• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
October 3 [Morning Fog]

October 3

I woke up kinda late, because we'd gotten home so late last night. And I thought it was earlier than it actually was, 'cause it was still kinda dusky in the room, but when I got out of bed and looked out the window, I saw that everything was fogbound.

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to fly in fog, although it was late enough in the morning that I wouldn't really have much time to fly anyway, not if I wanted to eat breakfast and take a shower. Although I thought I might skip the shower, since I hadn't done anything too physical all yesterday.

But even if I couldn't fly up in the air, because airplanes wouldn't be able to see me in the fog, I could go out and play with it, under the tops of the trees where the airplanes couldn't go, so I trotted down the hall and out the back door and onto the boardwalk and then flew over the edge of it, and started gathering up fog.

It was the thickest under trees and in shadows, where the sun hadn't started to evaporate it, so that's where I went, clumping it up into little clouds, and there wasn't any wind at all, so they just stayed where I left them.

A lot of ponies don't like the fog because it makes sound behave wrong, and masks scents and your vision, too, and that can be dangerous, but most pegasuses don't mind it because it's not very different from a normal cloud, it's just lower.

If you have to clear it, it's a lot of trouble, because when it's really thick you have to work slow so you don't bump into things. But we got coastal fogs a lot, and everypony was used to them, so we mostly left them alone, and they dispersed on their own.

Just like when I'd gotten my cloud stuck in a tree, the little clouds would stick to trees, too, if you got them tangled in enough branches, so I stuck a bunch of them to the trees in front of the chapel and then I got more ambitious and started to group them together into a bigger cloud, and then I decided that it would be a perfect time to try out my cloud-rope again. Since there was a lot of moisture down low, on account of the fog, it ought to last for longer.

So I flew up to our window and Peggy was awake, so I knocked on the glass, and she went and looked out the spyhole in the door before figuring out that the noise was coming from behind her, and then she came to the window and I had her lift up the screen and pass my cloud-rope through. She asked me what I was going to do with it so I told her I was going to tie a cloud to a tree like I'd wanted to do last quarter.

She said she was going to take a shower and then she'd come and look, so I looked around for a good tree and then I thought that maybe I could have the cloud be low enough for people to get on it, although I was a little bit worried it could be dangerous, and I couldn't decide if I should let anyone risk it.

Since I couldn't decide, I tied it to a lamppost instead, high enough up that nobody could grab the rope, and then I went and gathered more cloud pieces out of the fog to add to it. And it wasn't until I was looking around my cloud to see how well-formed it was and if I needed to add any more to the trailing edge ('cause I'd kind of been ignoring that) that I realized that there were a bunch of people watching me work and taking pictures and movies with their portable telephones. So I stuck my tongue out at them and jumped up on top of my cloud and bounced up and down on it a little bit to make a nice flat spot, then I looked down over the edge at everyone.

Someone asked me if people could ride the cloud, too,and I said that I didn't know what would happen, and I explained how clouds from above often have a lot of energy in them and so they can be dangerous for a pony to touch from the ground. I knew it wasn't safe with a normal cloud from up high, but this one had been made by myself from ground fog, so it should have the same potential as the ground, I thought.

Nobody who was watching knew, so I decided that it was safest not to let anybody on my cloud until we'd figured that out. I think the best way to try it would be to put the cloud over a swimming pool, and have people jump onto it, that way they'd never be touching the cloud and the ground at the same time, and if it didn't hold them, they'd just fall into the swimming pool.

We should have tried that at the hotel. I bet we could have got enough water up off the pool to make a cloud with a whole weather team working at it. Or maybe that was a bad idea—maybe that was why the pool at the hotel in Texas had been broken. Maybe the weather team had tried it.

I probably would have kept playing with my cloud except that Peggy reminded me that I had to go to class. And I wanted to leave my cloud and see how long it might last, but I wasn't sure that I should leave it tied to a light pole. Somebody might go up with a pair of scissors and cut my rope off and let the cloud drift away, and then I'd lose my rope, too. So I untied it and then flew up to let the cloud out of its lasso. It stayed put, 'cause there wasn't any wind to blow it away, although I figured that it would probably be gone after class.

