• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 729 Views, 140 Comments

My Little Witch - PoisonJoker09



As a new pony settles into the life of Ponyville, we have a peek into her strange life and activities, as she observes and causes some of the problems that happen in the area.

  • ...
2
 140
 729

Riddle Me This~

Oh! This is so exciting you’re willing to play with me.
Well then let lay down some rules.
Rule 1: As stated before no getting help from other beings from the beyond but help from those in your world is allowed.
Rule 2: To submit your answer to my riddles please write them down, then say them out loud and then burning the item on which you wrote your answer on.
Rule 3: You can have three guesses per riddle.
Rule 4: When you guess the correct answer to a riddle you can either ask a question or ask for help with a problem and will help you to the best of my ability. You may hold your request for as long as you like. The only exception to this rule will be this first riddle as I have already stated your prize if you answer it correctly.
I do apologize for these steps but I have certain rules I must follow myself.
But I can give you a clue to the first riddle. It has very little to do with the Elements of Harmony.
Yours sincerely Prophet
Oh I almost forgot. If you want give up on a riddle just say out loud "I give up Prophet" I I will send you the next riddle.

Hmm... well, I suppose that's fair enough.

So, I solve a riddle, and you give a favor, very well then Prophet, I don't have much else to do as of the moment... And I suppose that favor could come in handy for the future, telling future events is unlikely, unless the event itself is

And since there is no mention of my previous attempts at answering, he won't accept them until I do this method of his.

I rummaged around in my bags and found some parchment, smoothing it on the table I thought on what my answers would be.

It wasn't about the Elements, and not about the Element bearers either now that I think about it, so I suppose Pinkie is off the possible suspects.

1#: Noise

That is my personal answer, I know it is likely not in line with another's perspective likely, but with two slots left it could be worth something. With the loophole Prophet had given me, I set out of the house towards Twilight Sparkle, a educated girl such as herself would likely have some form of opinion to it.

After that... Pinkie, even if she wasn't the answer, she could be a good reference point being the element of it.

Hopefully it will go better than our last conversation with her vomiting her guts out.


"What cannot happen without laughter..." Twilight repeated as she drew her eyes closed in thought, "Well, that is kind of a philosophical kind of question Scry, what exactly made you want to ask this?"

"I have been exercising my brain reading up on a few things." That happen to float by my face from time to time, "The riddle stood out to me and I decided a needed an extra opinion."

"Hmm... well, I suppose there has to be a book around her somewhere that looks into the issue..." She walked around the bookshelves and took them down in several bundles, flickering through a few pages occasionally and glancing at the covers.

For a few minutes I sat down and enjoyed the tea that her assistant dragon Spike had poured for me, and then Twilight came back with short piece called a 'Planet Without Laughter', the book itself had no title. Looking into it I found it was a alternate world where laughter did not exist, and what exactly would happen if it was introduced in small quantities. Towards the end, it was found that laughter had spread across the world at large and suddenly there was no one who didn't know of such a thing as laughter.

Scanning through the piece, I found the likely answer to it, there were several possible ones, but one seemed to ring true. So I hurridly wrote it down.

2#: Happiness

It's the closest message I can get from the passage, predictably, it's also the one I had guessed would be the general opinion.

"Does that help?" I turned to Twilight as she looked at me expectantly.

"It might, still it is better I get going now, sorry to have dropped in so suddenly."

"No, no, there's no trouble at all, anything for a friend."

Again, I find that these girls are rather east to jump to conclusions, I don't correct her however since she seems to believe what she is saying. I leave and make my way to Sugarcube Corner.


"Hey Scry-Scry! You're back again... hold on a second."

She then picked the candy she was about to eat, and smelled in suspiciously.

"... Pinkie, what are you doing?"

"Ever since the Baked Bad's incident, I've been watching these confectionery pieces with a careful eye. It won't be long, till I catch them red hoofed!"

