• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 7,527 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Many Destinies of Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



The rules of the game have changed; now, the multiverse has been born, but it is in danger of being extinguished. One spark can create a storm and one Sun is the key to survival.

  • ...
33
 1,352
 7,527

PreviousChapters Next
The Legend of Celestia 01

I’ve had this dream before.

I’ve had it for weeks.

It always starts the same.

It is Canterlot but at the same time it isn’t.

A majestic castle where Princess Celestia rules over the whole country, but she isn’t the ruler, she is just the Princess, one who gives hope to everypony… everyone? The words scramble whenever I try to pay close attention.

It is Canterlot Castle, but is not build at the side of a mountain but in the middle of a huge field, surrounded by forests and lakes, a big mountain full of peril in the horizon and a desert full of great warriors.

At the beginning it is beautiful and peaceful, people everywhere talking, walking and buying stuff in the market; it always starts peaceful, but then the shadows appear and then the screams.

Everyone starts running from the shadows and the darkness that want to consume the whole world and rule over it; I never let it advance and hurt others, I stand in front of it ready to blast it away just like many times before when fighting against evil, but this time I find myself completely defenseless against the darkness, my magic completely gone and with no way to stop the darkness approaching.

For a second I hold my breath seeing the darkness stop completely, but the next my heart starts to beat in fear because from the shadows appear a creature standing on two legs, a huge sword on his hands and a smirk of superiority on his face. The creature reminded me of Sombra, but this creature always blew the Shadow King out of the waters in terms of height and intimidation, right now I felt lost and vulnerable, it was a feeling few times I felt before.

The creature, he just watched me tremble and raising his sword over his head he was ready to kill me, to end it all, to finally reign supreme on this world, but someone was always to stop the hit. A girl, a little older than me, wearing robes of green, a blue and silver shield over her head stopping the sword, but the one thing that I always remember are the pair of blue eyes and the hair as red and beautiful as a Sunset.

The shadows and darkness that covered Canterlot seemed to evaporate whenever she arrived, as if her mere presence defeated darkness and evil, and just as she smiled at me I felt the real world calling me, leaving behind this woman.

There, on my bed, just as I was waking up from my dream I cried, already missing her.

-----

I guess the effect the dream had on me was stronger than I thought since Spike got worried about me; ended up talking about him about the dream, we ended up talking about it through the entire breakfast and he insisted of talking about it with Princess Celestia. I knew that I could talk with her about everything, even more now considering my new wings.

Spike finally convinced me to send a letter to tell her about my dream, after all, who knew? Maybe it was a message from the Elements of Harmony? I mean, we still didn’t know everything about them and they could hold abilities and powers we still haven’t discovered, or maybe it was just mind playing tricks on me.

But my letter was soon followed by a response with just one line, ‘Come to the castle’, and there I went to the train station and an hour later there it was, Canterlot Castle, this one on the mountain side just where it belonged.

If before, when I was just Princess Celestia’s student I could walk everywhere without problems now there were ponies bowing down at me, talking to me in deference; it has been a week and it was as embarrassing and awkward as the day I became a princess, none of that helped my state of mind.

Finally I got into the castle and thanks to the guards stationed everywhere in it I wasn’t bothered until I reached the throne room and doing the exercise that Cadence taught me I was ready to see Celestia.

And there she was, as radiant as always, but after being with her for so many years I could see the lines of worry and… guilt? Pain? I don’t know; I have never seen that kind of reaction from Princess Celestia before.

“Twilight, thank you for coming, I hope you are well” thankfully her demeanor improved after seeing me arrive.

“Yes Princess”

“You don’t have to call me by my title Twilight, not anymore”

“Sorry Celestia, but after studying with you I think it will take me some time to get used to it, so, why did you summon me?” And once again the worried look assaulted her face.

“Please Twilight, tell me about this dream you had, tell me about the one you saw”

“Well, I couldn’t really see her at all, but I’m sure it was female, she never talks on my dream, and she just simply appears and saves me”

“Tell me Twilight, what color is her hair, her eyes” there was something akin to desperation in Celestia and I tried to remember everything I could about the girl with the shield.

“She… she has deep blue eyes, she is smiling at me… and her hair… is red with yellow highlights, it… it reminds me of the sun when the day is ending”

“As if looking at her you were watching a constant sunset” Celestia said making me look at her in surprise.

“Yes, but… how?” And the pain that found its way to Celestia’s face made my heart clench, it was so raw like everything she talked about Luna and the mistakes she did before the Nightmare.

“Because I know who you talk about, she is Sunset Shimmer, and she was my student before you Twilight”

“What… what happened to her?”

“Come with me, I guess you have the right to know” she said standing up and starting to walk in the direction of the sealed vaults; I remembered when Celestia had talked to me about these sealed storages, how they were full of dangerous artifacts and magic that had to be monitored due to their properties and history; opening one we went into it and there was only one thing in the vault, a tall mirror “this here is not just a mirror Twilight, it is portal that sends you to another world”

“Another world? What kind of world?”

“I’m not sure; I just know that the pony that goes through it never returns”

“Sunset Shimmer traveled to this other world?”

“Yes… right after I threw Sunset Shimmer out of the castle”

“You did what?! But why?” I was shocked, never have I ever heard of Celestia doing something like that.

“Sunset Shimmer was a brilliant pony, but her ego and pride made her look for more knowledge, the one that could transform her into an Alicorn, she even went into the forbidden part of the library just to look for information about ascension. When I found out I… I lost my head; I denounced her and banned her from the castle”

“So you just threw her out? You didn’t try to talk with her?”

“I had talked with her many times before about it… but in the end it didn’t matter, I threw her out of the only home she have ever known and in her desperation she fled through the mirror into another world” The guilt that Celestia was feeling was obvious on her face, it truly hurt to remember Sunset and the hand she had on her departure, but just as Celestia told me the story, the mirror began to shine with golden light “this is impossible, the mirror only activates every 100 moons and it is not yet time!” if Celestia was surprised then it meant this was serious.
After a few seconds both Celestia and I could see that an image was forming on the surface of the mirror, it was a golden triangle formed from three smaller ones, for some reason it didn’t feel like a normal symbol, it was like watching the Elements of Harmony for the first time.

“Celestia, what does this mean?” I saw the princess open her mouth to answer before another voice interrupted her.

“It is the symbol of a powerful source, it is old, even older than us” turning to the doors of the vault came walking Princess Luna, as serious and focused as ever “I do not know who made the symbol but is purpose is clear, it forced open the gate to this other world, and just like you Twilight Sparkle I have seen the darkness that will soon start corrupting that world, it is asking for help, maybe to save it or most probable to find this Sunset Shimmer” Luna said and I felt that she was right, I haven’t met Sunset Shimmer before but something inside me told me she was important.

I put a hoof on the surface of the mirror and watched it ripple as if it was the surface of a bathtub; looking one last time to the Diarchy of Equestria I gathered my courage and jumped straight into this other world, not knowing the adventure I was about to be part of.

The Legend of Celestia: Crystal Sunset

PreviousChapters Next