• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
September 28 [Functions of Several Variables]

September 28

I woke up when Meghan started to move around and I yawned and then moved my head to her breast. She opened her eyes and then started scratching my ear, then asked me when Peggy was coming back.

I said I didn't know, but she usually got up kind of late on Wednesdays and she'd taken her clothes with her to Christine's, so she probably wasn't coming back before breakfast.

So we had plenty of time for snuggles before Meghan's alarm went off the first time, and we probably could have had sex, too, but we both decided to get up after the second time her alarm went off. I think that Meghan was a little bit nervous that Peggy might come back and catch us.

Meghan got dressed and then I went to the bathroom and filled up my camelback, and she helped me put on my flight gear and said that before I left I ought to put my toy away. So I grabbed it and carried it back to my drawer and Meghan said it was really weird seeing me carry it in my mouth but how else was I going to carry it?

She walked with me down to the boardwalk, and I called the airplane directors to tell them that I was flying to the Nature Center, and the grumpy man reminded me to stay under a thousand feet.

So I went over the quad and waved to Leon and Cedric's room, then flew by Sean's room and waved in that direction, too. The lights were off, so he probably wasn't awake either.

Instead of taking a direct route, I flew to the hotel first and did one close lap of it, and then part of a second until I was pointed in the direction of the Nature Center, and then I flew off. If it had been a sun and I was a planet, I would have been stuck in my orbit, and since it was a close fast orbit, I would be a hot Silver Glow.

Since I was approaching from the river side already, I didn't have to worry about scaring off the deer, and I thought I'd go under the trees for fun. That meant I had to get low over the railroad tracks, so I looked both ways to make sure that there weren't any trains in sight, before ducking under the crowns of the trees.

I almost made a perfect turn to line up with the path, which wasn't bad for going in kind of blind. I had to cheat and tighten it up when I saw the path, then I leveled my wings and flared for a landing, and I hit the ground trotting, then broke right into a canter.

After three laps around the path, I did one whole lap at a slow trot to cool down, then I took off again on the river-side of the path 'cause the deer were still eating in the pasture, and that meant I had to do a turn over the river, since I'd been facing north when I took off.

I followed Westnedge part of the way back into town, angling off when I got over the 131 Bus Highway. I hardly ever see buses on it, and cars and trucks are allowed to drive on it, so I don't know why they call it that. Aric called it 'the Penetrator' once.

When I got back to campus, I circled around Trowbridge and looked through Meghan's window but I didn't see her on a flyby and I thought about stopping and sticking my muzzle up to the window, but if Amy was in there she might think it was rude.

So I landed on the boardwalk and went back up to our room and then while I was taking off my flight gear I thought that maybe I should send Peggy a telephone telegram just so that she knew that she could come back if she wanted to.

She didn't send me one back, so I took a shower and then groomed myself back in the room and went to breakfast.

Peggy was already there along with Christine and Sean, and I thought maybe she hadn't gotten my telegram but she said that she had but she'd taken a shower in Christine's suite. And Sean said that he was going to assume that they had taken a shower together and he would be very disappointed if it hadn't happened.

Christine told him that life was disappointment, and I said that I was disappointed that the waffle-maker was broken again and the man wasn't making omelets today and the scrambled eggs hadn't looked like they were all the way cooked.

Even so, there was lots of other good food, and I was still in a happy mood anyway. So I told him that he should eat some Lucky Charms, and Christine said that I had to be careful not to turn into a corporate shill, which meant someone who was paid to say something was good. And so I said that if somebody gave me a lot of bits I would say that Lucky Charms were tasty, even though they really had too much sugar, especially for breakfast.

Sean thought that ponies were probably too honest for advertising. Well, I didn't think that was true because there were some ponies who would tell you all sorts of things that weren't true at all but usually they were pretty easy to spot. Nopony who lived in town could get away with that for very long, 'cause somepony would find out and then everypony would know.

I wanted to stay around longer and talk, but I hadn't brought my saddlebags with me 'cause I didn't like wearing them over a wet coat if I could help it. So I had to go back to my room and get my physics things, and then go to class. It was clouding up and it felt like the pressure was changing, so I reminded myself that after class I should check the weather maps on my computer.

When we sat down, I told Lisa that I had the calculations for our lab assignment, and I got them out of my bag and gave them to her so that she could type them up.

