• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
January 5 [First day of Class]

January 5

What an interesting first day of classes!

I got to my climate science class early, to make sure I got a good seat. Sometimes professors bring in clouds and stuff, and it's good to have a front seat where you can see them really well. I didn't think there would be any today, 'cause first days are usually reserved for passing out books and the class syllabus, as well as to go over lab safety.

Runaway lightning clouds are a danger to everypony.

They do things a little differently on Earth, though. You get your books before class starts, rather than have the teacher give them out. Peggy said I was lucky that someone else had done that for me, since the bookstore charges too much for the books.

Anyway, since I was early, I started looking through the book until the professor showed up. The beginning was kinda basic; really, foal's stuff. Types of cloud, the water cycle, fronts and prevailing winds and atmospheric convection, that kind of thing.

Something really funny happened when he was reading the attendance, though. He went through it alphabetically, and he read off the name “Crystal Dawn,” and looked right at me when he said it. Then a girl in the middle of the class with curly brown hair raised her hand and he was really surprised.

Also we didn't go over lab safety at all. Maybe that comes later.

Philosophy class will be fun. We have a lot of books for that class, 'cause we're covering ten different philosophers. I'm looking forward to it: it will give me an insight into how humans think. And philosophers are the ultimate thinkers. They have cutie marks a talent just for thinking. How wonderful would that be?

We have stories about wise ponies, like The Good King, who learned important lessons that maybe weren't as obvious as they should have been.

The class syllabus says that we are going to discuss one philosopher a week for the length of the course. Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Rene Descartes, Thomas Aquinas, John Locke, Immanuel Kant, Friedrich Nietzsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Karl Marx. The first three are Greek, and then the rest of them aren't. I'm not entirely sure how humans count years, but there's a big gap between Socrates and Rene Descartes. It will be interesting to learn why.

I had time before my Equestrian class to have lunch in the dining hall, so I did. Joe was there, but not Christine, and I also saw Rebekka who lives down the hall from us. She always has kind of a dreamy look in her eyes.

The professor of Equestrian is an older woman who wore strange earrings that looked like slugs, complete with eyestalks. Not many ponies wear earrings, and not very many would think of wearing slugs.

She told me that I would be helping out with an advanced class, where the students were only supposed to speak Equestrian.

Of course they were all excited to see me, but their pronunciations! They were trying hard, but they kept mangling words. It took five minutes to get them all to pronounce terripae correctly, and it's best not to reflect on what they did with my name. Ugh.

Still, it was nice, and they got better as the class went on. They had just had a month-long break to celebrate Winter, and the professor said that they were all out of practice.

I was in a pretty good mood when class got over, especially since instead of rushing off, a bunch of the students stayed after to talk to me. They were all happy that I was there, and asked all sorts of questions about my home and how I liked it at Kalamazoo College and how was it different than an Equestrian university.

We probably could have stayed discussing things for hours, but I knew I had to get back to my dormitory room to get my new computer. They were important to have, and I didn't want to miss my appointment with the computer installer.

The man who installed it was named Mark. He had spikey hair (it's difficult to tell humans apart because they cover most of their bodies with clothes which they change all the time, and their skin color and mane color isn't very diverse so you have to pick up on more subtle clues like face shape and manestyle).

It's different than Peggy's. Her computer folds up, but mine is too big and it had lots of separate pieces. It's voice activated for most things, but it still has a button board that I have to use sometimes. The buttons are small and can't be pushed by hoof, although I can poke them with a pen held in my mouth. He told me that I would have to train the voice activation and that it would get better the more I used it.

He showed me how to turn it on, and then how to navigate around and open programs that can do things for me. The computer has a mailbox that lets me get letters from other people or ponies, and we had to set that up, and he also showed me how to get to Facebook. I could make bookmarks, so that the computer would remember what I wanted and it was quicker than having to put in the whole address to get the program.

I didn't get much time to work with it. Not long after he left, Peggy came back from her classes, and then we went to dinner together. The same sentry was at the podium, and she still insisted on seeing my plastic badge before I could go in. I can see how it would be difficult to know everyperson who is in line, but I am the only pony. It seems like that would be easy to remember.

PreviousChapters Next