When I landed again Peggy said that we didn't really have time to eat, since it was only about fifteen minutes until class started. I guess I should have been paying better attention to the time instead of playing with my cloud.

So I went up to our room and snacked on a little bit of hay which was definitely past its prime, and then gathered my books and went off to thermodynamics class.

Professor Brown started class by telling us more about heat engines, and the first engine he told us about was called the Carnot engine, and Austin raised his hand and asked if he'd invented it. He said that he had, and that it was patented, and every time we mentioned it in homework or put it in our notes we owed him a dollar.

Then he drew out a graph of the engine, and showed us all the equations for all the different points, and explained how the only way you could make the efficiency reach one was if the cold reservoir was at absolute zero, which you couldn't get to.

The next thing he showed us was the equations for an electric icebox, and how we could figure out its efficiency, because that was a real application of the heat engine. And that was really neat, because I didn't know how they worked and I still didn't know exactly how but now I knew the rules that let it make cold.

And then he tricked us by drawing a diagram of two heat engines side-by-side, and one's output ran the other backwards, which he said made it seem like the two engines would cancel each other out and then the work would be zero, but heat was moving the wrong way and that meant that it couldn't be zero. I couldn't figure out why just by looking at his formula, and I thought that professors ought not write up formulas that weren't true because that could confuse ponies.

At least he had enough time before class was over to show us why it wasn't true. But I was still kind of mad that he'd tried to trick us. And I wasn't sure if I actually owed him a dollar for putting it in my notes, either, so I asked him on the way out of class and he said that he'd made that up, it was just coincidence that he had the same name as the cycle, which had been invented well over a hundred years before he was born.

When I got out of the Dow building, I flew up and over Dewing, and when I got high enough to see where my cloud had been, it was gone. I'd kind of expected it to be, but it was still kind of sad that it had disappeared. There were plenty more clouds in the sky, but no more fog on the ground.

I had a little bit of a stomach ache, 'cause the hay I'd eaten for a morning snack had been kind of stale, plus I'd eaten it a lot quicker than I should have, and that kept distracting me as I worked on my thermodynamics homework. I should have known better; I could have sat through thermodynamics hungry and then eaten a normal lunch like a smart pony. Everypony always said to not bolt your food, and I'd even told new weathermares that before. You could give yourself colic, maybe even bad enough that you couldn't fly until you got better.

Stretching out and relaxing my wings helped, plus walking around the room, so I flexed my wings while I was working on a problem, then I'd get out of the chair and walk a couple of laps around the room, and then sit back down to do the next problem.

And when lunchtime came, I wasn't sure if I should eat. I'd be kind of miserable in the afternoon if I didn't, but I might be even more miserable if I did, so I didn't know what to do.

When I sat down, Peggy and Christine both noticed that I didn't have much food on my plate—just some salad and a piece of bread—and asked about it and so I said that I had a stomachache, and Peggy swore that the best thing for that was a Jamocha milkshake from Arby's, but it wasn't something that we could get in the dining hall. Christine thought that ginger was good, and she said that maybe I could drink some Vernors because that had lots of ginger in it. And Sean said that bland food was the best, and I already had the cure on my plate.

So I picked at my food and Christine brought me a cup of Vernors and I sipped at it but the bubbles were too tingly for my nose, and so she tapped it on the table a couple of times to let the bubbles get away, and it was a lot better then, although it was still too sugary.

And after that everyone got to talking, and that distracted me from my grumbling stomach. Since Anna and Reese hadn't gone to the airshow, we had to tell them all about it, and both Christine and Sean had taken some movies with their portable telephones that they could show everyone.

I had to help with the names of the ponies on the weather team, 'cause nobody else could remember all of them.

