• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
December 22 [Botanic Gardens]

December 22

Me and Aquamarine had a rude awakening. The train just stopped really fast and it was a good thing that our bed was front to back, 'cause we might have fallen out otherwise.

It was still dark outside although we were probably near a town, 'cause there were some lights I could see through the trees by the tracks, and I faintly heard a crossing signal clanging although listening through the window I couldn't tell if it was in front of the train or behind it.

Neither of us was sure why we'd stopped, and the conductor wasn't announcing that we were at a station. Aquamarine said that maybe the locomotive had broken, but I thought if it had the train would have coasted to a stop, and then I thought that maybe one of the cars had come off the tracks, but she said it was really bumpy when that happened, 'cause the wheels bounced on the wooden crossties.

So we were both a little bit confused by it. And the train didn't get moving, either; it just stayed where it was and even with our muzzles pushed up to the window we couldn't see anything.

Well, then Aquamarine thought to open our door and look out the windows on the other side which I should have thought of myself. We didn't see anything out them, either.

We knew that you couldn't see anything looking forward, 'cause there were baggage cars in front of the coaches and then the locomotives, and you weren't allowed up there. But we could go to the back and see if there was anything behind us or maybe we'd see that one of the aft cars had come off the rails and maybe they were just so big that we couldn't feel it in front. So we went down to the other end of the train and we weren't the only ones who'd had that idea, 'cause there were lots of people that were in the aisles and looking around trying to figure out why the train had stopped so suddenly.

When we got to the last car, there was a little crowd of people around the window so we weren't going to be seeing anything that way. We did notice that all the cars were level and still in line, which meant that they were probably still on the tracks.

So we went back forward towards our room, and Mister Barrow was out in the hall standing by our room and he was kind of surprised to see us coming down the aisleway.

We asked him if he knew why the train stopped and he said that he didn't but he was making calls and he had been a little bit worried when he'd knocked on our door and we hadn't been in our room, so we told him that we'd been looking around the train and that we thought that all the cars in the back were on the tracks still.

Since we didn't think we were going to find out anything on our own, we went back to our room and it was a little bit early to be up but too late to go back to sleep, so Aquamarine folded the bed back up and we sat on the chairs and looked out the window but there wasn't anything to see out there.

Mister Barrow knocked on our door after about ten minutes and he said that they thought they might have hit a trespasser on the tracks but they weren't sure, and we couldn't go until they figured it out. And then we sat there until it had started to get light out and then the train blew its horn and I heard the air hissing as the brakes were released and it started to move again.

The train crept ahead kind of slowly for a little bit and then it accelerated hard enough to rock us in our seats a little bit, and I noticed that the engineer was blowing his horn a lot more. I guess he was trying to make sure that no more trespassers got in front of the train.

I got up and went to Mister Barrow's room and knocked on the door and Miss Parker answered 'cause he wasn't there and she said that he'd gone back to talk to the conductor some more but as far as she knew they hadn't found anyone who had been hit by the train, which was good, and when he came back he said the same thing. He said that the conductor had looked first and then the police had helped him look and they hadn't found anyone.

We were glad that nobody had gotten hurt by the train, even if they shouldn't have been on the tracks in the first place.

I was kind of familiar with our route, 'cause I'd taken this train before, and I told Aquamarine that we were going to see an airport with green Air Force airplanes and pretty soon we did. And that was where we needed to make sure that we were packed and ready to go, which didn't take us too long, and we went down to the vestibule to wait.

Neither one of us had taken a shower and we probably should have but we didn't know what time the train was going to arrive in Washington, and we hadn't wanted to be half-washed and then have to leave the train.

When we were at the train station, we put all our luggage in a locker and then ate our breakfast at Pret-A-Manger again, which still had cage-free eggs and fair trade coffee. And then we had to decide what we wanted to do for some of the day, 'cause we didn't have to be back at the station until the afternoon when the next train would take us back home.

We didn't decide right away, though, 'cause the train station had a really big Christmas tree in it that was really pretty, and they had a model train, too. There was a sign that said that it was a gift from Norway, which was really nice of them. Maybe Julenissen had brought it for them.

There was a lot to see in Washington, and it was hard to decide what to do. Aquamarine wanted to see the Botanic Gardens, and that sounded like fun to me, too, so we got on the mini-Marc and rode it to the National Mall, and we got out pretty close to the Capitol and had to walk the rest of the way.

