• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
November 18 [Last Day of Class]

November 18

I got up Peggy to go trotting, and as soon as we got outside, I could feel that there was a storm coming, so I looked up in the sky, and it was clear. Peggy said that it was really warm for November, and I didn't like that, 'cause that meant that the storm would have more energy. So I was kinda distracted when we were trotting towards Jeff's house, 'cause I was thinking about how warm the lakes might be and how much moisture a storm could suck up off of them. I thought if it came early, it wouldn't be so bad, but if it waited until later in the day it could be a bad storm, and as soon as I got back to the room I was going to look at the weather predictions and the weather maps.

Caleb and Lindy and Trinity were enjoying it. They all had coats but they weren't wearing them, and Caleb said that it was going to snow tomorrow, and they were looking forward to that. Trinity said that he was wrong; it was too warm to snow, and he said that she'd see. He said it was going to rain tonight and then it was going to snow.

So when I gave her a short ponyback ride she asked me what I thought, and I said that it might snow. I said that I hadn't seen the weather maps, so I couldn't predict it for sure, but that the temperature could drop enough for snow. And she got excited by that, because snow was fun to play in.

Me and Peggy decided that we'd go Pokemon hunting with them, but not until tomorrow afternoon. Peggy said that she'd want a break from studying by then, and I wanted to know if Pokemons would be out in the snow. Lindy said that she thought that they would be and maybe there would be new kinds who liked the cold.

The girls hugged me before they got on the bus, and Caleb gave me a hoof-bump, and then me and Peggy finished up our morning trot.

I told Peggy to use the shower first, 'cause I wanted to figure out what the weather might do before I took my shower, and she didn't argue, 'cause I sat right down at my computer and looked at the weather, and decided that there wouldn't be rain until the afternoon, and then it did look like it was gonna get a lot colder.

And then I checked the human predictions, which said mostly the same thing.

I sent a telephone telegram to Mel, telling him that I would be able to stormwatch but he'd have to pick me up if he could. And then I packed all of my flight gear into my saddlebags so I would have it, and my thermodynamics things, too, and also a couple of cans of anchovies. I didn't have any hay left, 'cause I'd finished it a while ago.

I filled up my camelback, too, but I didn't put that on. It wasn't convenient to have it along with my saddlebags, although I thought that I could wear it over them if I had to. I could fly without it, but if I had time after class, I'd get it.

When Peggy came back in the room, I went into the bathroom and took my shower, then sat on my bed and groomed myself, and then the two of us went to breakfast together.

They had some waffles, but they were thin square ones that didn't look very good. Peggy said that she thought that they were probably pre-made frozen waffles that they'd gotten. So I got some oatmeal and scrambled eggs, and sat down at our table.

Everyone was looking forward to the weekend, even though it meant a lot of studying and finishing up projects that should have been done sooner. I'd been smart and I thought that if any of my professors decided to have the final exam today instead of waiting for next week, I'd be ready for them, but it didn't sound like anybody else would be.

I said that I thought tomorrow night would be perfect for our group shower, because that would be a perfect break from studying, and everyone else thought so, too. We decided that we'd meet a couple of hours after dinner in Christine's room, and then when everyone was all there, we'd go to Hoben and borrow their shower for a little while. Reese asked if he could wear a bathing suit and Meghan said that that wasn't the point of it.

When I was done eating, I left for thermodynamics, and I got there early and had to wait in the hall. I'd wanted to be there a little bit early in case Lisa had any last-minute changes to our lab assignment, but she didn't. Crystal Dawn came up, though, and she asked if I could help her review, 'cause Austin wasn't too interested and she knew that I was really smart, and I said that she should have asked sooner, since it was really late to start studying now. But I said that I would, and told her that she could sit with us in the lounge after class.

After the other class had left, we went in and sat down next to each other, and then Lisa came in and she gave me an odd look, but she took the seat on the other side of me without saying anything.

Professor Brown said that we were going to learn in the first part of the class, and then we'd have some review, so he started by telling us about equilibrium problems, and it was a bit different, 'cause you had two starting elements which joined in the middle. And then the next thing that he talked about was reversible reactions, and showed us how we could use a limiting case to help solve it. And that was the three basic types of alchemical reactions, which were parallel, series, or reversible, and he told us that we knew that we could use the steady state approximation or the equilibrium approximation.

He gave us an example of a series-reversible reaction, just to show us how to combine everything that we already knew into a new type of problem, and reminded us how important it was to break things down into simple parts, and then he moved on to review, where we could ask him questions and he'd answer them.