When Sean showed a movie that he had taken from inside of us all watching the race, Anna said that we looked kind of like big pigeons, the way that we were all lined up at the balcony and sometimes a pony or two would fly off to get a different position, or up to the roof or wherever, and I thought that was kind of insulting but I guess we did do that, and now that she'd pointed it out, it was a lot like watching the birds at the feeder, all changing around their order all the time.

They also found some movies of the Wonderbolts performing, and it was neat to see it from a different angle. And their cameras had lenses on them that let them look really close at ponies, even when they were flying, and so they'd gotten a couple of closeups of everypony on the team.

I felt a little better after lunch, even though I hadn't eaten much, so maybe the Vernors had worked.

Me and Sean went to math class together, and we were still working with the same contour plots. Sean said that the figure-eight plot looked kind of like Madonna's boobs. I hadn't seen them, so I didn't know if that was true. But I guess from the top they did look kind of like breasts, and I kind of wondered if I could figure out an equation for my teats. Maybe I could figure that out and put it into Equestrian, just for fun.

He spent most of the class talking about saddle points and critical points and degenerate critical points, and there were lots of equations to write down, which meant he had to wipe off the markerboard a lot.

So he told us how we wanted to look at second derivatives, and how we could use them to figure out local minimums and maximums, or if it was a saddle point, or if we couldn't decide from them, because sometimes you couldn't tell.

And that led us to what humans called the quadratic equation and the quadratic approximation, which I knew but not the way that humans did it, and I felt like a genius when I finally realized what he was explaining.

After he'd gotten done explaining it all, he put up another equation that we had to figure out to make sure that everyone understood, and it didn't take too long for me to calculate it out. He'd used easy numbers, so I didn't have to write anything down, which was nice.

We went back to Sean's room after class so that we could work on homework, and he finished before me 'cause it was hard to focus when my stomach kept grumbling at me, and 'cause I got up a couple times and walked up and down the hall. I don't know why, but moving around when you've got a stomachache really helps with it. Maybe it moves stuff around inside, or something. You can't go fast, but a nice slow walk really helps.

So when it was time to go over our homework I didn't pull the chair across, but I stayed on my hooves instead, and I kind of walked in place a little bit. Not too much,' cause he said that the clopping of my hooves on the tile was a little distracting. And I had to put my forelegs up on the desk anyways to really look at the problems.

I must have been more distracted than I thought, 'cause I'd gotten three problems wrong, and so I had to go back and fix them.

Once we were both satisfied with our answers, I left and I should have gone back to my room and read more of Matthew, but I thought that a nice long walk would make my belly feel better, so I walked up the hill and then through my old neighborhood and I wasn't really planning to but I wound up at Jeff's house, and it was late enough in the afternoon that all the kids were home, so they got permission to go Pokemon-hunting with me. And I told them all about the airshow and Caleb thought it was really cool that I'd gotten to meet some of the Wonderbolts because he'd seen a whole program about them on television.

We didn't find anything new in the neighborhood, which was too bad. Caleb said that somebody had put out a lure near one of Western's dorms, but they weren't allowed to go there, although when his sisters weren't paying attention he said that he had once anyways but I shouldn't tell anyone. So I promised that I wouldn't.

After we'd wandered around for a while, Lindy got a telephone telegram from Jeff saying that it was time for them to go back home for dinner and homework, so I went with them back to their house and I was feeling a lot better so I gave Trinity a ponyback ride most of the way there. It was a little awkward since I was still wearing my saddlebags, but it worked out okay.

And once I'd said my goodbyes and promised to come by again soon, I went back to campus and I could have taken off my saddlebags in our room, especially since I walked right by Trowbridge, but my coat was kind of matted and sweaty under them, so I decided to leave them on instead, and worry about it after dinner.

Even though my stomach felt a lot better, I ate a pretty light dinner, too, since I didn't want it to start hurting again. Hopefully in the morning, I'd be back to normal.

