• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 6,162 Views, 371 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of - Hustlin Tom



A man finds himself in Equestria after being teleported there by a shady human think-tank. As he learns to live among the pony populace, though, unsettling parallels between equine and human culture drive him to search for what their connection is.

  • ...
34
 371
 6,162

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Five

Twilight came up next to the Doctor and monitored his progress on the lock to Adam’s cell, all the while struggling with some questions that had been troubling her for the past couple minutes.

“Doctor?”

“What?” The Doctor asked with a small note of agitation as he was trying to concentrate on the lock.

“Um, well, see—“

“Twilight, you’re wonderful, but please either speak up or shut up: I’m trying to crack this lock here!”

“Why did you injure those ponies? I mean, I know they weren’t helping Adam, and they certainly weren’t going to help us, but—“

The Doctor’s eyes never left the lock as he spoke, “Twilight, I don’t believe in harming other beings willingly, but more importantly, I don’t stand aside and allow beings to hurt themselves or others. I try my best to persuade people, or in your case, ponies, from certain courses of action, just like you saw. And, just like usual, no one ever listens to me. I’m nine-hundred and five; you’d think people would listen to their elders! But, just like you saw, sometimes when people and ponies don’t do what I say, I have to step in and stop them.”

“But what gives you the right to decide what others do? Who died and made you Celestia?”

“What gave you the right to stop Nightmare Moon or Discord?”

“Well, they had to be!”

“What for?”

Twilight was getting exasperated, “Because it wasn’t right! What they were doing to the world and others was..wrong.” Twilight slowed as she pondered her own words. "Somepony had to step in and stop them, and we were there to do it."

The Doctor quickly took a glance at her and the other ponies listening to their exchange, “You all had to stop them, because they were harming others, because you had to save everypony, because you had the power and were in the right place at the right time, and because you had the friends you have to rely on and help you through. That’s what it means to be a guardian: doing the right thing for the good of all, even if you’re not sure of yourself; even if others question you and are afraid of you.” He paused, and looked back to the lock. “You really are lucky to have such friends, Twilight Sparkle. I wish I could have friends like yours.”

“Well, why don’t you?”

“A lot of the time they leave. Sometimes..I lose them. And, well, sometimes I simply outlive them.” The lock opened finally, and the Doctor stood up and looked down at the ponies behind him. They considered him with varying emotions; sadness, understanding, pity.

Rarity simply asked, “Who have you lost?”

“So many; countless, really. But the most important one..”

“It was somepony you loved, wasn’t it? You lost your love, didn’t you?”

“..Yes.”

“What was her name?”

The Doctor stood silently, but his shoulder’s slouching showed the renewed anguish he was experiencing, and then he uttered a singular syllable; “Rose.”

PreviousChapters Next