• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 729 Views, 140 Comments

My Little Witch - PoisonJoker09



As a new pony settles into the life of Ponyville, we have a peek into her strange life and activities, as she observes and causes some of the problems that happen in the area.

  • ...
2
 140
 729

B-Major, If You Please

Promises haven't been kept.

Even when I managed to answer the riddle sent to me, it seems that Prophet lost interest, I haven't had a response in a while.

On the other end of the spectrum, as well as the barrier between existences, Rainbow hasn't been spying on me like she promised. Whenever I haven't noticed her, which is unlikely, or she was simply venting steam is unknown. But I found that my brief scuffle with the Griffin has managed to give me a reputation.

Thus, I find an obvious promise I had broken, two to be exact. One was my temper, I had lost it over a petty few insults, or more precisely what I was addressed as. Two was my attempt to keep in the background, I suppose it was failing due to my reputation in bringing ponies to hospital, and maybe even the pleasantries I exchange with the Element bearers, still the incident with Gilda had managed to put me in the local grapevine.

I had a special crystal that allowed me to know when somepony was talking about me, my name or general appearance being described would activate it and let it glow a deep amber. Then the crystal would filter out background sound and play back clear voices in the conversation taking place, it only worked in a five mile range as I wished it, there was many a species who talked about me out of Equestria, so I would only know those in the immediate vicinity who talked about me behind my back.

It also seems that the stories had gotten all the more twisted than it seems a couple of days ago, in one I had not disabled her, but instead I had beat her bloody with my two hooves, in another I was the one who was knocked unconscious. Sadly enough I had picked up the obvious voice of Cloud Kicker saying how attractive I looked when I was 'kicking flank'.

I'll be avoiding her for a few days until she gives up her new enthusiasm to 'seeing how her aggression translates to bed'.

The more worrying one however was that of Twilight speaking to Spike, commenting how she found it strange that there was such thing as a quick acting chemical agent that disappeared upon use and only affected one creature, not to mention so quickly, effectively and with no traces of magic.

She had also been speaking about how she had compared this to when I had thrown my lesser brews at Nightmare, how strange it was that a soup maker was making such creations for use of anything but consumption.

I would need to put on a front for the rest of my time here, I was on shaky ground to be sure, but nopony was calling me out on misdeeds yet.

So, the next day was my new job as a merchant.

I had gathered a cast iron pot which wasn't my cauldron, as well as a ladle from the kitchen, last of all I spent some of my Bit's on normal ingredients to make some edible soup. After all of that, I simply had to occupy a empty stall in the marketplace and set up shop.

A Witch that was working in such an obvious looking scene, oh how my ancestors would laugh at this if they could see me now.

Several ponies had actually stopped by, and sampled the food and left the bit's, I was pleasantly surprised at my success. Of course I was good at regular cooking, my Cutie Mark covers the category of anything that is brewed, cooked, stewed and otherwise, I was rather proud that I could play the part of a salesmare however. Shows potential skills for later in my life.

Cloud Kicker had stopped by, suggested a uniform not entirely wholesome, and she talked for a bit while sampling the stew. Derpy the pegasus had crashed nearby and took a small bowl, which she promptly tripped and had it spill onto the ground, I don't even think she recognized me. And of course, Pinkie had to make a stop, long story short, it was Pinkie being Pinkie. How relaxing it felt when I could simply say that phrase and leave headache for another day. After all the different ponies had appeared and bought their fill, I had a decent income from the experience.

I was then, when I was soon running out of ingredients, that some form of sound soon was heard over the market clamor.

I lifted a ear to pinpoint it, it sounds like a classical strong instrument of some kind, I wasn't well versed in the different names or kinds.

Coincidentally, it was in the house right behind my stall.

Music... now, Song Shifts are the only music I see truly as practical, speeding up both productivity and unity, also it can trump threats and obstacles when utilized right. But I could agree that the gentle notes of whatever instrument was playing was rather good, and since I don't know music that well, that was an achievement.

I was what followed the performance afterwards that grated quite heavily on my ears.