She knew it before I even saw the signs, 'cause it had big glass domes so that the plants could get light while staying warm, and the domes were even tall enough for trees to be inside.

Their front gallery was really pretty, and it had little pools down the center and then plants everywhere and it was kind of strange to think that we were inside. The tops of the trees hung over the courtyard, so they mostly hid the roof and after a little while you didn't really notice that it was there, and besides there were lots of really interesting plants to look at and smell.

They had a big model train layout there, too, and there was a blue locomotive with a face on the front who was called Thomas and was famous, because he was on television. And they also had a river serpent train which was kind of funny, 'cause his head and neck was the locomotive, and then every car after that had an arch of his body until the very last one which had his tail. If you looked from a kind of low angle you couldn't see the train cars and it looked like he was swimming through all the plants.

We went into the jungle room next and it was kind of hot and humid in there, which was how the plants liked it and I would have liked it more if I didn't have my winter coat. Lots of people had taken off their jackets because of the heat.

There were railings to keep people from getting too close to the pants, but some of them were sticking through the railings trying to spread out, and there was one called a Ferocious Blue Cycad that we thought we should stay a little bit back from. We weren't sure why it was ferocious but thought it was best to be cautious. And there was another plant called a corpse flower and I didn't like that too much but Aquamarine was pretty fascinated with it. The sign said that it only bloomed every now and then and it had last bloomed in August, and when it did it smelled like a dead animal and that would attract bugs to pollinate it. Most flowers could do that by looking pretty and smelling nice but this one wanted to bring flies and other bugs that liked dead animals.

Miss Parker told us that there was a balcony overhead so we could get a top view of the jungle room and Aquamarine said that she wanted to see that, but then she got distracted by the doors that led to the medicinal plants and went that way instead of up.

Aquamarine looked at the medicinal plants and told me what they were all for. Not all of them were good for ponies but some of them were, and she was always looking for some human plant ponies didn't know about. Each one of the plants had a little sign next to it which said what it was called in English and also gave its fancy Latin name, and then said where it came from and what it could be used for.

There was a whole room full of orchids next to that and some of them were blooming and were very pretty. They were all different colors and some of them had spotty petals and it was kind of frustrating that a lot of them were too far back from the aisle to smell them properly. We weren't supposed to go off the path but I thought that maybe I could fly over to them and not touch the ground but Mister Barrow said that that was probably against the rules. He said that we were supposed to keep our hooves on the paths.

After that was a little room that had rare and endangered plants, and there were signs that explained where they were from and why they were at risk, and said what the curators of the museum were doing to preserve them so that people would have them in the future. I thought that was really smart of them, and so did Aquamarine. Plants are not only food for us, but they also give other animals food and places to live.

That led out to the main courtyard again, and we went across it to a room of primeval plants which were mostly different kinds of ferns, and they spit spores in the air to make more plants. I told Aquamarine that I had learned how to make a fractal fern, and if I had a good picture of one I might be able to figure out the formula for its leaf. She said that plants didn't grow by math, and I said that that wasn't what Professor Sir Doctor Banerjee had said.

Some of the plants in there were a lot like the ones that the dinosaurs might have seen, and maybe even eaten! If I'd known that before, I would have told Christine that when she was being a Tyrannosaurus Rex, she should eat ferns.

And that was right next to a room with plants from Hawaii, which were all different from other plants 'cause Hawaii was a volcanic island and so the first plants had to figure out how to grow in rock, and then they had evolved all on their own without being able to breed with other plants. Aquamarine said that was why islands were so interesting because a lot of them had plants growing on them that didn't grow anywhere else. She said that Madagascar was really famous because of that.

Then we went into a room that was a desert, and it had lots of funny cactuses. I didn't like them too much 'cause most of them had spines on them so you couldn't eat them, and Aquamarine said that was because they were smart and didn't want to be eaten. And she said that there were some kinds of animals that had figured out how to eat them anyways.

Once Aquamarine was satisfied that she'd seen all the plants from downstairs we went up to the catwalks and looked down on the jungle room. And Aquamarine really liked that; she said that it gave her a different perspective on the taller plants 'cause she was used to looking at them with her hooves on the ground and not from above.

