• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
March 12 [National Weather Service]

March 12

I didn't want to be late, so I skipped my morning exercise (I'd be getting some in Grand Rapids if there were clouds in the sky), packed up my flight outfit, and trotted over to the dining hall. Unfortunately, it wasn't open yet, because humans usually sleep in on weekends, and it wasn't going to open until after we left.

I hoped the professor planned to stop somewhere for breakfast. I was going to be a grumpy pony if I didn't get anything to eat.

Before too long, other people from the class started trickling in. Most of them looked not all the way awake yet. I don't really understand how weekends are that much different than weekdays: everyone would have been eating breakfast or on their way to class by now if it had been a weekday.

Luke was the last to arrive, and then we all got in the van, which is called Express. I sat in the back next to Crystal Dawn. That wasn't a good place to be in order to see where we were going, but I'd rather be with two people I liked than all alone in the front seat.

Crystal Dawn fell asleep before we were even out of Kalamazoo. She'd rested her head on Luke's shoulder and closed her eyes as soon as the van started moving, and she was completely out when we turned north on the 131 Highway.

I thought it was kind of strange that I was already familiar with this highway; it was my third trip north on it. And I hadn't really gone much of anywhere else, yet. We passed by the road that went to Bittersweet, and then before we got to the big S-curve in Grand Rapids that Peggy didn't like, we went onto a different highway.

I was a little bit concerned; the highway number (6) was on a black sign with a white diamond, and I knew on the snowboard trails diamond courses were hard, so was this going to be a more challenging highway? But it turned out to be just the same as the 131 Highway.

We went east for a little bit and then got off the highway and onto a normal road. The professor stopped at a Burger King, which I didn't like all that much, even though Luke gave me a paper crown to wear.

The National Weather Service is right next to the airport, and that was going to be a problem if they expected me to get a cloud for them. It was a much bigger airport than Kalamazoo, and even as we were pulling into the parking lot, a big airplane roared overhead, shaking the ground as it went by.

When we went inside the building, we had to wait until Dr. Thomas Thompson came around to escort us—the woman at the desk wouldn't let us by before that. She was the guard to keep the station safe.

He was really happy to see all of us, and he shook everyone's hand and my hoof too, and then he led us past the front desk and into the back.

I noticed right away that there were computers everywhere. A lot of the desks had several on them, all of them showing different things.

He showed us the radar data first. The computer was able to remember past weather, and when he clicked a few buttons it brought up a picture of a big storm that he said had come through a few years back. He pointed to a storm cell that was in front of the others, which he said was called a supercell (we'd learned about those). It could be identified by the strong rotational current inside of it—the radar showed red blocks that were velocities away from it and green blocks that were velocities towards it, and so they knew what the air was doing inside that cloud. He said that that supercell had produced a tornado, but they'd been able to warn people that it was going to twenty-four minutes before it had.

Then he moved on and introduced us to a man named Ryan who was in charge of the amateur radio. Ryan's little office was full of boxes with buttons and dials, which were all parts of the radios—some of them were for getting messages and some of them were for sending messages, and some of them did both. He told us that people called Skywatchers would actually be out in the field with radios, and tell the weather service what they were observing on the ground. That was important, because the radar could only see what was happening in the sky, and not what conditions on the ground were.

We needed something like that. In well-controlled areas, it wasn't a problem, because you always had teams up in the clouds and really good control on what was happening, but on the coast where I worked, sometimes we misjudged the feral storms and didn't have enough ponies ready when they came in.

Inland, there were some weather stations that had a telegraph near them, and a fast flier could relay messages that way, but that didn't work over the ocean.

Sometimes when we thought it was going to be really wild, we'd station a couple of pegasuses out on the coastal islands, and they'd fly in ahead of the storm to let us know what was coming, but if it wasn't that bad when it made landfall and then got worse, we were caught out.

I wanted to know if I could become a Skywatcher while I was here, and Ryan said that he'd get the information together for me. Most of their Skywatchers had ham radio licenses, he said, but there might be a way to get around that; he was going to have to check. I told him that I sometimes told the airplane controllers what the weather was like in the sky.

Then we moved on to the aviation and marine forecasting. They looked farther away than the local weather forecasters, and had pictures that were taken by satellite of the United States and Canada. They had different satellites that saw different things: during the day, they had visual images that looked down and saw the clouds; at night they used infrared, which could see them even in the dark. That was really clever: night flying in storms is super dangerous, because you can't see what you're getting into.

There were other small boxes off to the side of the big cloud map that showed humidity data and temperature data, and the forecasters used both their experience and different computer models (I don't know how a model computer helped) to estimate what the forecast was.

We moved on to the man who was in charge of the weather radar. That was the big white sphere on a tower behind the building, and I'd been warned that they were very dangerous to fly close to. There was one computer that showed how the weather radar was working, and then another that showed a picture of what it saw. Then he told us about how we could see what they were seeing on the internet. There was a picture of the whole United States that was a mosaic of all the different sites, which was really neat, and there was also a place where we could look at the current weather satellite pictures that they were seeing.

I was really excited about that: I'd be able to see with my computer the same things they saw, and I could get a different understanding of how things worked.

