• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,531 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,531

PreviousChapters Next
Who you gonna call? 01

Students visiting the college library were not a weird sight even at the digital age. No matter how much technology evolved through the years and how easy it was to search for information, articles and research material, there will always be hundreds of ancient and modern tomes that one would only be able to find on a library. That was the case for many students who simply wanted to finish an essay or dive for more information in a research of them.

What was happening that day in front of Canterlot University wasn’t that bizarre since there were three students very interested on what could be found inside the place. What was surprising is that none of those three young ladies were studying in the University but in Canterlot High School and they were not looking for reading material, well, not all of them.

Twilight Sparkle tried hard not to start salivating in front of the building filled to the brim with knowledge and instead took a look at the girl at her side -who by all means had the least amount of interest in places like this- and asked what they were all thinking.

“So, are you sure that what they said is true?” Of course, she was beat to the punch by none other than the other girl who Twilight knew would be as excited as her at the idea of visiting Canterlot U library “don’t take me wrong, I wanted to take a look at this place for some time, but, the whole ghost thing seems a little sketchy.”

“Yeah, I thought the same thing, but I swear there is a real ghost in there! Some people say that the old librarian was so into her job that when she died she continued doing her job. And now, at every summer break she appears to put books in order and read when no student will bother her.”

“Then, shouldn’t we leave her alone? I mean, if she is not hurting anyone then that means she is not evil, right?”

“It doesn’t work like that Sparky, because back in Equestria ghosts are kind of a big thing”

“Really? Why’s that?” Rainbow asked her friend with real curiosity. It was quite the day when Sunset finally talked about her old home dimension so it was quite a big deal to hear more stuff about magical ponies.

“Ghosts and the like are not that weird on Equestria, the problem with them is that the longer they remain on the mortal plane they start losing cohesion.”

“Okay, what? I have no idea what you mean.”

“Ghosts are usually created with energy that is always in flux, that’s why they seem see-through; I suppose you can call it ectoplasm since your sci-fi movies call it that. The point is, the longer they spend in the mortal plane they lose ectoplasm and the more they lose the faster they start losing their reasoning until-“

“Until they become horror movie ghosts?”

“… yeah, let’s go with that.” Sunset said remembering some of the stuff she had read back in Equestria about ghosts losing their minds and attacking their families and anyone with bad luck around them. She wasn’t sure if things would work like that in here but it was better to keep in mind some of that stuff.

With the Equestrian information in their minds, the three teenagers went inside the old building with a mission on their hands. Find out any proof about the supposed ghost and then confirm if it was benign or if it was in need of some exorcism.

And there, among several rows of bookcases, silently perusing a book about radioactivity, there was a woman with a tight bun and non-descript dress who was also floating in mid-air as the three girls stood gawking at the obvious ghost in front of them.

Twilight Sparkle watched the readings of her old radar while trying to contain her glee at what they had found. It was true that her pendant was a stronger version of the handheld radar she was currently using but after the whole Friendship Games fiasco she went back to the bulkier version. This time it worked even better since the apparatus with the two weird ‘antennae’ at the sides was capable of reading a bigger range of energy unlike the old one, who focused more in the ‘Magic of Friendship’ according to Sunset.

No matter the case, what they had in front of them was something that could revolutionize the way everyone saw death and spirits. If ghosts were real -and apparently had a huge amount of energy in them- then what else could they learn from this kind of situations.

Just as she and Rainbow Dash were becoming even more excited about the possibilities -just like science project or appearing in many magazines- they felt a hand holding one ear of each girls as they were hauled to the side. In front of them was a rather surprised Sunset too, but one who had better control about her reactions and who also seemed worried.

“Okay, so the ghost was real, does anyone have a plan?” Watching the way both girls didn’t want to meet Sunset’s eyes she then realized what was happening “so let me guess, beyond finding it there was no plan.” With the way Sunset was looking at them both Twilight and Rainbow felt a little silly for just going ahead without a plan “well, perfect. So what are we going to do? Just go ahead and talk with her?”

“Well-“

“Sparky, there are a thousand reasons why that’s a dumb idea and you know all of them- wait, where’s Rainbow?”

“Hey, Miss Librarian, how ya doin’?” The raspy voice of Rainbow took the other two girls by surprise and a quick glance showed the athletic girl standing in front of the ghost. Next thing they know, they are being chased by a demonic looking librarian through the empty corridors of the library.

It was quite the experience for Sunset Shimmer who was running alongside her two friends. She wasn’t so much afraid as she worried about their situation, she liked alive and unhurt thank you very much. Taking a quick turn Sunset then saw the library doors approaching, but then their freedom passage was blocked when the doors slammed shut and the three almost slammed against the wood barricade. Sunset threw the backpack she was wearing to the floor and began to rummage through it. Seeing her actions Rainbow screamed at her.

“Sunset! If you tell you are looking for a mirror to check if you won’t die with your make-up ruined I WILL kill you!”

“Who do you think I am, Rarity?! No, I’m working on us not dying!” Sunset said before taking a strange device from the inside that connected through a hose with something else also inside the backpack “Now, I’m not sure if this is going to work, but is better than nothing! Hey, idiot, try this for a change!” she said pressing a button on the device and an orange beam was shot impacting the ghost on the chest and stopping her in mid-air. It seemed to be working even though Sunset was having trouble controlling the beam and the ghost at the same time.

Watching this Twilight had an idea. If what Sunset had said then ghosts were some kind of energy in Equestria. What if what they had in front of them was also feeding on energy similar to the magic from Equestria? With that idea on mind Twilight searched through her own backpack and took out a very familiar circular device. Opening the latch the device worked like always and began to absorb the energy of the beam and the ghost all at the same time. With a couple of seconds the ghost found itself inside the device and Twilight had to let it go before she burned her hands.

“Sparky, are you alright?”

“Yeah, is just that it began to overheat” Twilight said as both teenagers took a look at the smoking device on the floor. For her part Rainbow stood mesmerized by what had just happened.

“That. Was. AWESOME! You guys caught a real to deal ghost! What the hell did you do Sunset?”

“Well, when you called us saying there was a high probability of a ghost I put together something similar to what guards use in Equestria against spirits, is kind of complicated, but I didn’t thought it would work in a human ghost.” Sunset said worried about what it could mean.

“Well, my device could capture like it did with Equestrian magic, what if more ghosts start appearing because of the energy?”

“Wait, you mean this could not be the only ghost appearing? Awesome!”

“Rainbow, how could you think any of this is awesome?”

“Come on Twilight, think about it, if more ghosts appear then we are the only ones that could deal with them, we will be some kind of… Ghostbusters! Yeah, we could even be heroes!” At those words Sunset groaned knowing that even crazier stuff would happen in the next days.

Author's Note:

So, tell me the truth, who did it better? Sony or me?

PreviousChapters Next