• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 6,163 Views, 371 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of - Hustlin Tom



A man finds himself in Equestria after being teleported there by a shady human think-tank. As he learns to live among the pony populace, though, unsettling parallels between equine and human culture drive him to search for what their connection is.

  • ...
34
 371
 6,163

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Two

After the night’s events, Lyra and I headed back to our hotel where we both hit the bed, and in my case the floor, snoring. In the morning, Bon Bon, Lyra, and I headed to the place where Lyra would be practicing that night’s music with the ensemble. Though I was invisible, Bon Bon and consequently I got to meet the renowned cellist Octavia, who had been classmates with Lyra back in their filly days. Octavia had been one of the first to gain her Cutie Mark, and she had been a master of her talent for some years now. She was reserved, which made her seem aloof, but she had a warm heart, and she also had an Italian accent! During the practice I politely sat unseen in one of the corners, but afterwards Bon Bon and I headed back to the hotel, while Lyra headed into the second portion of her long day of practice before the Gala festivities.

As we neared the hotel, Bon Bon passed a newsstand from which she purchased a sheet. She placed it on her back and she headed into the hotel, while I once again did the ‘back alley upward wall shuffle’. After letting me in and getting comfortable, she laid down and began to read. Initially, her face showed her boredom. Then she came across an item that made her eyes bulge. She looked up at me and yelled “YOU WE’RE SEEN?!!”

I quickly covered her mouth, for fear somepony might come. “Shhh. Yeah I was, but everyone thought I was just Lyra’s pet.”

She shoved the paper in my face. “Read the article!” she hissed at me. I looked at the headline on page 4: ‘Creature breaks up nightclub scene: ponies in distress’.

Bon Bon pointed with her hoof, “read further down here!”

“Where? Your hoof is covering up half the article!”

“Just. Eeeerrrggh!” She now pointed with the tip of her hoof. “Right. There!”

‘Royal Science Division is investigating similar creatures which seem to have been spotted in Ponyville. The creature is described as going on all fours when docile and when provoked walks on its two back legs. Reports also indicate that a pony of Ponyville was severely harmed by one of these creatures, and all who come in contact with it are advised to keep their distance and to alert the authorities immediately.’

“But I didn’t harm anypony! All I did was frighten Fluttershy a little, she’s not injured!”

“Regardless, you’re now gathering to much attention here,” Bon Bon said. She looked up at me “We’re going back to Ponyville; now.”

“But Lyra’s still here!”

“You are not safe here! You’re probably not safe in Ponyville either, but at least it’s familiar ground!”

“I’m not leaving her.”

“You have to! It’s for your own good. She would want you safe, and I’m going to make sure that happens, whether you like it or not!” There was no point in arguing now. Bon Bon had put her hoof down, and, as much as I hated to admit it, she was right. Staying here was not just endangering me, but also Lyra as well. Bon Bon left the paper on Lyra’s bed, and a note with the concierge saying 'Your pet is in bad shape, I’m going home to help him'. And we left Canterlot behind us that very afternoon. We arrived in Ponyville in the wee hours of the next morning, and we were both a wreck.

PreviousChapters Next