We had a pizza lunch in their break room, and once we'd all gotten some, Dr. Thomas Thompson showed us a movie about radiosondes and how they were used to directly monitor data. He had an instrument package that he let us examine, and he explained that not all the stations used them, but that there were two in Michigan that did: KAPX in Gaylord and KDTX in Pontiac.

Then when the tour was over, he looked outside at the scattered clouds and wanted to know if I thought I could bring one down. I said that I probably could (I was looking forward to it, to be honest).

We were going to have to go outside of Grand Rapids to do it, because like I'd thought we were too close to the airport, and I'd mess up the schedule for all the airplanes if I was to fly around with a cloud. So we got back in the van and drove down to Moline, which was far enough south of Grand Rapids to be safe.

Luke had to use his telephone to find out what the frequency for Grand Rapids airport was, and I finally got permission from them to fly. They were a bit confused at first. The Kalamazoo airplane directors know who I am, but the Grand Rapids ones don't and I had to do a bit of explaining because they weren't clear on my type.

I kept a good lookout as I flew up for other airplanes, and watched my altimeter carefully. I also made sure to get a good look at the landmarks near where I'd taken off from, since I was in new territory and didn't know it very well. The last thing I wanted was to get distracted and lose my bearings, then I'd be up in the sky with a cloud and have no idea where to land with it, and then I'd have to fly all the way back to Kalamazoo on my own.

The clouds were a little higher and a little bigger than I'd thought from the ground. I wasn't going to be able to get a whole one; they were too big, so I'd have to tear off a chunk.

I scanned the sky for a good candidate, looking upwind. It was going to be a lot easier to have the wind help push me back when I had a cloudlet. I found a good candidate a couple of miles west of me, and headed off in that direction.

I flew around the cloud to get a good feel for it, and decided that the trailing end would be the easiest to get, since I'd be able to break it off and slow it down some, letting the main part of the cloud drift ahead.

Once I'd gotten a good feel all around on the cloud, I found a good fracture spot and worked it apart. That was a bit tricky, and I actually overdid it a little bit and made some rain come out when I accidentally oversaturated part of the mother cloud. It's a lot easier to just break clouds up, or put clouds in the sky.

I'd learned a lot from the first one I'd brought down, and it didn't take me as long to compact it down to a workable size.

Once I'd gotten it stable, I started pushing it down towards the ground. I had to drop altitude faster than I'd planned, because the wind had pushed me further than I'd anticipated. I ought to have picked a cloud that was further away!

When I got it to the ground, I made sure it was stable and would stay together before I let anybody touch it. Dr. Thomas Thompson went all around it with various little portable analyzing instruments, which was neat to see. He stuck a couple of probes inside it that fed data to his folding computer, and even tried to take a sample with a jar but wound up nearly freezing his hand instead.

Once he'd gotten all the data he wanted, I pushed the cloudlet up and over some trees (to help break up the rain that was going to come out of it) and bucked it apart, then flew back down to them.

Dr. Thomas Thompson had all sorts of questions for me about how I was able to manipulate it like that, and I answered them the best I could. Some of it I just didn't know; it was something that all pegasuses could do, and I didn't really know the makeup behind it. I told him it was just like walking—nopony had ever had to tell me how to do it, I just figured it out on my own when I was a foal.

He was disappointed that I couldn't give him an exact answer for every single one of his questions, but he admitted that he'd learned a lot from what I could tell him. Then he wanted to know if I could form a small cloud.

That was a bit more complicated, especially to do at near ground level, but I told him I could try. And I gave it my best effort, but there just wasn't enough humidity for it to work out right. I kinda got one started, but it wasn't really that much darker than the surrounding air. I think if I'd had a couple of partners, it could have been done.

He went all over that area with his instruments as well, and he assured me that even though I hadn't made an actual cloud, what I had managed was really interesting and scientifically important.

He told me that I would always be welcome at the office, and said that as the year went by to let him know if I was planning to do anything interesting with storms or fog or anything else. He said to call him any time and he'd come down to visit me.

He also wanted to know if I'd be willing to wear sampling instruments while I flew. He said that he could get me some radiosonde instrument packages which would work if I wore them, and he could even show me how to transfer the data from the instrument package to a computer.

That sounded like a big responsibility, but then I thought that if I did, I might be allowed to fly into clouds and in fog and other weather where I wasn't allowed to fly now, so I told him that if I could get that permission, then I would do it.

He said that he'd have to make some calls, but he could probably arrange for that. I hope he does: I might get to be an official Stormwatcher!

I had my turn to nap on the way back—between wrangling the feral cloud and trying to make a new one, I was completely exhausted. Luke and Crystal Dawn let me stretch out on their laps, which was really nice of them.

After dinner, my first priority was figuring out how to grade the climate science assignments. I still hadn’t thought of anything. It didn’t help that not everyone had picked the same place, and some were more of a challenge than others. It wouldn’t be fair to give someone worse marks just because they’d picked someplace hard.

Then I decided that I’d give everyone seventy five points for just doing it, and add ten points for everything that they got right, and take away five for everything they got wrong, but not go below the seventy five. After I’d decided that, it was pretty easy. My teachers weren’t as generous, but then nobody in this class had ever tried to calculate weather like this before.

I sent a computer letter to the professor telling him what grade everyone had gotten, then went over to Aric’s to study a little bit more and then relax.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to reprovedhawk for sending me pictures of a NWS office!

PreviousChapters Next