• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 729 Views, 140 Comments

My Little Witch - PoisonJoker09



As a new pony settles into the life of Ponyville, we have a peek into her strange life and activities, as she observes and causes some of the problems that happen in the area.

  • ...
2
 140
 729

Welcome to Ponyville

Welcome to Ponyville

"Daddy, why can't I have sleepovers?"

"Because little one, you can't trust even the most innocent of souls with our lifestyles."

"But they are my friends! I can promise they won't say anything bad…"

"Well, as much as that is true, being innocent also means one can be naive, young fillies and colts your age can't hold their tongue for secrets, they will see the magic of our household and I daresay they will talk about it the next morning."

"But you also said that anypony when they older become ignorant to our magic."

"Hm, already eight and making such insightful statements, indeed one becomes more skeptical about us, our secrecy has provided as such and generations of history cloud any and all prejudices, but anypony losing this also lose knowledge of such topics, and thus it becomes unknown, and nothing is more frightening than the unknown my dear. In a way, they are worse than young ones, for their lack of understanding that can clash against our lives."

"That… doesn't make sense, how can you be scared of something you don't know properly?"

"Because dear… sometimes the scariest things in existence, are those monsters we conjure from our own minds."

"… So I have to lie to my friends forever?"

"No my little Fortune… only till you can find friends that you can keep forever, and then you can be open to them."


I woke up with my eyelids seemingly gripping to my eyes, aches and pains went through my joints and I cursed to the black fires of Tartarus as I moved my limbs as much as I could seated, trying to shake away the inner drowsiness and stiffness present.

I looked around the compartment I was in, the musty air filled my nostrils and I gave an involuntary snort, I then turned my attention to the window.

The trees buzzed past as the train went past them; I internally groaned as the sunshine then filtered through the forest and went into my eyes, I hated waking up.

"Attention, next stop Ponyville, in five minutes, everypony remember to pick up your belongings on the way out, Canterlot is coming up after…"

I reached up and brought down my saddle bags, checking to make sure everything was inside it, and made my way to the exit.

The scenery was quite bright and colourful, even from the moment I stepped out it was obvious that everything was near perfect; I didn't see a single shrivelled flower or dark cloud.

Pegasus in my home town couldn't even bring about a breeze without disturbing something else in the air, I don't know how these ponies can be so happy, seems unnatural.

I quickly picked out one of my favourite trinkets from my satchel, a four pointed star and waved it around in front of me, I was met with a earthy glow from the right side of it, my head turned to look at the forest that sat a little away from town, walking distance.

But not much cover, I suppose it will be a nightly raid then, if I can settle into this place of course.

I made my way through the crowds and felt an uneasy feeling as I looked at the number of busy ponies working with each other to pick out decorations and some excited chatter, I managed to work out a celebration was coming up.

Great, hopefully places to rent weren't closed right now; don't think sleeping on the ground is going to do well for my back.

I looked up and down a few streets for anywhere that looked distinctive enough to rent a house from, but all I found was furniture, sweets and bakeries, it disgruntled me to no end and eventually I found the town hall.

I suppose a close knit community such as this would make it alright for the official leaders of the place to take up duties such as this, still would be easier just to put a sign on a building and have them work it out however...

I walked inside without any problem and was met with a waiting area, I felt rather out of place with my travelling garb so I prayed as I went up to the surprisingly lively looking mare who was minding the desk, and she gave a wide smile.

"Yes? How may I help you?"

I cleared my throat and spoke out airily, "I am thinking of moving in, so I was wondering where I could purchase a place of residence."

"Ah, well Mayor Mare usually enjoys giving ponies their homes here in Ponyville, but she is currently helping organize the supplies for the big day,"
She smiled even wider, if that was possible, "I however can help you with anything, you chose a busy day to move into Ponyville however."

Good, so no one would remember someone suddenly moving in, "Good, do you have any on the outskirts, I enjoy my privacy."

"Ah, I know what you mean, one of the other residents in Ponyville is incredibly shy, she lives near the Everfree to get away from the crowds." She then took out a roll of parchment and put it on the desk, inside was a birds-eye view of the town, "Alright, we have three empty places available, unless you'd like to build your place from scratch..." Her head not so subtly tilted to look at my flank which was covered, not to look suspicious, I hiked it up to reveal my Cutie Mark.

