• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
April 3 [homework day]

April 3

Sunday could have been a repeat of Saturday, except that I still had homework to do: I hadn't gotten it all done Friday. So when I got up I put on my flight clothes and called the airplane controller for clearance. I was still in the bedroom and Aric was leaning on an elbow listening to me, and he said that it was pretty strange to listen to me asking for permission to fly, especially since I hadn't yesterday.

I felt a little bad about that, but I'd stayed low over the water and kept an eye out for airplanes.

So I told him that I was being responsible like he was responsible last night in not driving Winston home, and he sighed and said that he'd forgotten that he'd left it on campus. I said that if I knew how to drive a truck I could bring it back to him, and he said that would be really funny to see but you needed a special license to operate a vehicle.

Humans don't let you do anything without a special permit. It's kind of dumb, but there are probably lots of rules that you need to know in order to drive.

Aric said that there were places with little cars called go-karts and that I could try driving one of those. He didn't think that any of those places were open yet because of the weather, but when they were it would be fun to go out to a track and race.

I thought so, too, and I decided that I would pay more attention to how to drive when I was riding in cars.

The sky was clear today, and almost all the snow from yesterday was melted already. I flew west out of town and across the 131 Highway until I got to the Kal-Haven trail, which went all the way to South Haven. I'd kind of made up my mind that one day I was going to fly all the way there and back, but that would be a full day trip, and I didn't have time for it today, so I only went a few roads down the trail and then back again.

The only people I saw on the trail were a pair of women who were jogging together, and I flew down and greeted them before flying on. I would have greeted them again on the way back, but they were nowhere to be seen, so they must have turned off on one of the roads that crossed the trail.

When I went into our room to put away my flight gear Peggy said that I smelled a little different than normal, and she wondered if I was wearing some kind of perfume or had changed to a different shampoo and I told her that I was in estrus because it was the spring even if the weather wasn't behaving.

She said that it was weird that it made me smell different, and I said that I thought it was weird that humans could smell it in ponies but that they couldn't smell sexual changes in each other. I asked if it bothered her and she said that it didn't, it was just different.

I took my shower and then the two of us went to breakfast together, and then it was time to get to work.

I started off on my essay for anthropology, thinking that whenever I got stuck I could take a break from it and do some math. I had decided that I would stick with what kind of food they ate, and where they found it and how they prepared it. Obviously, the easiest way to find out would be to just go into the village and start eating meals with them, but sometimes when you were a guest you ate different things than your hosts normally would. If I ate in a different place than everybody else, I could just smell around the other houses and see what kinds of food I smelled, and if it smelled the same as what I was eating, which would be a start.

I thought that once I'd established myself with them at least a little bit, they would return to their normal diet, especially if they were foraging. Usually that means that you can't keep a lot of extra food around because it doesn't always keep for long, so you eat things when they're available and then move on to the next food source.

If they didn't move their settlement around, that meant that there was ample food year-round for them, or they had some way of preserving it for the lean season. So that would be something good to know, too. According to the map with the pamphlet, their town was near a river, so maybe they fished. That was something I could look for, too: fishing tools.

I could verify what they ate by going out on foraging trips with them, to see what they picked and what they didn't. I thought that they might find me useful, since I could fly and maybe get to things that they couldn't, and I could also search a wider area.

However, if they weren't so willing to show me where they gathered food—because maybe they were afraid that if I knew, I might steal it from them—I could also watch from a cloud perch and see where they went when they thought I wasn’t around. But that was kind of risky, because if they saw me then they probably would be suspicious of me from then on.

I thought overall it was a pretty good plan, and so I sort of got all my thoughts in order and started writing it.

By the time I was done, my voice was tired—it was a lot of work talking to my computer—and so I turned off the microphone and was about to start on my math homework when Peggy said that it sounded like it was a good time for a break, so I helped her put all her laundry in the washing machine and we sat in the laundry room and talked while we were waiting for it to be done so that it could go in the dryer.

Overall, that took about two thirds of an hour, and once it was safely in the dryer she set an alarm on her telephone and we went back to our room to do more work.

I'd gotten done with my math and was checking over my answers when her alarm went off, and once everything was put away in her room I asked Peggy if she would read over my essay because she was better at English than I was, and she said only if I would check over her math homework, which was a fair exchange.

Since we couldn't do both at the same time—neither of us would learn if we simply corrected each other's mistakes without discussing why it was wrong—she threw a coin up in the air which is how humans often decide things. She won, so I started pushing my chair over to her desk, then she said that was a silly way to do it, and she told me to sit on my bed, and she'd sit next to me.

I didn't think she could write like that, because paper is not very stiff, but she was smart enough to bring her math textbook so that she could make a little lap desk out of it.

She did pretty well; only a couple of mistakes and they were sort of dumb mistakes: once I pointed them out she saw what she'd done wrong and fixed it. And it was a good for me, too, because it was more practice on how humans write math.

Then she took her turn reading over my paper and she had some stuff to correct, but not a whole lot, and she said that she thought all the writing I was doing in my journal was probably really helping me with English. I said that I had bought a new notebook at Meijer because I'd almost filled the one I had and she didn't believe me, so I showed her that there were hardly any pages left in it.

After dinner was over, I caught up on my computer mail. Gusty had sent me a letter formally inviting me to her play, and because human computers couldn't write Equestrian she had written it out in horn-writing and then taken a picture of it and included that, which was something I hadn't thought of doing.

I showed Peggy, who couldn't read it at all, and then told her what it was about, and she said that sounded interesting. Then I sent a computer letter to Mister Salvatore telling him about it because it would probably be easier for him to arrange for trains than it would be for me.

When that was done, I asked Peggy how to put a proper letter into my computer as a picture, and she showed me how to do it with her printer which could also take pictures of papers and make more of them or put them in computers. That was really clever of it.

I read about what my friends were doing on Facebook for a little while, and then I thought it was time to go to bed so that I'd be well-rested for the morning. Peggy turned off the lights in the room, except for the little one on her desk, and when I got into bed I thought how strange it felt to be alone. I’d gotten spoiled over the last week, spending most nights sleeping with Aric or Meghan, and I thought that I could go over to Meghan’s and ask to stay but then I decided I probably shouldn’t come over unannounced this late at night.

PreviousChapters Next