I said that I thought you could tell a lot from how they looked from up above. We could fly over a pasture and see where the best, tenderest grasses were and land right there, instead of having to go through the field and find them that way, and sometimes miss them completely. That was really important when it was early or late in the season and food was hard to find, too. Although I guess Earth ponies have a good sense of that and can probably tell by feeling the ground and talking to the plants.

She said when she got back to Ponyville she was going to get Cherry Berry to take her up in her balloon and she could look over her family's farm from a pegasus' perspective.

By the time we were done looking around the botanic gardens, we were both pretty hungry, and all the plants that we weren't allowed to eat only made it worse. If Aquamarine hadn't been so fascinated by all of them I would have suggested that we get lunch earlier, but since we'd only had a little bit of time to look at it, I thought I could skip lunch.

We didn't have a lot of time to eat a late lunch before we went back to the train station, but Mister Barrow said that there was a bar that was close to the mini-Marc stop that he liked, and it was called Bullfeathers which was a really funny name.

I got a crab cake and Aquamarine got hummus, and we also both had Angry Orchard cider with our dinner. Aquamarine said that Sweet Apple Acres made the best cider, which was a lot better than this. She said that that was one thing she missed from Ponyville and her parents sent her a couple of bottles every year but this year she hadn't gotten any 'cause you couldn't send food or drinks back and forth. That was against the rules.

When we got to our train, it was a Superliner again, and we had a suite upstairs, which meant that Aquamarine's helpers got one room and we got the other and there was a door between them so we didn't have to go out in the hallway when we wanted to talk, which was nice. It was going to be helpful in the morning, too, 'cause we were going to have to get off the train really early: they wanted to get out in Toledo, and drive us back from there, because that was the most convenient stop.

As soon as we'd taken off our saddlebags, I wanted to go to the Viewliner to look around but Aquamarine reminded me that we weren't going to have time to shower tomorrow morning and if we didn't want to go to bed with wet coats, we ought to do it now, and she was right, so we both crowded into our tiny little shower and did the best that we could. I didn't like it very much because it was tiny for one pony and with both of us together we could barely move and I don't know how humans could use it at all. At least we didn't have to worry about getting knocked off our hooves when the train jolted, 'cause there wasn't enough room to fall down.

Mister Barrow came to our room to check on us and see when we wanted to eat dinner and since Aquamarine was closest to the bathroom door she pushed it open a little bit to talk to him and he was kind of embarrassed because I guess seeing somepony in a shower is embarrassing for humans.

We thought that since we'd just eaten a late lunch, we'd eat dinner late, too, and she told him about our plan to go to the Viewliner, and he said that he'd go there and save us some seats and we could just find him when we were done.

So once we were clean and partially dry, we went up to the Viewliner and he had kept seats for us like he'd said that he would.

He could have just kept one and we could have shared but I was glad that he'd saved two because that gave me enough room to stretch out my wings and preen them.

We were following along the river and I remembered from before that the train couldn't decide if it wanted to be in Virginia or Maryland and sometimes it would cross over the river and change states and then cross again and be back where it had started, so I told Aquamarine about that and she thought it was pretty funny, and before too long we were saying which state we were in each time we crossed the river.

I pointed out the railroad tie and telephone factory to Aquamarine as we passed by it, and she'd never seen anything like it. I'd only thought about how many craftsponies it would take to make the ties and poles, but she thought about how many it would take to cut down that many trees and then bring them all to the factory and that was something I hadn't even thought about.

We got out of the train in Cumberland, 'cause it had a long stop there, and that gave us a chance to stretch out our legs some. And when we got back on, we went right to the dining car and had our dinner.

Our seats in the Viewliner had been taken while we were eating dinner, so we went back to our room and watched as the train started to climb into the mountains from there. It was following along the river mostly, 'cause that was the easiest path, and it was really pretty. There was snow on the mountains which hadn't been there when I went through a few months ago.

We didn't get to admire it for too long, though, 'cause the sun had already been down when we'd finished dinner and it didn't take very long before it was dark and you couldn't see too much out the window except for the lights of houses and the small towns that we passed through every now and then. I think it would be nice if there was a train that stopped at night, so that people could see the scenery during the day. And that way, they could have more Viewliner cars instead of sleeping cars.

Since we had to get up early tomorrow and there wasn't anything to see, me and Aquamarine got the conductor to put our bed down for us so we'd have sheets and blankets tonight, then we told Mister Barrow to wake us up in the morning and he said that he would, and then we cuddled up in bed together.

PreviousChapters Next