Several synthetic sounding noises burst from the walls, while the strong instrument has carried itself quite lightly and softly through the walls of the house, this din was loud and deep, I swore that the walls of the house were now trembling in protest at the disruptive noise.

Strangely enough, even if this sound was quite chaotic and obvious, none of the ponies in the market place gave it a second glance. I could only assume this was something that had long been accepted in town, like Derpy and her flying mishaps and Pinkie pies exuberance.

Faintly, I heard some shouting from under the strange noises that had torn the relatively quiet street to pieces, and a few seconds later the loud din had ceased. The shouting still continued unhindered. I heard a few choice words such as 'racket' and 'a bunch of meaningless' and so on, this continued for a few minutes and then all became silent.

The front door opened, and out of curiosity I peered at the one who exited.

She had a white coat and was a unicorn like Rarity, but her mane was bright blue and spiky, with red highlights on the ends. She also had a large pair of sunglasses perched on the end of her nose as she walked past my stall it was clear she had a rather put down face. Her Cutie Mark was a musical note of some kind.

I looked over the the open door to see an earth pony with an exasperated face, she has a grey coat and neatly styled black hair and worse a collar with a pink tie around her neck, as she turned and shut the door, I caught a sight of a similar cutie mark, another musical note like the unicorn who left.

After that the rest of the day passed without incident, and I sold the rest of my brew easily.


I suppose that it should have been obvious to use a different tactic when it came to the more accepting towns in Equestria.

With all the the ponies here thriving on an age of peace and unity, it should have been obvious that somepony who didn't try to associate with others to be suspicious, with how the Elements could be my newest research potential I should hardly exclude myself from the public as a whole. If I were to isolate myself I would likely become a topic of discussion, especially considering how my accidental incidents had risen my infamy.

Now that I was working like any other in town would, it seems to have cooled down a number of problems... however, it seems that the foals of town had taken interest in me.

"Did you really take on a Griffin by yourself?" The squat blue unicorn colt asked me, I sighed a little as him and his friend followed my down the street.

"Yes, I simply managed too knock her out before she became volatile, anypony else in my position would do the same." I rolled my eyes discreetly, "And haven't your parents told you it's not safe to talk to strangers?"

"Hmm... Not really." The brown, taller and lanky one stated, his eyes blinked slowly, "Most ponies in Ponyville... are niiiicccce..."

Naive, this town is filled with very idiotic parents. Maybe this isn't unwarranted, after all even the worst of ponies here likely only do petty theft and other such things, but I am sure I look strange and intimidating enough to rung some form of warning bells.

"Look..." I looked at the two of them uncertainly.

"Ah! My names Snips, and this is Snails!" The blue one, Snips, answered me. To be honest I didn't really mind their names, I was just wondering exactly what I was going to say.

"I think it's best... that you find another idol to look up to, the Griffin incident is a one time thing, I think it is best that you look to another more, how to say, interesting pony in town." I nodded around, "There has to be a more interesting one in town for you to... express your enthusiasm for."

"Well, I suppose so, there is this unicorn magician in town! But we don't know where she is!"

A stage performer? That is a simple distraction.

"It's likely she is in the center of town if that's the case, to get more people to watch her show, for instance, next to town hall." Their eyes lit up in joy.

"Thanks miss Fortune! Come on Snails, lets get going!" He then ran, and was followed a few seconds later by his companion.

I meanwhile sighed in relief, I hope those children learn to respect their limits, a magic show sounds harmless at the very least...

Wait, a magic show? With a unicorn?

I thought on this for a second, weighing the very strange connection of these words.

An earth or pegasus magic show would of course be more interesting because it is obvious they can't use magic, but a unicorn one was kind of, redundant. I was naturally filled with curiosity over the prospect of a performer that would likely have a degree of disinterest towards her acts from this simple distinction.

... But there will likely be a lot of ponies there anyway to admire the act...

I looked at the Entities presence again...

"Okay, should I go or should I not?" I asked it, and awaited an answer.