There wasn't a lot that I thought I needed to know that I didn't already, and it was kind of frustrating listening to other people ask for clarification on things I thought he'd explained pretty well during class. But I listened anyways, because there was a chance that he'd answer a question that I didn't know I should have had.

When class was over, I went and shook his hand, and thanked him for teaching me, and then me and Lisa and Crystal Dawn went down to the lounge and got out our notes. And I felt bad for Crystal, 'cause as we took turns giving answers, it was obvious that she was behind, and I didn't know if she'd catch up. She should have thought about that sooner, but I guess it was too late for should haves. So we did our best to help her, because you couldn't let a friend down when she needed you, even if it was her own fault that she did.

And by the end of it, she knew a lot more than she had when we started, and me and Lisa had both benefited, too, because re-explaining things helped us remember it.

I flew up into the sky and looked around. It was still clear out as far as I could see in all directions, and it was a lot warmer—the temperature had come up by almost ten degrees since me and Peggy had gone trotting.

I landed and relaxed until lunchtime, 'cause I didn't have any homework to do, and I might need a lot of energy this afternoon.

On my way to lunch, I saw Peggy walking across campus, and she was wearing some dirty clothes and had sawdust in her hair. She said that she'd been working in the art shop on her project, and she had most of the main parts of it in place, even though she wasn't much of a carpenter. She said that she was going to have to go out and get something for the spring, and she was thinking about using bungee cords.

I found some fish that looked edible at least, and I also got some bread and salad. And when I sat down, Christine said she'd given up on their hot food because she was fairly sure that they were trying to poison everyone, so she just had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then when Sean sat down, he reached in his pocket and got out a plastic bag of fruit loops, and Christine grabbed it out of his hand and clutched it to her chest.

Sean said that he'd heard rumors that there was going to be a Thanksgiving dinner Sunday night, so then everyone was talking about what they had for Thanksgiving dinner, and some of it sounded kind of strange. Cranberries weren't very good; they were really sour. If you didn't have anything else you could eat them, but why would you want to if you had better food? And why would you put bread inside the turkey and not eat it by itself?

They wanted to know what we did for Thanksgiving in my village, or if we even had it, and I said that we had a Harvest Festival, and ate the last of the fresh summer crops that wouldn't keep for too long, and there were lots of cakes and pies and there was a big dance, and it was one of the few times even all of the fishermen would show up.

And I told them how one year when I was a filly, a rogue storm came in and so everypony left to secure their boats or go up in the sky and fight the storm, and we got left behind on the ground but didn't mind too much because the older ponies who were watching us let us eat as much pie and cake as we wanted. I had a really sore belly after that, and I never liked sweets as much afterwards.

Me and Sean walked to math class, and I looked up at the sky. I could feel the pressure changing and I knew that off in the distance there was a storm coming, and I hoped that it would wait until classes were over. I thought that Professor Pampena would understand if I had to leave, but I didn't think he'd be too happy if I galloped out of his last lecture.

He told us more about curl and how we could use it to figure out if a vector field was conservative, but also to convert line integrals into double integrals, and that was Stokes' theorem, and he showed us how that worked, and also that we could use the principle to convert surface integrals into line integrals or the other way around.

We had to decide which way our work was going, so we'd know if it was positive or negative, and he said that it didn't really matter which we chose, but we just had to make sure it stayed the same in all our calculations.

He showed us a couple of pictures to remind us of the right-hand rule, although I had to remember it on my own 'cause I didn't have a thumb or fingers to use. And then he showed us how to use Stokes' theorem by comparing it to Green's theorem, which we already knew, and told us that work, flux, and curl were independent of coordinates, and showed us how we could break a three-dimensional object down into lots of little two-dimensional ones that proved it was true.

Then he had a little bit of review, too, just to make sure that everyone knew everything that we'd learned, and we finished up a little bit early, because everybody seemed to understand. And I shook his hand on the way out, too, and he thanked me for giving him the equations in Equestrian for him to puzzle out.

We didn't have any homework, so I studied instead, and I was feeling pretty good by the time we were done, and I hadn't heard from Mel yet, which meant that I still had time before the storm.

Sean's portable telephone made a funny noise, and he got it out and looked at it and said that it was a weather update, and it said that there was a severe storm watch for Kalamazoo County that would be starting soon, and he hadn't even finished reading it when my portable telephone beeped, and it was Mel and he said that he was on his way to get me. So I got my gear out of my saddlebags and got dressed, and Sean was nice and filled up my camelback for me, and then I took my saddlebags in my mouth and carried them back to the dorm. I could have had had Mel pick me up from Harmon, but I didn't think that he knew where it was, so it was smarter to have him get me from Trowbridge.