A cast iron pot that sits upon a flickering fire, and was stirred by a large wooden spoon, with multiple coloured fumes rising from the top.

"Soup maker," I lied, and turned my attention back at the map, only one of the locations was next to the forest so...

"I'll take this one, how big is it, and how much to rent?"

"Ah, it's a homely town so we don't charge rent other than the initial payment, Mayor Mare always enjoyed new ponies joining the town, it is two hundred bits if you please."

This town was WAY too relaxed, they just let anypony buy a house and settle down?

After fishing out the bits required, I took the key and just left.

Was this place a special case, or is everypony in Equestria this mind-numbingly care free?

I suppose I should be thankful it is as such, with a busy celebration, a secluded home and not even the real position of power knowing I moved in, I would likely fade into the background.

I looked around and properly looked at the decorations that were being arranged and ordered as I went, they didn't really call out any particular holiday I know of, maybe it was a Equestria holiday, one thousand years seems to be the substantial amount of time for a culture to derive new forms of celebrations.

Pretty soon I left the loud and plentiful activity behind and found the buildings thin out as I passed them, looking at the map given to me every now and then to remember where I was going, it wasn't long until I spied a path that was decorated with different sizes of rocks that led to my new home.

The cottage itself was quaint, it obviously looked rather decayed without a fresh coat of paint, and when I put the key in it struggled, the inside however, it made it worthwhile.

It had the basic necessities in furniture, table, chairs and so on, and a bed in a separate room, the kitchen was surprisingly modern with a fridge and cooker.

The only problem now, was the fireplace, it was too small.

I frowned at the large collection of bricks that only allowed enough room for firewood to be put in, it was far too narrow otherwise, I turned my back on it for a second...

And brought my hooves up to let out a strong kick that made something crack, and another buck made a dent, it wasn't long until I had managed to dislodge a substantial amount and widen the area underneath the chimney opening.

The old mortar and rubble was gathered up and simply thrown outside.

Now was the personalizing part, as I went around the house, I would take out the odd item and trinket and place somewhere I thought convenient, the table and end-tables were placed near the fireplace, and were covered in various plates and beakers, filled with some form of herb or liquid.
The kitchen has its drawers filled with my more sensitive materials.

My bed was untouched except for a special talisman hung over the top of it, a quick spin allowed for it to settle in place and do its magic.
And last of all, in the newly remodeled fireplace, I placed a thin metal stand, and a small copper cauldron on top, one of chairs was broken into pieces and filled the empty space under the stand.

With that, the house was complete, all I need now is a larger cauldron and I'll be back in business.

I made my way to the window, forcefully pressing on it to lodge it open, and looked out towards Ponyville, the festive decoration obvious even from so far away.

I was probably noticed by one pony, and anypony else probably glanced as I passed them and faded from memory.

And the receptionist would probably forget about me after whatever this celebration is.

What a lucky break...

Of course, this is only just moving in, I might have made my residence, but now living in it is the factor here.

It's far removed, so it is unlikely somepony will think to go all the way here to greet me, any supplies I need will be a quick trip to the market, but I will likely just pick a few things from the 'Everfree' as this forest is seemingly called.

Now all I have to do is wait for the Murky theory to screw me over.

For now... I feel in the brewing mood.

I then shut the window on that thought, and turned to my work area I had recently created.

I suppose a basic sleeping potion will have to do...

I hummed a little tune as I strike a match stick and placed it under the fire, soon enough it started up and I filled the copper pot with a base of water, one third full.

Soon enough, a number of ingredients followed, and with every Bonsoon berry dropped inside, and Licra leaf stewed, the familiar song made its way to my lips.

"A mish-mash of portions to make the potion,"
"A twisted natures gift, assistance from the outer rift,"
"So allow for trouble and make it bubble,"
"For I need a helping hand for my brew tonight..."

Ending with a three quarter stir with a second hand mixer spoon, I nodded in satisfaction as it slowly turned a purplish tint, I outstretched my tail and grabbed a special bottle, popping open the top and dumping half of the red powder into the pot, I stepped back to allow for it, explode slightly, before giving it one final 1 and three quarter turn.

I quickly doused the flames and let the mixture simmer for now, it should be ready for bottling within the hour.

I smiled briefly as the familiar pride for my talent set in, and sat down on the comfortable chair after a good half hours work.

It certainly wasn't easy being a witch, but it was well worth the effort...