"... Pinkie, you remember it was Applejack's fault in the first place that your muffins were spoiled correct?"

"Yeah... but you never know... I'M WATCHING YOU!" She shouted all of a sudden, and the candy dropped back in it's place again.

"... Pinkie, do you think you can give your answer on a certain question?"

"Sure Scry-Scry! Lay it on me!"

"It is 'What cannot happen without laughter'"

Her face suddenly screwed up, and she she shook her head, "Well, that's easy silly, it's Smiles."

"... Smiles?"

"Yup, and chuckles, guffaws, giggles, parties, jokes, pranks-

"Pinkie, I meant one thing, personally what cannot happen without it?"

"I just told you!"

"I can't put all of that as an answer, put it all under one word in general." I breathed a sign at her troublesome attitude. She responded after balancing on her back legs and pointing at me.

"Well I don't know! There's just so much Laughter has done for other ponies, you can't just pick one!" She fell back onto her hooves, "it's like picking your favorite pony, there's so many great ones out there that arsonists bring words of fire into their never-ending war!"

"... What?"

"In fact, if it is only one thing... then it would be Life!"

"Care to explain that?" I asked, intrigued at the rather interesting choice.

"Well... for one, without laughter, I would have never gotten the Cutie Mark I have today!" She spun around to show it clearly on her side, "Without laughter, nopony would have been able to enjoy my parties! Without laughter, I wouldn't be so close to my family as I am now! Without laughter, I wouldn't have my friends..." She drooped slightly at this, and looked back up, "Laughter is life, you can't truly live until you laugh! And everypony needs to laugh, because if you can't laugh with your friends, all the silly and funny moments in life, then life would be... empty."

I regarded the pink pony for a second, and gave a nod.

"Very well then... thank you for your assistance Pinkie, I'll take what you said under consideration."

"Alright Scry-Scry, and you don't worry, I'm sure you'll do your best with your riddle thing, and I hope you get it right!"

I stopped, and looked back at her.

The way she phrased it... how exactly did she know I was asking a riddle? Let alone that I was looking for the answer myself.

"Alright! I got-to-go now, I need to see Rainbow, I want to hang out with her." She then bounced away before I could pose a question, I groaned a little.

No matter how long I stay here, I still can't understand Pinkie Pie.

3#: Life


I found myself back at my home, with all of the choices written down.

I looked them over, judging their value.

Mine was of personal preference, but I suppose it was rather pessimistic... still, the only thing I can change it to at this point is-

1#: Humor

Again, rather lackluster, but better to cover my bases.

I looked at the 'presence' that connects me to the entity's, and cleared my throat.

"These are my answers I found for your riddle. Number one, Humor, number two, Happiness, and number three, Life."

I make my war to the fireplace I had previously lit up.

"Do with this what you will." I then threw the parchment into the fire where it began to burn.

Nodding my head, I stepped back and watch it twist upon itself...

And promptly burst into ashes all of a sudden.

I blinked, and watched as the ashes suddenly levitated and flew through the air, disappearing all of a sudden once it has reached the entity's connection...

I stared after it a few seconds, and shook my head.

"You really have a flare for the dramatics don't you all?"

I then decided to just experiment on some more brews today, and soon enough the riddle was out of my mind to the end of the day.


I stared... as the bucket perched above my door.

And the not too obvious giggles coming from a nearby bush.

Well, looks like Pinkie found Rainbow at least.

I kicked open the door, and stepped back as the bucket fell to the floor.

"Very funny you two, however, you should learn to less obvious with your-

As I stepped out, my hooves stuck itself to the ground, I tried to lift one of them but I found... it was difficult.

I looked down, at the hardened glue which had stuck me to the floor.

"PFFFFF-BHAHAHAHA!"

"*Snrk* Hehehehehe!"

The open laughter of those two made me sigh even deeper than before.

... I will admit, that was rather clever at the very least.