• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,535 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,535

PreviousChapters Next
The Creed of the Knife 02

Ponies and humans think in a very similar way; beyond their physiology things aren’t that different in the way both species thought. Yes, ponies tended to get much more agitated than humans due to the herd mentality while the bipeds were faster in their reactions and the way they fought back shock, trauma and stress. I think that even when I have the look of a pony I am noting more than a human pretending to be the colorful little unicorn that I was once.

Removing the knife from the head of my latest target I stood watching the vacant eyes of the once mighty queen of a whole species. The eyes are the worst part, and I know that I will never be able to forget each and every pair that I had to see after something like this. Her face was now forever etched in a look of desperation and fear, as a last act I close Chrysalis’ eyes, praying for forgiveness to a god that so long ago had forsaken me. I know I’m well beyond redemption but I don’t care, if not I no one would take to the rafters to stop the pain.

Behind me I can feel the precious sun inundating this room as outside the sound of hundreds of wings can be heard. The wings of the drones and soldiers of Chrysalis are confused, lost like little kids that had gotten lost in a mall. Sadly for them mommy will never come get them. I feel their sadness and terror in the air, and I don’t feel triumphant. I know Chrysalis had to fall to avoid more blood and darkness but I still make my soul darker and darker each time I had to use the knife hidden under my robe.

“Who-who are you?” Then I hear her voice, the one pony I never wanted to meet because if I see her face to face I will do something drastic… or nothing at all. I even surprised myself as I continued watching outside the window and the way the changelings were surrendering in masse. One war won with just one knife.

“It cannot be… Sunset?” The lucky bride then talked; from all of them she would be the only one to recognize me, what a surprise. Seems that my beloved teacher truly erased me from my own home. I turn around but instead of answering her I just look at Celestia.

“You did… an excellent job; I just wish it didn’t come to this.”

“You lie Celestia; if you didn’t want this you would have found another way. You are lucky that I was capable of catching the differences between you and her, if it weren’t for the maniacal laughter I could have attacked either of you.” I say with my patented ‘bad girl smirk’ making all the ponies in the room flinch or growl at me. It was so amusing they thought they looked tough and intimidating but the truth was that they just looked adorable.

“I see time has not changed your attitude my old student.”

“STUDENT?!” everyon-everypony screamed clearly surprised about the words of Celestia. Clever, she wanted me to introduce myself to my replacement and the band of nitwits she had with her. I don’t think so Celestia.

“What can I say? I had the best teacher for that.” We stay looking at each other, measuring each movement and truth not said. She is so carefully presenting herself as perfect that I can see the chinks in every part of her emotional armor. The end result is more comical than dramatic considering that Celestia’s horn is still slightly smoking.

With a simple blink from the princess I understand that Celestia is in no mood for another go with her least favorite student in her lifetime. Without giving her a second look I began to walk in the direction of the still open double door.

That’s when I felt the eyes of all the ponies present -guards included- as I began to walk outside of the room leaving behind the soon rotting corpse of Chrysalis; never looking back at the last of a long list of assassinations completed.

“Well, seeing that you forgot to even mention me to your latest student, I hope you didn’t forget about my own payment Celestia.” I say purposely calling her by her name with no title or nickname. Never again would I refer to her with anything else than her name; we would never be able to go back to what we were before, each of us made sure of that.

“I will see that everything is in order for when you leave the palace.”

“Leave? Aunty, what are you saying? What is going on? Sunset, where have you been?” under my white hood I know that my face shows how much confusion I feel at that moment. Cadence is not only asking something like that but worried at the same time? What’s going on in the world?

“Wait, what? Cadenza, I-”

“Sunset, call me Cadence… please.” I simply sigh as the rest of the guests are as shocked as I am right now.

“Sure, Cadence, look, I was exiled okay? I was thrown out of the castle with clear orders of never coming back, but guess what? Princess dearest here decided to hire the best assassin to get rid of a bug. Said assassin was me. And you want to know what the greatest thing was? She says that once I finish my job I need to leave again because I’m still exiled, how about that?”

“I never said that!”

“Oh please, you told me that I had to be fast because you didn’t know how long the mirror would be opened.”

“Mirror?” My replacement asked -there was no way I will ever say her name, not even in my head- as Cadence took hold of my hood with one of her hooves -the whole suit was magic repellant, including my body thanks to one extremely nice Zebrican spray- and pulled it off from my face. Then I heard the gasp from Cadence as we took a look at each other for the first time in years.

“Sunset, your face!” She asked softly tracing the scar that runs from the bridge of my snout to my right cheek; it was even more impressive as a human.

“It was one last memory one of my first targets left me with; you should see the others ones that I have.” I try to joke but the only thing it does is make Cadence start to cry. I hate it when she cries.

“Sunset, I hereby decree that you are no longer in exile… and will attend my wedding, that’s a royal command.” Cadence says as two soft warm legs encircle my neck. For the first time in years I find myself in the one place I wanted and at the same time hated to be. In Cadence’s arms.

“Cadence, are you sure of what you are doing?”

“Celestia,” the pink princess starts shocking the other ponies even more “as a princess of Equestria I am in my right to pardon someone, even if I have to revoke another princess’ decree.”

“Look at that, cute little Cadence is all grown up now.” I simply said knowing right now that the wedding would be awkward as hell. What the hell am I supposed to say to the groom? ‘Hey, I was the one that was banging your wife before you’ is probably not the best.

PreviousChapters Next