• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 6,163 Views, 371 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of - Hustlin Tom



A man finds himself in Equestria after being teleported there by a shady human think-tank. As he learns to live among the pony populace, though, unsettling parallels between equine and human culture drive him to search for what their connection is.

  • ...
34
 371
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Six

We walked back to Lyra’s cottage, our pace slow but even.

“Adam?”

“What?” I probably said it a little too forcibly.

“Uh, well, what is war?”

I stopped, and so did Rainbow. I looked down at her, and here again I was reminded of the true innocence of her race. I squatted down to her height and hugged her. Tears started to come to my eyes, and I kissed her on the forehead. I’m sure she felt awkward for this strange show of emotion, but I just couldn’t stop crying silent tears.

“I truly wish, Rainbow Dash, that I could ask the same question with the same amount of innocence you have.” I looked her in the eyes. My blue eyes to her violet ones. “You are..truly blessed.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I know.”

I stood up, and we continued on our way. “War..is when two groups fight over something.”

“That’s awful!”

“Yes it is.”

“Why do you do it?”

“Sometimes it’s because our friends are attacked, other times it’s because we want something, sometimes it over something trivial like if we have different skin color or beliefs.”

“You fight each other over stupid things like that?”

“It always seems so important at the time, but yes, it is stupid.”

“But once you’re done everypony goes back home..right?” Rainbow looked up to me.

“…No.”

“Would’dya mean ‘no’? Everypony has to go home at some point, or their families will miss them!”

“Sometimes Rainbow..people don’t come home. Sometimes..people don’t die of old age, or disease, or accidents. In war, people kill each other.”

She stopped; stuck to the spot she last placed her hooves in shock.

“You.. kill..each other?”

“Yes.”

She looked at me, her eyes hollow. “Have you..killed.. anypony?”

“No.”

“Why do your people keep doing it then?”

“War?”

“Yeah, why do you keep killing each other? It’s horrible!”

“Some do it to help out their friends, others say they do it because they forget; they don’t remember the horrors war brings.” My face hardened like stone. “I don’t believe them. Between war and an alternative, the alternative is always preferable. They say wars bring out the demons in men. I call that wishful thinking; war brings to a head the monsters humans really are.”

“But you’re not a monster Adam! You’re nice and friendly, you don’t want to be a part of war. You are not a monster!”

We had reached the clearing in front of the Lyra’s and Bon Bon’s cottage, and I was about to reply to my Pegasus companion, when my breath stopped in my throat. Outside the doorway of the cottage were ponies dressed in regal military attire. Lyra and Bon Bon were hogtied in front of their home and a metallic clamp was placed over Lyra’s horn, I’m assuming to prevent her from using her magic. A tan regular pony in a lab coat saw us with his sharp bespectacled eyes. He motioned a phalanx of 6 ponies towards us, who slowly edged their way towards me and Rainbow Dash. Lyra saw me out of the corner of her eye, and she screamed, “ADAM! RUN!” The six ponies now began galloping toward me.

“Rainbow, fly away, now!”

“I’m not gonna leave you to them!”

“They’ll take you too, and I’m not letting anyone else sacrifice themselves for me! Now go!”

I picked her up, and threw her in the air, and as she flapped her wings to gain altitude, the military ponies were closing the gap between us. Bon Bon yelled to me, “Run you stupid foal! Run!” They were both being gagged. I did the only thing I could do, and I ran away from my two greatest friends in the world.

PreviousChapters Next