• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,522 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,522

PreviousChapters Next
The Devil of Canterlot High 01

Author's Note:

This goes to Diablo4000 who gave me the idea.

You were right Stick, all this time you were right. Telling me that my road would only lead to suffering and pain, I should have listened to you but then I let my own arrogance and ego guide me into the hole that I am now.

Guess I brought this upon myself, some kind of karma or maybe a cosmic joke. What are the chances that something like this would happen on any day? That a truck containing barrels of waste would be moving inside the city? Thankfully I was there at the right moment, better me than Fluttershy.

I remember when I opened my eyes at the hospital -just as they took away the bandages- I realized how scary darkness could be, but then something amazing happened, the world became something else, a place of infinite opportunities.

It wasn’t as if my eyes were functioning, oh no, the doctors have told me that my eyes were useless now, that the chemicals have simply burned my nerves and there was no way for me to see again.

Fluttershy was nice, if a little suffocating in her attentions, constantly being at the side of my bed, telling me about the happenings in Canterlot High, how the Principal and her sister were working on something for me to continue attending the school, how the kids that had been cheering my condition were beaten up by an enraged Rainbow Dash. Apparently she got a week suspension but the others had even worst luck once their parents knew the reason of the ass kicking, they all but went to their knees when they apologized in person.

-----

But among all the sadness of never being able to watch the world, Sunset didn’t fall into the darkness like last time, remembering the old man she have met once she arrived at this world, he was blind and still capable of so many things. Sunset had went back to find him after she was released from the hospital, she had to make sense of what was happening to her.

Her sight might have been gone but her other sense had gone out of control; the doctors –those hired by Principal Celestia once she found out Sunset had no medical care- told her that her senses would work extra hard in the absence of her sight, in compensation they said, but even though they were working perfectly Sunset knew there was something wrong with them.

Just take what happened the day after her release, when she went to talk with Principal Celestia about her studies and how the school pitched in to allow Sunset not only the ability to return, but the materials and equipment necessary for her to return. She still didn’t know if the football had been aimed at her or Fluttershy and she was sure the guy had received an earful from the rest of the team, but Sunset didn’t listen, she only focused on the way she had stretched her hand at the right moment to catch the ball in midair to grab it and protect Fluttershy.

Since that moment Sunset experimented as much as she could while she learned how to read Braille. Her senses might have been compensating in some way but nothing could have prepared her for the way her own body seemed to create a 3d map of everything around her.

Sunset didn’t know if it was eco-location like a bat or something more mysterious, although she quickly decided that like magic, this was not something so easily understood. That didn’t stop her from using her abilities every chance she could, from hearing what others were saying around her to the way she could sense every single dodge ball in the air, almost if suspended in the air before calculating where everything would hit and in what order.

During rush hour of students leaving their classes and moving to the next one, Sunset used the human wave coming at her and relished the experience of not only feeling every single individual, but to be able to dodge, avoid and move around them so quickly and smoothly that some people thought that she was faking her illness. Sunset just had to take off her new red sunglasses –courtesy of Rarity of course- and all of those that dared to suggest Sunset was lying quickly changed their tunes after witnessing the scars around the places where the toxic waste have landed.

So here she was, trying not to feel bad about herself and her situation, trying not to think of her future or what she would have to do now that these so-called Friendship Games were about to start, thinking what she could possibly do to help, to understand the way she could see the world without her eyes.

But she knew the answer to that; she knew what she had to do to make this city -this world- worth living for. She had asked Applejack to read her the news about the outcome of the hearings against the company that in the end had left her blind. She knew that the blonde girl would never be able to lie and would give her the full information.

In the end it was useless, the driver was sentenced to 10 years in prison and the CEO of the company where the toxic waste had originated from only got a fine, basically pocket change to him. It infuriated the redhead the way the system could simply forgive a man who had the gall to do something like that.

Maybe it was true that she had left behind the days of conquering and dark magic, but maybe it was true what they said. Maybe she was still a demon, Sunset thought while lightly touching the mask and the two horns on top of it.

PreviousChapters Next