Professor Brown reviewed the equations for the reactants and products, which is the two sides of alchemy, and this time he started by giving us an equation for burning methane, and Austin asked him if this was what happened when you lit a fart, and he said only if you passed ideal gas, which made everyone chuckle. And he also showed us how you could calculate even things that couldn't actually react with each other.

It was called calorimetry when you figured all that out, and drew out how you could put it in a box to measure it, and then he wrote out on the markerboard how you set up the equations which was kind of what we'd done in the lab already although our process had been more basic. We hadn't had a box full of oil to put our reaction in.

It took most of class for him to demonstrate all the alchemical calorimetric equations, and he said we were going to be learning more of the same on Friday, and then after that we'd move on to the second law of thermodynamics, which he said was the most difficult. And then he passed out homework papers for us.

Since I'd already given Lisa the calculations, we didn't have to meet, so I flew back to our room and checked on the weather. The weather maps suggested rain in the evening, and possibly severe storms, and then I checked the human predictions and it said the same thing.

That was a bit of a dilemma, since I was supposed to be spending the night with Aric but if there was bad weather I'd need to fly in it.

I tapped my hind hoof on the floor while I was thinking, and then decided that I'd worry about it when it happened, and I got out my thermodynamics homework.

There wasn't quite enough time before lunch to finish it all, so I put it aside and packed for math, then went to lunch.

They had leftovers from dinner, which Sean and Peggy complained about but I didn't mind because I hadn't really paid attention to it last night and now I had a second chance to enjoy it.

It turned out I hadn't missed much, though.

Christine had fun with her lunch, at least. She made a little mountain out of her mashed potatoes and then put peas on the side that she said were the innocent natives living on Mount Potato and they were not expecting a landslide, then she ran her spoon down the side until all the peas were buried except for one that rolled off, and she stabbed that one with her fork.

Then she smoothed her potatoes out on her plate and said that it was an ocean and all the peas were fish in the ocean and that her dinner roll was a boat. And Sean asked her if she'd ever considered psychotherapy.

She said she had but it was boring to be normal, and the world's problem was that nobody had a good sense of imagination any more. She said if more people played with their food the world would be a better place.

Peggy got up and came back with a couple of green beans in a bowl, and Christine put them in her potato-ocean in little arches and said that it was the Loch Ness Monster, and she took a picture of it with her portable telephone. She said that she could photoshop it and it would look like the real thing. Then she 'killed' the monster with her fork and ate it.

While we were walking to class, Sean said that Christine got really weird sometimes. I thought it was fun, though. You couldn't be serious all the time, or else you would go crazy.

Professor Pampena said that we were going to move on to functions of several variables, and that perked my ears up because the more variables the function had the more fun it was.

He drew some graphs on the markerboard and a couple of people complained that they were hard to visualize. When I'd been a filly, our teachers had usually used little clouds in the corner of the room 'cause you could move them in all three dimensions and that made it a lot easier to understand, but since humans couldn't do it they had to use their imagination.

Professor Pampena had some computer pictures that he put up on a screen like Professor Sir Doctor Banerjee had, which showed some of the graphs and one of them kind of looked like a saddle, and he apologized to me for showing it, and then he asked if we were bothered by the thought of saddles, and I said that I didn't know anypony who was.

Then he showed us contour plots, and one was a map that showed elevations, and another was a weather map. And then he showed us how to do that on a two-dimensional contour plot, which was where you ignored the vertical axis and pretended that you were looking down at the top of it, and from that you could get an easy idea of what things were going to look like when you put them in three dimensions and that was easier for people to understand.

And when everyone had figured that out, he explained how to use derivatives to determine rate of change, which was really neat, and I was a little bit disappointed when the class ended.

We went back to Sean's room so that we could do our math homework together. He said that he usually put it off and it was really nice to have a friend to do homework with and keep him motivated to do it right away.

And it was also nice 'cause if either of us had forgotten something from the lecture, we could ask. And we could look over our homework while the lecture was still fresh in our minds, and when we reviewed that helped, too, 'cause sometimes he'd explain how he'd gotten his answer or I'd explain how I'd gotten mine, and you learned best by telling someone else how it was done.

Then when we'd gotten it all done, I worked on changing one of the problems to Equestrian, and that was good, too, because I had to really think about what the math was doing, and I kind of explained step-by-step to Sean what I was doing so he would have a chance to correct me if I got mixed up.