When me and Peggy were walking back to our room, she asked me why I'd still been wearing my saddlebags, and so I told her it was because I'd gone straight from Sean's room to go looking for Pokemons and hadn't had time to take them off after. And then when we got up into our room and the door was closed and I'd taken my saddlebags off, she crouched down in front of me and asked me if I was trying to move in on Sean.

That kind of took me by surprise. He was kind of cute, I guess, and he was funny and I liked him as a friend, but I'd never considered him like that. Until recently, I hadn't really known him all that well anyway, and we hadn't really spent much time together, although we'd spent a lot more time together since we were both taking the same math class and doing homework with each other.

And I didn't think that he was giving me any signs that he was interested in me like that, although it was kind of hard to tell with humans.

So I explained to Peggy that it wasn't like that at all, and she said that was what she thought but she just wanted to hear it from me. And she said that I couldn't tell anyone that we'd had this conversation because sometimes for humans just rumors of being unfaithful or thinking unfaithful thoughts could damage the relationship, and she also said that she thought some girls might get upset that I was spending time alone with their men especially because I was naked all the time and showing off my junk.

I promised her that I wouldn't tell anybody and that I wasn't trying to have sex with Sean, because I'd found out it was hard enough with just Aric and Meghan.

And then I thanked her again for driving us all the way to the airshow and back and letting me have dinner with the Wonderbolts, and she got kind of embarrassed and said that it had been a lot of fun although a little bit chaotic, and she said that Gusty was really cute in the morning and it was really strange seeing her in underwear.

I said that I'd tried on a pair of her underwear and I didn't like it, 'cause it made me too hot, and Peggy found that really funny.

Then I packed up my flying gear, and went to the closet and sniffed my haybox and I must have been really starving and stupid to not have noticed the smell in the morning, because it wasn't just stale, but it was just starting to turn bad, so I took the box outside and shook out what was left on the grass—it wouldn't mind the hay at all—and I asked her if it would be okay to get a new bale that would last me for the rest of the year.

She said that I could but wanted to know how I was going to get it to the dorm, and I said that the woman who grew it had a big truck that could carry lots of haybales and last time she'd just brought them to my apartment. Or I could go to the Farmer's Market with Aric, and he could bring one back in Winston and then help carry it up for me. And I could ask him tonight.

I put my saddlebags back on, and nuzzled her goodbye, 'cause I was going to Durak and then Aric's house and so I wouldn't be back until the morning.

I walked most of the way there, but I did fly a couple of blocks just to stretch out my wings. Not too high; right about at human head-level. And when I got close to Westnedge, I saw a whole group of my friends all walking together, so flew just over them and then landed in front of them and we all walked the rest of the way there together.

Instead of getting anything to drink, I got a blueberry scone instead, and I kind of picked at it a little bit while we were playing. It was kind of dry, but tasted pretty good.

Me and Aric got to tell everyone about our weekend, too, which was a lot of fun. It might have been a little bit boring for Reese and Anna, 'cause they'd heard about it at lunch and dinner, but for everyone else it was new.

I got too distracted talking about the airshow and wound up losing a game when I forgot that the trump kings were still out there, and Alex had a pretty big smile on his face when he dropped one on me and then when I played my last trump card he put the second one down and then I had to pick everything back up again, and he played a three of clubs and went out, because he had been waiting for me to make that mistake. But I hadn't had a choice; all I'd had left were the kings and a couple of trump cards.

We left kinda late, and when we were driving home I asked Aric if he wanted to come to the Farmer's Market with me on Thursday and pick up a haybale, or if he'd rather have me have the lady who grew the hay just deliver it, and he said that he could go with me because what was the fun of having a pickup truck if you could never carry things in it.

And he let me steer and shift when we got to Dartmouth, and I did better this time. I still thought he needed a grippier knob on the end of the stick.

Both of us were pretty tired, even though he'd gotten home earlier than me he said that he hadn't slept all that much at the hotel because he never slept really well at hotels. But we weren't too tired to have some fun before we went to sleep, and so I helped him get undressed and then pushed him into bed and pushed him down and nipped his shoulder when he tried to get up.

PreviousChapters Next