I didn't have to wait too long for him to arrive, and when I got in Mel's truck, I saw that on his dashboard he had a sticker that said that he'd voted, so I asked him if he was disappointed in how Trump had gotten elected, too, and he sighed and said that he should have known, with me being at a liberal college that I'd only ever heard bad things about him and only good things about Hillary.

Well, I said that I hadn't really heard as much as I ought to have, 'cause I'd watched a couple of the debates and I'd gone to the primary to see what it was like, but I hadn't paid as much attention as I guess I ought to have.

He opened his mouth like he was gonna talk, and then he just rubbed his chin with his hand, and for a minute he just kept driving without saying anything, but when we had to stop for a traffic signal, he said that to start with, he'd never liked Hillary. Mel said he didn't like how she'd kept her own computer mail server instead of using the one that came with her job, because it seemed like she was doing that to keep her computer letters private. I thought that they should be, but he said that when you were a government employee, people had the right to read them.

Then he told me that even that wasn’t the most important thing about it, but she also had done important work on it, and she hadn’t kept it safe enough, so people had been able to read her mail that shouldn’t have been, and then they published her mail on the internet so that anybody could read it, even things that were important to the safety of the country, and then everybody got to look through them, and they’d found lots of bad things in them that showed how what she said in public wasn’t the same as what she said in her computer letters.

He said that he also thought that she represented how politics was corrupt: Hillary had been a politician for thirty years, and he said that he thought that she was a bit two-faced. He told me that she kept talking about how she represented the common man, but at the same time she got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to speak privately to bankers, and so maybe she was a little bit two-faced, since she'd say one thing in public and another thing in private.

So he said that he didn't like her because he didn't trust her, and he wasn't sure that she had the honesty and integrity that a president ought to have.

Then he said that she had some policies that he did like, and maybe if the democrats had had a different person running for president, he would have voted for them. They'd had Bernie Sanders, but Mel said that he thought Mister Sanders was a little bit too socialist.

So I asked him if there was stuff that he liked about Donald Trump, because I thought it would be kind of petty to have just voted for him because he didn't like Hillary. And he told me that some people thought it was a problem that he didn't have any experience, but that he thought that was an advantage, and said that Abraham Lincoln and Dwight Eisenhower hadn’t had any experience and they'd been good presidents.

He said that he liked Trump's stance on immigration, which was to get people who were in the country illegally out and back where they had come from. He said that because they would work more cheaply than Americans, people would hire them instead of Americans who needed jobs, plus there were violent and dangerous immigrants who shouldn't be in the country.

He told me that in Europe they were having a big problem with that, and it wasn't bad over here yet, and Trump was going to make sure that it stayed that way.

Mel told me that he was also going to renegotiate some of the bad trade deals that the country had gotten into, and that that would mean that there would be more work in America. He said that factories moved to other countries because it was cheaper and then sold their products in America, and that put people out of work, and he said if I'd ever seen the big factory on Sprinkle Road, that used to be a factory where lots of people built cars but General Motors had moved it to Mexico and everybody had lost their jobs. He said lots of his friends had lost their jobs when they'd been moved overseas, and Trump was going to fix that.

And he also told me how he thought that overall Trump had more in common with the feelings of the lower and middle-class people than Hillary did, and Mel liked how he said what was on his mind, instead of weaseling like politicians did when you asked them a question.

Then when we got to the parking lot, he said that he was sorry for bending my ear but I didn't mind. Sometimes the best way to learn stuff is to just listen to what other people have to say.

As soon as he parked, he unfolded his computer and looked at the weather maps, and said that we were cutting it a little bit close if I wanted to get up in front of the storm. So I had a drink of water and then I got out of the truck and looked up into the sky but I couldn't really see where the storm started from here on the ground, since it was overcast as far as I could see.

When I got up in the air, I could see the dark clouds off in the distance, and they were still a ways off, but they were getting closer. And it was a solid mass of darkness as far as I could see in both directions, and on the weather map it had been red, so that gave me an idea what it was going to be like.

I had time to check and make sure that my radio was working, and I also told Mel what I was seeing, and then I circled around and waited for the storm to come.

