• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,357 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,357

PreviousChapters Next
May 16 [The Space where Fractals Live]

May 16

Aric was a whole collage of scents when he got into bed. I woke up when the door opened and I don't think he even noticed I was in bed right away, 'cause he was struggling to get out of his pants without falling over. And then when he got in bed he smelled like hot theatre dust and sweat and beer and smoke so I guess they had had an after party.

He wrapped his arms around me and muttered something that didn't make any sense at all, something about his new orange hat, and then he put his head on the pillow and fell asleep.

He was still pretty out of it in the morning. When he woke up, the first thing he did was put on his wrinkled pants and made a beeline for the bathroom, and when he staggered back into the room he had to put his hand on the doorframe to steady himself.

I asked him how much he'd had to drink last night, and he said too much. He told me he didn't even remember getting home, and said his head was throbbing. Which I guess I could understand: he didn't look too good.

Aric stepped out of his pants and climbed back into bed and so I nuzzled his chest and told him that I hoped he'd feel better when he'd had a chance to sleep it off, and he said that he hoped so, too. He said that he'd see me at Durach, and the way he felt he'd probably be sleeping until then. So I opened the window and flew out, then landed on the roof to get my flight clearance.

I said I was going to keep low today, and I did. I followed Main Street east, through town, and then instead of continuing to go East, I went along a northerly route, through the part of Kalamazoo called Parchment because they used to make paper there.

When I came back, I went up Academy Street, and noticed that Winston was still sitting in the theatre parking lot. So at least Aric had had enough sense not to drive it home with him last night.

Peggy noticed that I was in a sort of grumpy mood, and so I told her that Aric had gotten home last night really drunk, and she said that was because boys were dumb. That didn't really cheer me up all that much, but then again he'd hopefully be well-rested tonight, so that was something to look forward to.

I was hoping that we would get to do more work with fractals today—and we did—but it wasn’t drawing them. Professor Sir Doctor Banerjee said that we were going to learn about the space where fractals live, and I sort of had an image in my mind of a wonderful magical place, but that wasn’t what he meant.

He spent the whole class talking about measuring things, and some of the stuff seemed kind of basic at first, like how a line between points x and y should be the same distance whether it’s measured forward and backwards, which seemed pretty obvious.

I trusted that was going somewhere with that, though, and he was, because pretty soon we were talking about Euclidean and Non-Euclidean geometry and the Hausdorff metric and he would ask us how far apart a pair of fractals were, and then when we came up with an answer, we’d go through the definitions of a proper xy line and make sure that it filled the criteria.

Plus the mathematical symbols he used to draw out the definition of a line were really neat. It seems kind of silly to write, but when you’re talking about complex things, it’s very important that everyone has the same definition, otherwise it would be like if we were trying to set out clouds but everypony was working from a different gridmap.

I had a feeling we were going to get into some really good stuff on Wednesday, and I was looking forward to it.

Between class and lunch, I stopped back at my dorm room to take some notes on the wedding books. I should have done it last night, but I was so comfy on the bed with Meghan and it's really hard to write on a bed. I was worried that somebody else might want to borrow the book and it wouldn't be fair if I still had it.

I didn't have enough time to take notes from both, but I finished using one book and returned it, which only made me a little bit late to lunch.

Sean and Christine were having a good-natured argument about Star Trek and Star Wars, and I sort of tuned them out. Joe was reading a book in Japanese called a Manga, and he showed me some pages of it. I couldn't read it, of course, but I liked the art.

Peggy said that maybe I ought to watch one of Miyazaki's movies, and Joe set his book down and had a look on his face like he'd just been struck by lightning and then both of them said together Castle in the Sky.

So we decided that we'd watch that tomorrow night in Christine's room (which meant that I could sit in the papasan).

Professor Amy started off the day by asking us what our essay was going to be about, and when it got around to me, I told her about my topic. Luckily, nobody else had picked it first, or else I might have had to come up with something else.

Then when we were done she said that we were going to talk about race, and she started out by telling us that it is scientifically impossible to describe race. She went on to explain how there are a large mixture of characteristics, and that the significance of traits is cultural, not biological. There were some protests to that, and she reminded the class again that this was an anthropology class, not a biology class. But it didn't matter; the discussion got pretty heated for a little bit.

By the end of class, it felt like her lecture had been completely lost in the argument, and I kind of felt bad about that. Plus the whole thing had confused me: nobody in class could seem to agree on anything. I guess humans aren't split up in obvious tribes like ponies are, so I guess it was really hard for them to tell. All I knew was that I hadn't seen anybody yet who belonged to an obviously different tribe or race.

I asked Professor Amy about that after class, and she said it was really, really complicated, and then she explained how people had once organized different types of people into different classifications based on their skin color and certain features, and that there had even been a theory which was now discredited that all the different races had evolved independently from each other. She said that we now knew that wasn't the case; all of humanity had had common ancestors, but either way that wasn't the point of the class.

Then she said that the reason she had made the blanket statement at the beginning of the class was because all humans had common DNA, and they could all breed with each other, and as they did traits would get mixed, or, over time they would change in order to adapt to new living conditions. She told me if I wanted specifics on that, I'd have to ask a genetics professor, because that wasn't her field of study and she didn't want to give me wrong information.

And she also said that sometimes in different fields, different things matter. And what the students needed to understand was that if you took a human baby from any culture and put it in a new one, there was nothing to prevent it from growing up the same as any other adult in that culture. It would learn the language and customs of that culture, and that was the point. Humans weren't pre-programed to be one thing or another; it was all learned behavior.

Well, I guess that was true of ponies, too. But there were still some other important differences. I could see how an earth pony being raised in a unicorn house might act like a unicorn, but I didn't think it would be able to use spells. And probably a unicorn wouldn't be as good at farming as an earth pony.

Some groundponies had mixed families, and some pegasuses, too. I don't think I would like being in a mixed family; I think when I was young, I would have been upset to find out my parents and siblings could do something I'd never be able to.

I thought about that some at dinner, and I looked around at my dining companions and tried to decide if they might be different races. I didn't think that they were, even though I could pick out lots of differences between them.

I spent the early evening taking notes from the second wedding book, and then a third, and I returned both of them on my way to Fourth Coast. I noticed that Winston was gone, so Aric must have recovered enough to drive it home.

Sure enough, when I got there, Winston was in the parking lot, and Aric was sitting upstairs along with Lisa and his house-mates David and Angela. He said that he'd dragged them out of the basement.

There were enough of us to play, so we played a round while we waited for everyone else to show up, and they trickled in just as we were finishing.

It was a lot harder to play with only five people, and I wound up losing, but it didn't really matter because we had fun. And then we went back to the big group, and I didn't lose any more.

When we rode back, it was really crowded in the cab of Aric's truck. Angela sat on David's lap, and Lisa and I squeezed together in the middle. He left her at her dorm, which meant that everyone had to get out and rearrange, then he went home and parked and we all got out and went in through the side door. David and Angela went downstairs to the basement, and Aric and I went upstairs to his room.

Since he'd slept all day, he really wasn't very tired at all, and he wound up wearing me out. Then he was sort of tossing and turning like he couldn't fall asleep so I finally suggested that he'd be less fidgety if he read a book. So he got up and picked a book called Bloodhound off his shelf and propped himself up on a pillow and started reading, while I curled up with my head on his chest and fell asleep.

PreviousChapters Next