When I was done, I put everything back in my bag and flew back to my room so that I could finish my thermodynamics homework.

I ought to have read some more of Matthew when I'd finished my homework, but I could go and see Aric a little bit early, so I got my flight gear together and my weather radio as well and I put it all in my saddlebags, then I flew over to his house.

Of course, when I got there he wasn't home—not-Winston was in the driveway, but Winston wasn't. And there was a new car parked in front of the house called Alero that I didn't recognize, so instead of letting myself in I knocked on the door and after a little while Angela came out and let me in.

Well, it turned out to be her car, sort of. It had belonged to her grandmother and then her grandmother had gotten a new car so she gave this one to Angela. And she'd just gotten it yesterday—she said that her parents had brought it to Kalamazoo and left it for her.

She told me that Aric usually didn't come home until about five, and it was only four thirty, so I said that I would be back and put on my flight vest and blinking light and airplane radio and flew up so I could get a look at the clouds and maybe get a better feeling for what they were going to do. The airplane directors were a little bit confused at my really short flight.

When I landed again, Winston was in the driveway, so I went inside and Aric said that we could go out to dinner if I wanted to.

And I told him that I might have to fly if it was stormy and he said that he'd been wondering about that, but he hadn't seen me flying in a storm yet and that might be fun to watch.

So I sent Mel a telephone telegram and he said that he was about to head out because it looked like it was going to hit in about an hour.

I told Aric, and he said that we should just go, and we filled up my camelback and then he drove out to our weather-watching bridge and parked, and then helped me put on my flight gear.

I was ready to go when Mel came in, and the sky was looking pretty black off to the west but I didn't see any lightning. Mel showed me the latest weather radar data on his computer, and there were lots of big red cells, including one that was pretty close to Kalamazoo, and that was the one I was seeing. So I called the airplane directors and told them that I was going up, and then took off from the parking lot and climbed up to altitude.

It started raining just a little bit as I was reaching the top of my patrol area, and I could see street lights and parking lot lights starting to come on as the clouds got in the way of the sun—the lights have little sensors in them that lets them know when it's dark. And then it just got darker and darker and the rain got heavier and heavier, and for about half an hour it was really intense rain and sharp gusts of wind, then it dropped off and turned into normal rain.

I followed the heavy cell back, 'cause Mel said that the radar was clear after that, and when I got on the ground Aric asked if we'd be out here all night. I hoped not, but Mel said that he didn't know, and maybe it would be smart to at least stay in the area and see what developed.

Well, there was nothing right on the horizon, so me and Aric went to Pizza Hut for dinner, 'cause I knew where that was. And they had a crust made of pretzel which was pretty good.

I only had two pieces 'cause I might be flying some more if the weather started to look bad again. Aric said that he didn't mind spending all night in a thunderstorm if he had to, and we could nap in the cab of Winston. He said that if he'd known we were going to be out here he could have put the top on the truck, but by the time I'd told him it was already too late for that.

I was kind of surprised but he said that he liked a good storm and doing things that were kind of crazy, and besides it was a pretty memorable thing to do for a date.

So when we were done eating we got back in Winston and when we drove back he asked if I'd mind if he drove around some when I had to be up in the air for a long time, 'cause he also really liked driving in thunderstorms, and that was okay with me.

When we got back to the parking lot, I checked with Mel, and he said it might be another few hours before the next heavy storm came in, so me and Aric snuggled up in Winston and talked and looked at the cars going by on the highway and watched some YouTube movies on his portable telephone and then we dozed a little bit until my weather radio woke me up, and Mel said that I should probably be getting ready to go up again.

The radio had woken Aric up, too, and so he kissed me and told me to be safe, and I called the airplane directors again and pretty soon I was in the air.

This time, not only was there heavy rain but the cloud was grumbly and had lots of charge in it, but not quite enough to make any lightning. I could tell that it wanted to, though, and it was just looking to pick up some more electricity to throw at the ground, but as it passed over there just wasn't any coming from behind it, so I told Mel that it might develop into a proper thundercloud if it could get more energy but the sun was down so it probably wouldn't.

Winston was gone when I landed, so I sat in the cab of Mel's truck and we looked at weather maps together until Aric came back, and then I went over to Winston, and he laid down on his back and I climbed up on his chest and we dozed off while waiting for the next storm to come.

PreviousChapters Next