• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 6,162 Views, 371 Comments

A Journey Unthought Of - Hustlin Tom



A man finds himself in Equestria after being teleported there by a shady human think-tank. As he learns to live among the pony populace, though, unsettling parallels between equine and human culture drive him to search for what their connection is.

  • ...
34
 371
 6,162

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fifty-Three

After brushing up the remains of the chalkboard with a dust pan and broom while dressed as a janitor, Discord placed a TV onto a small table before Lyra’s desk.

“What is that?”

“It’s called a television, and ponies haven’t invented it yet. Now shush! The movie’s starting!”

Lyra looked down to see she was now sitting on a comfortable patchwork couch. She looked over at Discord, who was munching on a box of popcorn while sporting a pair of 3D glasses.

As the program began, an announcer said “The following broadcast is supported by several foundations nopony cares about and viewers like you. Thank you!”

“I love public broadcast!” Discord murmured happily.

Lyra looked up at him with a face that expressed her half-bewilderment.

Then the narrator began, while images of large unbroken pieces of ice were shown, “Many years ago, the world was a much different place from what it is today. Glaciers roamed the planet, there was no sun, and the globe’s surface was utterly lifeless.”

“What?” Lyra asked in disbelieving surprise.

“I know, the place was dreadful back then: practically no chaos at all!” Discord exclaimed as he bit down into another mound of popcorn.

“But beneath that surface was a utopia created by the dominate life-form on the planet: humans.”

Lyra’s jaw dropped.

Discord giggled in excitement, “Oh hang on, the punch line is coming up!”

“The human race had created a paradise beneath the frozen wastelands, and everyone knew peace.” Discord heaved over in laughter so hard he almost fell off of the couch.

“What's so funny about that?” Lyra snapped at the chimera.

Discord wiped a tear from his eye and snorted in laughter, “Oh, you might see soon enough!”

“One day, the scientists of the human race discovered a large hole in the fabric of space, and they studied the radiation emitting from the hole. They discovered that any living thing that came into contact with the radiation began to mutate dramatically, until it almost became unrecognizable from what it once was. The scientists began exposing different animals to the energies of the hole, and found they could create any type of animal through increasing exposure to the mutating energy. Many animals were tested: canines, eagles, salamanders, horses—“

“Wait, what?” Lyra exclaimed loudly.

Discord stopped the television from playing even as he laughed and laughed. “Ohoho, you should see the look on your face! It’s absolutely priceless!”

Lyra couldn’t believe what she had just heard; she, her friends, family, everypony she had ever known, her entire race, were just the product of some group of humans meddling with horses?

Discord had calmed down by this point, and was simply staring off into space. Anger grew and grew in Lyra’s heart, until finally it burst forth. “This isn’t true! You’re lying! You have to be lying!”

“ ’The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it,’ “ Discord quoted. He turned to Lyra and smirked, “But who’s to say whether you can trust what I’m saying at all? You see, Lyra, I’m Chaos incarnate; I might be lying, I might be telling the truth. But, ironically, I’m consistent in at least one thing, and that’s being inconsistent.”

The couch and the TV disappeared and Lyra was rudely dropped to the floor. Discord was now lying belly down on the table while tracing an invisible line on the floor with his finger, while propping up his head with his paw. “I’m the closest thing this world has to a god; I might be stuck in a magical stone prison, but I never remain imprisoned for too long. I’m a part of the universe, and Celestia and Luna can never fully stop me, because you know what would happen if they did? The entirety of existence would collapse and nothing would work. Everything would die, because without chaos there is no life at all, and order is the death of everything. It’s inescapable, just like waking up from a dream.”

Discord stood up, and slowly walked out of the light, leaving a crushed and confused Lyra. “You’ll remember what I said, and then you’ll find out whether what I’m saying is true or not. Goodbye Lyra, have a nice day!” His chuckle grew and grew into a roaring laughter even as it faded into the background. Lyra’s eyes grew heavy and then closed. Then, Lyra woke up.

PreviousChapters Next