our time at dinner, but it was nice. I didn't spend as much time with them as I ought to have, I guess sometimes because they felt like surrogate parents and I was of the age where all my instincts said I should be flying away from home.

And we decided on when we were going to go on a trip out west. Miss Cherilyn and Mister Salvatore were going to come with me, and I said that they didn't have to but Mister Salvatore said that it was a great way to get a vacation without actually taking any vacation time and he was pretty sure that was why Mister Barrow and Miss Parker had been so quick to volunteer for our last train trip.

Right now it seemed like it was so far off, but I had a feeling that it was going to sneak up on me and all of a sudden we'd be getting on the train. I was going to have a busy August, that was for sure.

When I got back to my apartment, I saw that I had a telephone message (Mister Salvatore wagged his finger at me when he saw that I'd left my telephone at home but where was I supposed to put it if I brought it with me?) and it was Meghan saying that she had gotten an appointment for Thursday after work.

Miss Cherilyn liked watching the birds and Mister Salvatore looked around my apartment again and asked if I wanted to get a different stove because he could lean on the landlord and make it happen. And he asked if there was anything else I needed and I said that I'd like it if the shower was wider because it was crowded when Meghan and I were in there together and he frowned and Miss Cherilyn said that was a pretty major change and she didn't think that they could make that happen. I said I'd thought the same thing because the bathtub was pretty built-in and if it got much wider it would run into the toilet.

And then I remembered that I needed to do laundry, so we gathered together all my dirty stuff and it was kind of annoying that I had to use my plastic money to get paper money and then turn that into coins before I could use the washing machine and dryer and when I was done I was left with a lot of coins and no good place to put them, because I hadn't thought to bring my bit-purse. So I tucked them in with my sheets to they wouldn't fall out, and put them away when I got home.

It was kind of late when I got back, but I wasn't all that tired. So I put on my clean flight vest and my blinking light (we'd bought enough batteries for it to last the rest of the summer) and then took off for a low flight around the neighborhood.

It was kind of neat, because occasionally I'd see people launching fireworks off in the distance. Not too many; they'd probably used most of them up on the Fourth, but I guess some people had them left.

I went all the way over downtown, circled around the hotel, and then followed Main Street back to my apartment.

The futon felt kind of lonely without Meghan, and I wound up tucking one pillow between my forelegs before I could fall asleep.

Author's Note:

Technical correction: several chapter back, I confused Augusta and Vicksburg. There is a Vicksburg near Kalamazoo, but it's to the southeast, and not between Galesburg and Battle Creek.

PreviousChapters Next