It was as bad as I'd thought it would be, 'cause of all the energy it had picked up all day. I kept watch on the ground while I was waiting for it to get to me, and I could see the trees bending and moving around in the wind gusts, and all the lightning flashing off in the distance, and then I started to see cars coming along the 94 Highway that were dripping wet and had their windshield squeegees on, and I started preparing myself for the storm front.

I had just enough time to get one more message to Mel, and then I got hit by it, and I was ready but it still pushed me back and down, and I fought the clouds to get my altitude and position back even though I couldn't see the ground any more. And I took one look back at Kalamazoo glittering in the distance, and then it was also swallowed up in the curtains of rain, and there was just me and my little light freezing the raindrops in the air every time that it blinked.

When the weather was like this, it was hard to tell sometimes where the clouds ended, and I probably went up into them a few times by mistake. I was flying completely by feel, getting a sense of the storm and shouting at Mel on the radio whenever I got the chance.

The first part of it went by me and then it got a little calmer, and I could sometimes see lights on the ground, when the squalls eased off a little bit, and then the wind would gust and the cloud would dump out more rain and it was gone.

There was a lot of lightning in the storm, and that was something that I could see, although a lot of times the sky just lit up and I didn't see the bolt, but there were a bunch of them that were close enough to me to see, and I called those out, too. And I checked my watch a couple of times to make sure that I was still holding my position, although since it only measured the distance to the airport, I could have been anywhere on that arc, so whenever I got a chance, I looked down in the hopes of seeing the cars on the 94 Highway, 'cause with their headlights on they were like a long lighted snake.

I'd been in the storm for over an hour when it started to thin out a little bit, and I asked Mel if it was passing or if I needed to hold my station. He said that the weather radar showed that it was moving by, so I turned and flew back towards the Speedway, just on the tail of the rain. And as I got down a little bit lower, I noticed that most of the trees had had their fall leaves stripped off of them by the storm, so I guess that was how trees did it on Earth. They just waited for a big storm to take their leaves.

I landed on top of the giant S, and I almost forgot to spark off and had to do a really awkward landing so that I wouldn't zap my tail, and then I sat up there for a minute, looking around at the rain-soaked ground, before I jumped off and glided down to Mel's truck.

He said that the weather looked clear and there weren't any reports from spotters of other storms behind this one, so I shook off and got in, and he said he could take me back to campus, but I convinced him to take me to Taco Bell instead, 'cause I hadn't had dinner.

So we went through the drive-through, and he ordered food for me and then he even paid for it which was really nice of him, and then he let me eat it in his truck, so I was really careful not to make a mess by mistake, and when we got back to campus, I nuzzled him and he said that I was the best spotter he'd ever worked with, and he said that he was going to miss me when I went back to Equestria. And I told him that I was going to miss him, too, and I hugged him and thanked him one more time for dinner, and then I hopped out of his truck and went across the lawn and back to the dorm.

I wasn't sure if Meghan was still in her room or if she'd gone to Aric's already, so I went there first, and she was busy studying so I said that she should come up to my room when she was done. And then I went back upstairs, and I guess Peggy had gotten tired of studying, 'cause she was playing euchre with Ruth and Kat and Rebekka. And she also had some vodka, and everyone had a White Russian, and she made one for me, too.

I was pretty wet still, so after I'd hung up my flight gear, I put a towel on my bed and sat on it so that I could dry off. And I watched them play until they were done, and then Kat said that she didn't want to play another game, so I took her place, and Ruth had to go to her room and get a glitter marker and a pair of lounging pants, which she said I should wear so I wouldn't get cold. And after I'd put them on, she drew hearts on my hooves again.

Me and Rebekka lost, 'cause she wasn't very good at the game, but it didn't matter, because we'd had fun. And then we just sat and talked, even after Meghan had come up to the room. So it was pretty late when we finally decided to go to Aric's, and I'd been good and not had too much to drink.

He was already in bed when we got there, and I felt kind of bad for spending so much time with Peggy and our hallmates when Aric had been alone, but he said that he didn't mind—he said that he'd gone to bed a bit early because he'd had a headache from studying so much, and Meghan asked if he was trying to make an excuse for not having sex, and he laughed and said that he was never too tired for sex.

But even though he'd said that, he wasn't as frisky as he normally was, and I think we overwhelmed him, and when he was done, he snuggled up with his head on Meghan's breast and he fell asleep pretty quickly, and I couldn't be mad 'cause it was pretty cute.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Johnny Walker for research and editing, mostly at the last minute (which is totally my fault).

PreviousChapters Next